“Stay elsewhere, managers are absurdly rude and uncaring.”

Airporthotel Salzburg
Airporthotel Salzburg
Ranked #109 of 132 Hotels in Salzburg
Houston, Texas
“Stay elsewhere, managers are absurdly rude and uncaring.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

We booked this hotel due to a flight interruption and needed somewhere close to Salzburg airport, the location for the airport is good.
However, we have never been treated more rudely by hotel staff anywhere. We could not connect to their advertised free wifi and our enquiries we're meet with distain and scoffing. First an older lady a reception laughed at us, latter the old man manager pulled faces and told us we were lying that we could not connect he then walked of tut tutting. We asked for a new pass code as the older lady had taken our pass code, he was visibly angered. I wondered if we were staying in Fawlty Towers or on Candid Camera.
The new code did not work and we noted that the transmitter near our room appeared to be off, my husband went back to reception and was told we should just come downstairs to use wifi. Unbelievable attitude.

Stay elsewhere, other businesses deserve custom.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Hotel is next to farmland which meant it attracted a lot of bugs. no air con so either had bugs or roasted. went for the bugs and got eaten alive by mosquitos. Rooms were drab, towels not much more than tea towels, pool closed when we wanted to use it, mini bar empty. not worthy of 4 stars. only positive is can easily walk to airport but suggest stay somewhere else and get a cab.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Salzburg hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

do NOT book here unless you HAVE to.

The hotel room is HORRIBLE with no AC. During the summer, you have to crack open the windows because it is just too hot. The hotel is situated near a nasty farm land or something and tons of bugs just come into the room if you leave your window open. I also found hairs of others on my bed sheet AND in the bathroom...pretty gross.

The worst part of this hotel was the service and attitude of the employees. Especially some disrespectful dude at the front counter. He acted like a 5 year old who needed some attitude counseling...tried to cut up my credit card (which is made out of metal) because i did not have a signature on it. I wrote to just check ID and provided him my drivers license as proof that is was my credit card. He then proceeded to scream and go BERSERK saying its Austrian Law...i faked like i signed my card, and then he proceeded to process my payment. The whole time he was really really upset for some odd reason...still trying to figure out why...

Please avoid this hotel if you are looking for something decent. it's just not worth it. I took a risk after reading some negative reviews, but do not make the same mistake i did.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
bangalore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

Hotel is very close to the Salzburg airport. Hotel is reasonably priced. Service is not so good. Facilities are limited. Away from City center. Good for early morning/ late evening arrivals. Not recommended if you are tourist to see Salzburg. Hotel is neat and clean. Do not have very high expectations from the hotel.

Room Tip: Nothing specific
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

What does "Airport hotel" mean to you? A soulless concrete and glass building with plastic furniture and food to match? Not in Salzburg. The Airport Hotel is an alpine chalet opposite a working farm and yet only five minutes walk from the airport entrance, through the car park.
We were stranded at the airport when flooding meant we could not get to our resort hotel. A warm welcome immediately took away the chill we had from walking over in the pouring rain.
Our double room (E135 per night including breakfast) was spacious, clean and comfortable. A request for extra pillows was immediately fulfilled. The large lobby included a cosy bar which served generously-sized portions of food - the goulash soup really hit the spot.
For me the best part of the stay was finding, and using, a lovely indoor swimming pool (there's also a gym/fitness room if you like that sort of thing). The pool and surrounding area was superbly decorated with classical-style mosaics - in fact all the public areas of the hotel as far as I could make out were well furnished.
The hotel has several special offers including a three-night stay with tickets for a classical concert, a sightseeing tour and a 24-hour Salzburg Card for free or reduced admissions, for E325 pp in a double room. Great for a long weekend I would think, with frequent buses from the airport to the citycentre. Oh yes, the airport: it's not that busy so airplane noise isn't a factor
I can't say we were sorry to leave in order to get to our original holiday destination, but what could have been a disaster turned out to be a pleasant surprise.
And a special word of praise for the hard-working staff who stayed cheerful even though they had no idea when, if at all, many of their guests would arrive, due to the widespread flooding in Austria and Germany - indeed one group arrived well after midnight. But no sign of fatigue or ill temper at breakfast the following day.

Room Tip: Singles at the back are a bit compact and do gey more traffic noise - not that there's a lot of...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leeGlosUK
Lee, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

Wonderful hotel. Beautifully decorated on the inside and the rooms were immaculate. I would have stayed at this hotel the entire time I was in Salzburg had it not been so far away from all the sites I wanted to see. It seemed a shame to only get to enjoy this hotel on the last night of my trip. It is right on the airport grounds so after checking out you can simply walk right out of the hotel's front door and right to the airport terminal. I will definitely be staying here again when I return. It had a wonderful charm about it, the hotel staff was accommodating enough and the bar menu was simple but tasty. The only negative thing I can say about this hotel is that it was a bit pricey.

Room Tip: This is a great hotel!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank simmonr
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night prior to an early morning flight out of Salzburg Airport. I had read several negative reviews on Trip Advisor, and debated changing my plans. In the end, I am glad we stayed here.

First the good:

If being close to the airport is important to you, then you cannot do any better than this. It takes about 3 minutes to walk from the hotel's front door to the check in counter in the terminal.
The room we were in was clean, and quite large. The furnishings were quite plain, but I was not really expecting much. The bed was a little firmer than I am used to, but the room was quiet and we slept quite well. The hotel and rooms were also quite clean.
The young woman who manned the reception desk when we checked in was friendly and helpful. When we asked about suggestions for dinner, her suggestions included trying one of the restaurants at a nearby shopping centre (about a 10 minute walk from the hotel), and we ended up eating at a tapas bar in said shopping centre. When we checked out in the morning, the older woman on the desk spoke neither English nor French, but through many gestures and rapid fire German punctuated by the occasional "OK?" managed to convey the information necessary.
I found it was much cheaper to rent a car at the airport than in town, and planning around car rental returns is much easier if you are staying near the airport.
The breakfast buffet, included with the room, is fine - yoghurt, lots of bread, pastries, meats, eggs & cheeses - and the diningroom where the breakfast is served is warm and comfortable.

The Not So Good:
The room rates are rather high for what one gets, and the three day prior cancellation policy is mystifying, if not downright stupid. That said, I doubt this hotel is ever full up, and one could probably call the day before to book a room without too much trouble.
While conveniently located for the airport and one shopping mall, the hotel is not conveniently located for anything else.

In the end, this is an airport hotel. For me, and as with any airport hotel, anywhere in the world, convenience, sleep quality and cleanliness are of primary importance. In these, the Airporthotel Salzburg delivers. I would not stay here as a base for a visit to the area, but for a one night stay, consider this:

Salzburg airport is small. We had a 6:30am flight from Salzburg. We were able to check out, walk over to the airport and check in for our flight at 5:00, then return to the hotel by 5:15 and have a relaxed breakfast. It took 3 minutes to walk back to the terminal, 5 minutes to clear security and about 30 seconds to walk to the gate. We waited about 10 minutes before our flight boarded. This was a far better option than taking a train or car back to Munich for the onward flight.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank WDTVancouver_Canada
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salzburg
Hotel Himmelreich
#79 of 132 in Salzburg
Hotel Astoria Salzburg
Hotel Astoria Salzburg
#49 of 132 in Salzburg

Been to Airporthotel Salzburg? Share your experiences!