“Had fun despite some issues”

Panorama Tours Original Sound of Music Tour
Book In Advance
More Info
US$480.77*
and up
Private Custom Day Tour from Vienna: The Original Sound of Music Tour in...
More Info
US$1,189.92*
and up
Full Day Private Original Sound of Music Tour
Ranked #2 of 44 Tours in Salzburg
More attraction details
Owner description: A bus tour of several of the sites seen in the classic film The Sound of Music.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 19 July 2014

What we liked: fun for the kids, good tour around Salzburg (the Lake District mostly), seemed well-organized, 40th anniversary movie was good, learned interesting facts about the movie and the filming of it. What was less than ideal: our guide, although knowledgeable, was a bit jaded; she acted like a bit of a bully at times, insulting the passengers (as a group) for being "boring" and making us do things (like saying please or singing) in order to get off the bus. A tremendously big turn off! I am not sure anyone feels the need to please the tour guide in the way she expected, but she certainly gave me a headache after 5 minutes of listening to her harangue. It's too bad because we actually had a nice group of passengers as far as I could tell, and the tour would have been more fun without the guide's rough around the edges personality thrown in.

2  Thank Val L
Write a ReviewReviews (2,190)

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Although I really enjoyed this tour the film isn't what it seems. Our guide gave us a real insight to how the film was actually put together .. the two houses, the gazebo and the Abbey, Its a bit disappointing that you cant actually go right near the houses.. the only thing you can go near is the Gazebo which is actually not close to the houses at all. I would like to have spent more time in the Mirabell Gardens but sadly didnt have enough time.The tour takes you out into the lake district too which is lovely if you havent been there already.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

If you are a fan of the musical this tour is a must! You will walk through areas you will most likely have missed if you are attempting a self guided tour. You will see back street areas that are unique and beautiful. I can't emphasize enough the importance of a guided tour for this, as the guides will most definitely give you information you will not get on your own. We were a large group and all the feedback about this tour was positive and enthusiastic.

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We took this tour our first day in Salzburg and we loved it! The Sound of Music was my favorite movie as a child so seeing some of the key spots in the movie was a big thrill for me. Naomi was our tour guide and she was fantastic! She kept us smiling and laughing and singing along to the soundtrack on the bus.

I was disappointed that the abbey and the auditorium where the family sang were not included in the stops. However, we did stop at a lake that was absolutely beautiful. There was fantastic scenery all around. And at the end of the tour, Naomi walked us over to Mirabell Gardens, where much of the Do-re-mi scene was filmed.

If you love the movie then the tour is definitely a must-do.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I took the sound of music tour last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm young but i grew up watching the movie Nd hearing and seeing where and how it was made was so cool. Our guide was enthusiastic and knew his stuff. I wish I knew his name to give him the credit he deserves but I can't remember. He was organized and timely. We saw all the good stuff. He had everyone singing. The town outside the city centre was arguably one of the cutest towns in Austria. The views from the mountains were to die for and we soaked up every second he gave us. It was nice to venture outside of the city centre. The tour was only a hAlf day tour but it's all you really needed. We saw what we needed and he gave plenty of time to take pictures. The Apple strudel in the town was delicious. Over all it was a really good tour. It cost 40 Euro which is a little pricey to me but I didn't mind spending the money once I left the tour.