“Great tour!”

and up
Full Day Private Original Sound of Music Tour
Ranked #5 of 49 Tours in Salzburg
More attraction details
Owner description: A bus tour of several of the sites seen in the classic film The Sound of Music.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We took this tour our first day in Salzburg and we loved it! The Sound of Music was my favorite movie as a child so seeing some of the key spots in the movie was a big thrill for me. Naomi was our tour guide and she was fantastic! She kept us smiling and laughing and singing along to the soundtrack on the bus.

I was disappointed that the abbey and the auditorium where the family sang were not included in the stops. However, we did stop at a lake that was absolutely beautiful. There was fantastic scenery all around. And at the end of the tour, Naomi walked us over to Mirabell Gardens, where much of the Do-re-mi scene was filmed.

If you love the movie then the tour is definitely a must-do.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,321)
All reviews
in 47 reviews
"great guide"
in 39 reviews

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I took the sound of music tour last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm young but i grew up watching the movie Nd hearing and seeing where and how it was made was so cool. Our guide was enthusiastic and knew his stuff. I wish I knew his name to give him the credit he deserves but I can't remember. He was organized and timely. We saw all the good stuff. He had everyone singing. The town outside the city centre was arguably one of the cutest towns in Austria. The views from the mountains were to die for and we soaked up every second he gave us. It was nice to venture outside of the city centre. The tour was only a hAlf day tour but it's all you really needed. We saw what we needed and he gave plenty of time to take pictures. The Apple strudel in the town was delicious. Over all it was a really good tour. It cost 40 Euro which is a little pricey to me but I didn't mind spending the money once I left the tour.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Panorama Tour Company offers many tours in and around Salzburg. One of the most popular tours is the 4 hour Sound of Music Tour. Although this tour is really meant for SOM fans, the bus winds around the outskirts of Salzburg giving you a glimpse of the beautiful castles and other sights used during the filming of the movie. Then you set out for the Lakes area, driving through quaint mountain villages, past beautiful, turquoise lakes and finally stopping in Mondsee to the see the famous church where the wedding took place, a bit of shopping, and apple strudel. The guide, Peter, who has to have a certain stage presence to pull this off is entertaining, knows stories and the background about the Sound of Music, and of course must be able to lead sing-alongs to all the favorites from the movie. Don't let this be the only thing you do in Salzburg, but if you want something on the tourist circuit that is fun and a bit campy, this is the way to spend 4 hours. Sit back and enjoy the ride!

1  Thank Mayatravels
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We had a really good tour guide who was very knowledgeable. It wasn't too cheesy. Overall something I recommend to people who love the movie or just want to see the beautiful lake district of Salzburg.

1  Thank Cc B
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 July 2014

DH and I decided to take this tour after reading Rick Steves say how cute it was and how he enjoyed it. We're normally independent travelers and usually hate bus tours. We thought Rick was right! We enjoyed the tour (for a bus tour) and loved seeing the scenery and different stops. Our guide was funny and informative. Especially when he gave us a version of "Do Re Me" having to do with beer. I bought tickets on-line before we left the U.S. No problems in simply showing it for our reserved tour time. We opted for the morning tour and were glad we did as the afternoon really warmed up. So for any SOM fan, I think it's cute and no complaints from us.

1  Thank Cheesi