Kolpinghaus Salzburg
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Pension Jahn(Salzburg)
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsthe riverstayed here for nightstriple roomshort staythe busminute walkdryercitydeskeurope
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with friends in a 4 bed dorm. Impressed with how clean the room was and the shared bathroom (although no-on else seemed to use the bathroom so was practically private!). Room was of a decent size and had 4 individual lockers (free of charge). The hostel was about 20 minutes from the centre of Salzburg but very easy to find by walking straight along the river.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Kolpinghaus Salzburg was a little bit cheaper than other hostels we had looked into, but was very far from the main train station and not the easiest to find. After asking locals for directions several times and not having any luck, we called Kolpinghaus to see if they could give us basic directions. The receptionist, confusingly, told us that he was unable to help us because we had not yet checked in to the hostel (can't check in if we can't get there...)

We again had some trouble dealing with reception to pay for the room, but the place itself is large, clean, and simple. My friends and I had a room with 2 bunk beds, a desk, and our own bathroom. There was no kitchen to cook, but if you make your own (cold) meals anyway there is quite a nice patio on the 4th or 5th floor with views of the mountains and Hohensalzburg Castle.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

1. My experience here had been bad from the moment I arrived. It is not hard to find, but it is far. Finally I reached around 1:30. In the booking site where I'd booked from, they said check in time was between 2pm-10pm. My travel time had been long and I couldnt wait to get to my room. I told the person in the reception that I was checking in and she told me the rooms werent ready and to wait. I waited until 2:30 then I asked another receptionist again and she said it still wasnt ready. I was sitting RIGHT IN FRONT of them. Literally. I asked her to let me know when it was ready so that I could go in. I asked the other girl that too. I waited and waited until it was 3:30 and I was getting frustrated by the minute. Finally I couldnt bear it any longer and asked at the reception again if my room was ready. Apparently both the girls had forgotton about me (there werent many people checking in during that time anyway) and the room had already been ready way back. They murmured a half hearted apology and led me to the room. (later I checked other websites too, and some had 2:00pm check in time and others had 3:00 pm check in time.. this needs to be straightened up).

2. I was VERY disappointed when I saw the room. It was in the basement and was very dingy looking and was apparent that it was not cleaned properly. There were dead insects all over the floor and the table and a few other alive ones were walking on the floor and found one also on the bed. There was no washroom in the room also and I was not told where it was during check-in, nor was I told where the kitchen was or anything else that I had heard them reciting to the other ppl who checked in.

3. I finally found the washroom and that was dirty as well. I found it difficult to put my stuff anywhere because it looked so dirty. Parts of the shower had molds in them and again, the washbasins and its surrounding area hadnt been cleaned properly, if not At all ! When I got back to the room to hang my towel, I encountered moths. Again, getting more and more disappointed.

4. There are only 2 kitchens, on the 1st and 3rd floor for the whole hostel (which is quite big). the kitchens are not big anyways, maybe because no one uses them since there are no dishes to cook with. You need to have all your own dishes if u wish to make anything. Also, the fridges have lockers inside them and you need a key from the reception if you want to keep anything in the fridge.

5. The only advantage that I can think of, of this place is that you can hire bicycles directly from this place, as in Salzburg everyone seemed to ride a bike around town. But again, its only a plus point to people who actually use the facility.

6. The wifi is only available in the lobby, whereas it was advertised as "Wifi available in all areas". That was a big disappointment too.

7. There is no common room/ area where people go to mingle (maybe like a bar). There is a cafeteria which closes by 10 and thats it.

8. When I awoke the next day, there were bites all over my thighs... maybe the bugs on the bed had something to do with those.

9. It is definitely NOT like your usual hostel even though there are dorms here. If you are looking for a fun place to stay with lots of young people and to have fun, I definitely DO NOT RECOMMEND this place to you. It seems this is mostly for older people with families who come with cars and kids and their own dishes to cook with.

Room Tip: I stayed at Meninger in Salzburg before this and it was excellent. definitely recommend that over this.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank med_ktm
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My friend and I stayed here whilst interrailing. We were split up into different rooms (which never happened at any other hostel we stayed in in Europe) and though the reception staff were reasonably friendly, it didn't help when I was in the basement and he was on the fourth floor. Everything was clean and fine and perfectly nice but it felt very clinical and business-like.

Also the woman taking tickets at breakfast was completely rude and disgusting, yelling at us about payment when we had already paid, she just hadn't been there to take the ticket. Not cool.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

My friend and I booked in this place as we were planning a short trip for Salzburg. All we wanted to see was just the 'Sound of Music' really!!

We were on a budget trip and Kolpinghaus was offering something within our budget. It is about 20 minutes walk from the main train station of Salzburg.

The place is quite a bit of a walk from the city center. However, it has a nice walk next to the river to the city center. If you don't feel like it, city center is just a couple of bus stops away to Mirabellplatz. Salzburg is a small city, therefore it is easy to get to anywhere by foot/bike.

You feel like you are back to school again as you enter the building. We stayed for 3 days and we thought the place was fairly good for the price we pay. Everything was fairly good I have to say - from the cleanliness of the bathroom to the quality of bed.

We have a room facing the track field and from our room we could see the Fortress and Alps.

If you are looking for something quiet, this is good enough. However, if you are looking for something more happening to do at night. Perhaps you might want to consider somewhere downtown ^-^

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends