“Sound of Music Fans Shouldn't Miss This!”

Panorama Tours Original Sound of Music Tour
Book In Advance
More Info
US$497.44*
and up
Private Custom Day Tour from Vienna: The Original Sound of Music Tour in...
More Info
US$1,231.17*
and up
Full Day Private Original Sound of Music Tour
Ranked #2 of 45 Tours in Salzburg
More attraction details
Owner description: A bus tour of several of the sites seen in the classic film The Sound of Music.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My family visited Salzburg and I was very excited to do this tour as I have been a lifelong fan of the film. My family had only seen it once or twice and my husband had never seen it. We all watched the movie before the tour. My entire family loved it. The tour is fun, informative, and you get to see so many sights in and around the city. My family loved when the bus took us out to the surrounding countryside. The tour guide was full of anecdotes and facts which she shared with the group at appropriate times. She had the tour down to a science and was engaging for all the guests. The tour brought the city to life for us! I would recommend this to anyone who liked the film and was interested in seeing many of the sights in the area.

1  Thank mcberra
Write a ReviewReviews (2,241)

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This tour was fantastic!! The man who picked us up from our hotel was a riot! We were laughing before the tour even started! Our actual tour guide was also funny and smart. I learned so much about the real story of the Von Trapps and fell in love with the story all over again. The best part? The soundtrack was playing all through the tour and we were invited to sing along. We had so much fun!

2  Thank Xelashay
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This tour met our expectations with lots of SoM enthusiasm from Jenny our Guide with trivia, plenty of photo opportunities and oodles of passenger participation in the singing of numbers from the movie. Please don't waste your money if you just want a bus trip into the mountains, and the opportunity to sit and read your iPhone or iPad as some of my fellow passengers clearly wanted to do, there's much cheaper ways of doing this. Do though take this tour if like us you love the movie, the story and the songs - great fun. When you stop for lunch do try the Apple Strudel at one if the many cafés - one of Maria's 'Favourite things' !

1  Thank buckpoolloon
Reviewed 21 July 2014

With the Sound of Music being my most favouite film this was a must for me, I hadn't read up and studied the tour I only knew we would get to visit the places the main scenes took place.

Greeted by our tour guide Peter we soon realised he was going to make this tour the fun and informative adventure it was (You must ask to be on Peter's coach, he is hilarious and wasted as a tour guide).

Leaving Salzburg you get to hear about the real making of the film and how Hollywood wanted to portray the real Von Trapp family, on leaving Salzburg a couple of scenes are pointed out to you like the Mozart bridge and the Abbey but you don't get to stop. Then you drive out and see the Leopoldskron Palace (the scene used when Maria & children are on the boat and it tips over). It's a real shame you don't get to see this up close.

Then we headed off to see the Gabezo but it was literally only a 5min stop, On leaving here we went past the building that was used for the front entrance of the house and the tree lined drive where the children were swinging in the trees, but again we couldn't stop.

Next stop was out to the Lakes, even though this had no relevance to the Sound of Music it was nice to see and offered some spectacular views and good photo opportunities. Then we headed to Mondsee to visit the church that Captain Von Trapp and Maria got married in and stopped for lunch. Then headed back,

I did thoroughly enjoy my morning but I really wish the tour could of been combined with seeing some other places, possibly partly a walking tour to the Mirabell Gardens, to the bridge and up to the entrance of the Abbey. However it was fun and as I say Peter made it for us.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

What we liked: fun for the kids, good tour around Salzburg (the Lake District mostly), seemed well-organized, 40th anniversary movie was good, learned interesting facts about the movie and the filming of it. What was less than ideal: our guide, although knowledgeable, was a bit jaded; she acted like a bit of a bully at times, insulting the passengers (as a group) for being "boring" and making us do things (like saying please or singing) in order to get off the bus. A tremendously big turn off! I am not sure anyone feels the need to please the tour guide in the way she expected, but she certainly gave me a headache after 5 minutes of listening to her harangue. It's too bad because we actually had a nice group of passengers as far as I could tell, and the tour would have been more fun without the guide's rough around the edges personality thrown in.

2  Thank Val L