“Outright Blackmail”

Kolpinghaus Salzburg
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Outright Blackmail”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We book 4 beds and asked to be placed in the same 4-bed room. The person who was replying our emails, Franziska [--], was rude, unaccommodating, and had a poor grasp of Englih. She tried to blackmail us into paying more, and failed to comprehend and address our arguments.

We did a search of the other hostel booking websites, and we found that booking.com has 'private' rooms for cheaper than what we payed for the so-called shared rooms on hostelworld. Most unfair. Besides, all the other hostels in the Austria, Germany, and the Czech Republic did not have issues with our request.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank arvedui
kolpinghaus-salzburg, Leiter Front Office at Kolpinghaus Salzburg, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Hongjie Chen,

thanks a lot for your comment.
I had a closer look at the E-Mail conversation you have had with my colleague and to be honest it is difficult for me to understand your point of view. We are definitely not trying to blackmail you - we just gave you the option to book a bed in our dormitory or as an alternative a private quadruple room for all four of you. When you book a bed in a dormitory there is no guarantee for lying together - that is the reason why the price is cheaper than in a private room. In the dormitory category it is possible to deposit the wish lying together and we have answered you that we are doing our best to fulfill your wish – but we just cannot guarantee it. I hope that you understand our point of view and we are looking forward finding a suitable solution for all of us.

With best wishes from Salzburg,
Your Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 22 September 2013

The distance between and the train station is 2 Km and that between the hostel and the old town area is more than 3 Km. The hostel is integated with the educational/ study/ activities/ events camp center for the local citizens, students and kids. It is a huge building complex including soccer field/ sports courts, function rooms, games rooms, roof-top terrence, lounge, cafe and patio.

It has a 3-star hotel management and is furishing well. There are more than 100 dorm rooms. Each room has 2-3 bunk beds. Fully furnishing in the room including large closets, desk, TV, telephone, book rack, bed-side drawers and a piece of carpet . The beds are fresh and nice. The attached bathroom has all the required facilities eventhough a heating unit..

The down side is far from the attractions. It is located in the nortn end of the residential area. Not easy to find a conveniece store. If you don't mind the inconvenience of far from the city center, diffinily this ts the best choice for the budget tourists.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank lui w
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The hostel is 35 min walking from the old city and poor indicated. We booked a 4-bed dorm and when we get there, they had squeezed a fifth bed in the room (the only explanation they gave is that they were overbooked) and we barely had space. Anyway, the rooms are clean and the bathrooms too. They have a luggage storage room with locker so thats pretty nice to leave your stuff before check-in ir after check-out.

• Stayed August 2013
Mirfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with friends in a 4 bed dorm. Impressed with how clean the room was and the shared bathroom (although no-on else seemed to use the bathroom so was practically private!). Room was of a decent size and had 4 individual lockers (free of charge). The hostel was about 20 minutes from the centre of Salzburg but very easy to find by walking straight along the river.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Kolpinghaus Salzburg was a little bit cheaper than other hostels we had looked into, but was very far from the main train station and not the easiest to find. After asking locals for directions several times and not having any luck, we called Kolpinghaus to see if they could give us basic directions. The receptionist, confusingly, told us that he was unable to help us because we had not yet checked in to the hostel (can't check in if we can't get there...)

We again had some trouble dealing with reception to pay for the room, but the place itself is large, clean, and simple. My friends and I had a room with 2 bunk beds, a desk, and our own bathroom. There was no kitchen to cook, but if you make your own (cold) meals anyway there is quite a nice patio on the 4th or 5th floor with views of the mountains and Hohensalzburg Castle.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

1. My experience here had been bad from the moment I arrived. It is not hard to find, but it is far. Finally I reached around 1:30. In the booking site where I'd booked from, they said check in time was between 2pm-10pm. My travel time had been long and I couldnt wait to get to my room. I told the person in the reception that I was checking in and she told me the rooms werent ready and to wait. I waited until 2:30 then I asked another receptionist again and she said it still wasnt ready. I was sitting RIGHT IN FRONT of them. Literally. I asked her to let me know when it was ready so that I could go in. I asked the other girl that too. I waited and waited until it was 3:30 and I was getting frustrated by the minute. Finally I couldnt bear it any longer and asked at the reception again if my room was ready. Apparently both the girls had forgotton about me (there werent many people checking in during that time anyway) and the room had already been ready way back. They murmured a half hearted apology and led me to the room. (later I checked other websites too, and some had 2:00pm check in time and others had 3:00 pm check in time.. this needs to be straightened up).

2. I was VERY disappointed when I saw the room. It was in the basement and was very dingy looking and was apparent that it was not cleaned properly. There were dead insects all over the floor and the table and a few other alive ones were walking on the floor and found one also on the bed. There was no washroom in the room also and I was not told where it was during check-in, nor was I told where the kitchen was or anything else that I had heard them reciting to the other ppl who checked in.

3. I finally found the washroom and that was dirty as well. I found it difficult to put my stuff anywhere because it looked so dirty. Parts of the shower had molds in them and again, the washbasins and its surrounding area hadnt been cleaned properly, if not At all ! When I got back to the room to hang my towel, I encountered moths. Again, getting more and more disappointed.

4. There are only 2 kitchens, on the 1st and 3rd floor for the whole hostel (which is quite big). the kitchens are not big anyways, maybe because no one uses them since there are no dishes to cook with. You need to have all your own dishes if u wish to make anything. Also, the fridges have lockers inside them and you need a key from the reception if you want to keep anything in the fridge.

5. The only advantage that I can think of, of this place is that you can hire bicycles directly from this place, as in Salzburg everyone seemed to ride a bike around town. But again, its only a plus point to people who actually use the facility.

6. The wifi is only available in the lobby, whereas it was advertised as "Wifi available in all areas". That was a big disappointment too.

7. There is no common room/ area where people go to mingle (maybe like a bar). There is a cafeteria which closes by 10 and thats it.

8. When I awoke the next day, there were bites all over my thighs... maybe the bugs on the bed had something to do with those.

9. It is definitely NOT like your usual hostel even though there are dorms here. If you are looking for a fun place to stay with lots of young people and to have fun, I definitely DO NOT RECOMMEND this place to you. It seems this is mostly for older people with families who come with cars and kids and their own dishes to cook with.

Room Tip: I stayed at Meninger in Salzburg before this and it was excellent. definitely recommend that over t...