“Additional Charm to an Already Charming Old Town”
Review of Glockenspiel

Glockenspiel
Ranked #42 of 177 things to do in Salzburg
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The Salzburg Glockenspiel can be found on the Residenzplatz. The bells go back to the early 18th century when these 35 bells first woke up this sleepy little town. The bells do not play on the hour as I first thought, but only at 7AM, 11AM, and 6PM. The Glockenspiel ranges over 3 octaves and can play over 40 tunes from Haydn to Mozart.

The plaza is a nice place to have a mid-morning cappuccino and relax and listen to this magical event that will take you back to the time of the horse and cart. If you're visiting between March and the end of October tours can be taken on Thursday night or Friday morning. For tickets, go to the museum box office.

9  Thank DannyMac13
There are newer reviews for Glockenspiel

Reviewed 28 September 2013

We shopped the whole afternoon at the main shopping street before reaching here. We wanted to have a coffee at the nearby cafe while waiting for the chimes to start but much to our disappointment the outdoor area of the cafe was closed... no point staying indoor in this case.. Love listening to the chimes, but it's really short. It repeats for 3 times I think (we left after the 3rd time).

Reviewed 16 September 2013

My husband and I both like glockenspiels and have listened to some in a number of locations so we made a point of being in the Mozartplatz when the chimes were scheduled. This meant waiting in the rain for an hour and a half after we finished our other touring [although we did browse through some of the nearby shops in the meantime]. The chimes did not start right at 6pm but were delayed a little bit and while the sounds were beautiful, it sure didn't last very long. My husband loved it but I was disappointed that it was over so quickly - less than 5 minutes total. Maybe my expectations were too high and perhaps the rain dampened my enthusiasm but I had hoped for more.

1  Thank Lynda A
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Like many old things, you have to like historical pieces to appreciate it. The is always a crowd but you can see it and hear it. If you are a clock buff, it's a must-see.

1  Thank TheShoeDiva
Reviewed 28 January 2012

This glockenspiel has 35 bells, located across from the Residenz. You can enjoy listening to the chimes, while having a coffee at one of the cafes on the edge of Mozartplatz.