1. My experience here had been bad from the moment I arrived. It is not hard to find, but it is far. Finally I reached around 1:30. In the booking site where I'd booked from, they said check in time was between 2pm-10pm. My travel time had been long and I couldnt wait to get to my room. I told the person in the reception that I was checking in and she told me the rooms werent ready and to wait. I waited until 2:30 then I asked another receptionist again and she said it still wasnt ready. I was sitting RIGHT IN FRONT of them. Literally. I asked her to let me know when it was ready so that I could go in. I asked the other girl that too. I waited and waited until it was 3:30 and I was getting frustrated by the minute. Finally I couldnt bear it any longer and asked at the reception again if my room was ready. Apparently both the girls had forgotton about me (there werent many people checking in during that time anyway) and the room had already been ready way back. They murmured a half hearted apology and led me to the room. (later I checked other websites too, and some had 2:00pm check in time and others had 3:00 pm check in time.. this needs to be straightened up).
2. I was VERY disappointed when I saw the room. It was in the basement and was very dingy looking and was apparent that it was not cleaned properly. There were dead insects all over the floor and the table and a few other alive ones were walking on the floor and found one also on the bed. There was no washroom in the room also and I was not told where it was during check-in, nor was I told where the kitchen was or anything else that I had heard them reciting to the other ppl who checked in.
3. I finally found the washroom and that was dirty as well. I found it difficult to put my stuff anywhere because it looked so dirty. Parts of the shower had molds in them and again, the washbasins and its surrounding area hadnt been cleaned properly, if not At all ! When I got back to the room to hang my towel, I encountered moths. Again, getting more and more disappointed.
4. There are only 2 kitchens, on the 1st and 3rd floor for the whole hostel (which is quite big). the kitchens are not big anyways, maybe because no one uses them since there are no dishes to cook with. You need to have all your own dishes if u wish to make anything. Also, the fridges have lockers inside them and you need a key from the reception if you want to keep anything in the fridge.
5. The only advantage that I can think of, of this place is that you can hire bicycles directly from this place, as in Salzburg everyone seemed to ride a bike around town. But again, its only a plus point to people who actually use the facility.
6. The wifi is only available in the lobby, whereas it was advertised as "Wifi available in all areas". That was a big disappointment too.
7. There is no common room/ area where people go to mingle (maybe like a bar). There is a cafeteria which closes by 10 and thats it.
8. When I awoke the next day, there were bites all over my thighs... maybe the bugs on the bed had something to do with those.
9. It is definitely NOT like your usual hostel even though there are dorms here. If you are looking for a fun place to stay with lots of young people and to have fun, I definitely DO NOT RECOMMEND this place to you. It seems this is mostly for older people with families who come with cars and kids and their own dishes to cook with.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Kolping Hostel Salzburg is the perfect basis to discover the city of Salzburg or the countryside. Comfort, almost like in a hotel, awaits you to attractive prices. You can choose from one- to four-bed rooms, which are equipped in a modern way. There is a Cook & Chill Area, a Lounge & Info Corner, where there is free WiFi, and a laundry & drying room also awaits you. There are lots of activities you can explore. Either you choose to use the sports areas from the hotel or you go into the city of Salzburg and enjoy the Austrian culture. Also you must not miss the beautiful landscape of Land Salzburg. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HostelWorld, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Evoline ltd so you can book your Kolpinghaus Salzburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.