“Very faded grandeur!!”

Ranked #7 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
“Very faded grandeur!!”
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Very unusually I feel that my fellow Tripadvisor reviewers have let me down! I booked this hotel on the strength of their reviews and was sadly disappointed. I hate to be a killjoy and am not opposed to a bit of shabby grandeur but this Schloss is resting on its laurels and the ghost of the 'Sound of Music'!
We booked a standard suite with the promise of spacious, sophisticated accommodation with a view of the castle or the park. What we were actually offered was a very ordinary, gloomy, badly furnished (antique or not) suite with no view at all, perhaps the Winter view would be ok with no leaves on the trees!! I asked to see another suite with a view of the lake and was graciously shown another 'standard' suite with a very lovely view of the lake for the same price, better furnished but still musty. I was told that that this suite was smaller and that was why we were offered the 'no view' suite first of all. Moral of this story don't accept the first offer without question. Eventually plumped for a premium double in the refurbished building which also had a great view of the lake, modern facilities but unfortunately also with radiators that didn't turn off (even when I asked the front desk to help) and I roasted for the rest of the night! The reception and cafe by the way looked like a youth hostel.
No doubt this is a beautiful and historic building in a lovely setting attempting to offer an 'authentic' experience but my advice would be to look at it from afar on the 'Sound of Music' tour and stay in a comfortable 4/5 star hotel with a decent restaurant and bar in the center of town for the same price!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynnpatricia
danielszelenyi, General Manager at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Lynnpatricia

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your experience at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron.

Our Standard suites are advertised with "views either over the Schloss park or the fortress Hohensalzburg". The suite we had reserved for you was located on the third floor, with a view over the century old park with its large trees. Rather surprisingly, these trees grow leaves and become green over the summer (mother nature is full of surprises) and I apologize that your view of the park was overlooking these trees.

I am, however, truly sorry for the inconvenience caused by the malfunctioning heater, an issue we were unfortunately only fix in the morning.

We spent a lot of time renovating the Reception and Café and incorporated a variety of details, including a vintage radio, historic silver samovar, and a baroque candlestick and I am sorry they are not to your taste.

It's unfortunate that you reduce Schloss Leopoldskron to the Sound of Music when in fact it has so much more to offer. I am sorry to hear that you did not find the experience of staying in a 278-year old palace built for an Archbishop sufficiently authentic.

Sadly you also forget to mention that following your onsite complaint our Reception staff have done everything to try to make up for the initial glitch during your stay. Nevertheless I would like to thank you for your review.

Kind regards

Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Champery, Switzerland
Reviewed 8 May 2014

The schloss is, unlike many stately homes, kept in very fine condition and each room in the main schloss is unique and while I didn't see all of them, those I did see were really splendid, with all the comforts of a 5-star hotel combined with the splendid decor of a palace. Breakfast in the morning is a very good buffet; the staff are friendly - and in the case of the front desk staff, positively chirpy. If you stay in the Meieirhof, right next to the schloss, you'll find you are in very modern, brand-new rooms; this was redecorated quite recently. One thing the Meierhof rooms would benefit from: tea and coffee-making facilities in each room. They will give you these if you ask for them, but it would be better if they came standard.
The views are really beautiful, from the lake out the back to the mountains above, and the charming center of Salzburg is a short walk away. I had a cold whilst staying there and the staff couldn't have been more helpful.

Room Tip: In the Meierhof, ask for a room with a view of the Schloss (some face the courtyard, which is pleasa...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Nick A
danielszelenyi, General Manager at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Nick A

Thank you very much for your kind review. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us so much and will gladly take your feedback about tea and coffee making facilities in the room into account. Sorry to read about your cold but glad our team looked after you.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron I remain with

Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed at the Schloss Leopoldskron in the Mierhoff building when I was visiting Salzburg and let me start by saying it is just beautiful. I had read many reviews from others before the remodel and I was a bit hesitant but I was just astounded at the work that has gone into the remodeling. The rooms are brightly painted and have all new furniture. The bathroom was large and had outlets for me to plug my appliances into and was well supplied new hairdryers and towels in the rooms. I slept like a dream with the windows open and the birds chirping on the bedding. There was a flat screen Tv and lots of closet space. The WIFI was great in the room so I was able to catch up with my emails. The staff was so kind. They immediately walk you to your room upon check in showing you the hotel in the process. They stay to make sure you have everything you need before they leave. I awoke Easter morning to find chocolate easter bunnies and easter eggs at my door. I was so surprised and delighted as I had almost forgot about the holiday tradition as I am no longer a child and do not expect an Easter Basket. The receptionist were helpful at recommending restaurants and things to see. I asked the front desk to book the Sound of Music tour for me and they did so even arranging for the tour van to pick me up at the hotel prior to the tour. The breakfast was amazing and the chef even makes little breads in animal shapes that are served to your table. On the buffet were eggs, bacon, sausages, breads, cakes, jams, oatmeal, yogurt and many more items. Hot teas, cold juices and coffees were available to all guest. The wait staff was just as attentive as the check in staff making sure our used plates were clean and we had everything we required. The Schloss itself was beautiful and all the rooms were oipen for viewing. The library was warm and inviting and the formal sitting rooms beautiful. We spent many hours just walking the grounds watching the ducklings wander. The view from the Schloss and the Mierhoff was of the lake Leopoldskron and could be considered entertaining all by itself. The grounds are very well kept and even the gardner waved as he passed by. Upon checkout I asked to see the manager just to tell him how much I enjoyed my stay and that I would be back. I am just elated as to the serenity of this place and the hospitality. On another note a cab ride to town is just 8 Euros and will save you the hassle of parking downtown and the fees that are associated with it. I also mention the hotel offers free parking.

Room Tip: The Schloss has the best rooms in the house but if you stay in the Mierhoff Building make sure to ge...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tracy8358
Dear tracy8358

Thank you very much for your detailed review about your recent stay with us. As I mentioned to you upon your departure already, I was very happy to learn how much you enjoyed your time with us and in Salzburg.

We spent a lot of time designing our new rooms and adding sufficient outlets for electrical devices was a key factor both in the bathrooms and bedrooms. I am pleased you liked our little Easter touches, too.

Thanks again for your kind review. Our team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Salzburg in the future!

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Leopoldskron is one of the most beautiful and sympathetic hotels we've been before. The hotel is situated in a wide park on a small lake. The room where we've slept was situated in the Meierhof beneath the castle. It was very spacious, had a great view over the lake and into the Alps. The city centre is within walking distance. We've chosen for our tour through Salzburg the cycles, which are free of charge for the hotel guests. The service team is very polite, never obstrusive. Compliment to Mrs. Karin Maurer and Mr. Daniel Szelényi. The room were very clean. The breakfast was sumptuos. It is a great thing that every guest of the hotel can walk through the whole castle, take a seat in the cabinet rooms, have a look into the library, walk through the extensive parc. So that creates a very familiar situation, feels like beeing at home. Only the service team at the breakfast is a little bit to fast: they take the plates every time they see an emty one. So this is a little bit irritating. We've had a amazing and great stay at the hotel and the city of Salzburg.

Room Tip: The rooms in the first floor in the Meierhof with lakeview are the most beautiful ones. The rooms in...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear BernhardvZ

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay so much and appreciate your feedback on our breakfast service, something I will address personally with our team.

Again, thank you for your kind review. I look forward to welcoming you and your fiancé back to Salzburg soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed here two nights last week as part of our road trip through Bavaria and it was the perfect way to end our trip. This hotel was used for part of the Sound of Music filming and is rich in Salzburg history. There are two buildings, one with suites and one with "smaller" rooms. The suites have not been renovated and therefore are still decorated and look similar to how they have probably looked for 50 years. The other building was incredible though - rooms renovated just weeks ago with Restoration Hardware like decor. Our room was huge and had an incredible view of the lake!

The breakfast buffet which is included with the room was HUGE and delicious, served in the ballroom of the main house. The room itself left us in awe. The service at the hotel was impeccable the whole time. Our favorite moment at the hotel was sitting on the gorgeous veranda, overlooking the lake, at sunset with a glass of champagne.

Check out my blog - A Healthy, Happier Bear - for more pictures and images.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ashdiamond83
danielszelenyi, General Manager at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Ashdiamond83

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron.

I am pleased to hear how much enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for your comments on your Premium Double Room in the (recently renovated) Meierhof building. The building with the suites is the Schloss itself, where we also serve our daily breakfast.

Again, thank you for your feedback. I am glad you take such lovely memories home with you and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Salzburg in the future.

P.S. Great blog!
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for one night on a business trip last week. The room in the historic building was freshly renovated and provided a cosy atmosphere. The check in/out staff as well as the breakfast waiters were extremely friendly. The entire estate is very charming. The bar was only partially refurbished but I didn't bother as the cake I ate there was really delicious. I look forward to going there again on a private trip with my family.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lukas H
danielszelenyi, General Manager at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Lukas H

Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron. I am pleased to hear you had such a great experience and enjoyed the atmosphere of our newly renovated rooms in the Meierhof.

Indeed, the café is yet to receive its bar counter (which will arrive next week!) but I am glad you enjoyed our fresh homemade cake.

I look forward to welcoming you back along with your family! Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

My wife and I attended a wedding at the Schloss on Saturday 8th March. We stayed in the Meierhof which had been refurbished only 2 weeks before we had arrived. My wife and I were blown away firstly by the beautiful location and secondly, the quality of the rooms. The service at the hotel was impeccable from start to finish and most importantly including the day of the wedding.
My only reservation about this hotel was there was no evening meal service or bar within the property but my understanding is they are in the process of getting something put in place. This however was such a small issue as they have a good relationship with the restaurant next door and the service and food there was also excellent.
I can 100% recommend this hotel to anybody who is looking for an experience in Salzburg and will consider staying at the hotel again when I return to Salzburg.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank darusso99
danielszelenyi, General Manager at Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear darusso99

Thank you for your kind review about Hotel Schloss Leopoldskron.

What a beautiful wedding it was indeed! Also, I am delighted you enjoyed our newly refurbished rooms as well as the quality of our service.

Again, thanks for your review and looking forward to welcoming you back to Salzburg!