“What a disappointment!!”

and up
The Original Sound of Music Tour in Salzburg
Ranked #2 of 36 Tours in Salzburg
More attraction details
Owner description: A bus tour of several of the sites seen in the classic film The Sound of Music.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
dorset
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“What a disappointment!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Sound of Music Tour was the reason we decided on Salzburg as a holiday location - everything else about the city and it's surroundings was utterly fantastic but the tour was a huge disappointment. The proper, decorated and modern bus was full so two coach loads of us were put in old green coaches and on our first coach on a boiling hot day, the air-conditioning didn't work. Luckily for us, we accidentally get on the wrong bus after the first stop so at least we cooled down. The main problems with the tour were as follows: The guide, though quite knowledgable, spoke in stilted English and lacked enthusiasm, eg at one point saying he would play some music and we could sing along if we wanted to - so hardly anyone did - what was needed was someone who would get up and start singing! We were also rushed from location to location and left mostly to our own devices at each stop. Many locations were just driven past with no opportunity to stop and enjoy them. We had been so excited about the tour but the lack of atmosphere and chaotic organisation at the bus-stop at the start of the tour, left us feeling really disappointed - we couldn't wait to get back to beautiful Salzburg where we explored the lovely Mirabell Gardens, site of many scenes, ourselves. I think this is the first time I've ever given a bad review and I don't like doing it, but it is deserved! My recommendation is to do a rickshaw "Round of Music" tour instead, which we did the following day and which was brilliant!! That's it - so long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, good-bye!

7 Thank suewebb61
Curlysue123, Manager at Panorama Tours Original Sound of Music Tour, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Sue,

Thank you very much for your honest feedback and time you spent to bring your experience to our attention!

We are really sorry to hear that our tour did not meet your expectations and that you left our coach disappointed. Most of the Sound of Music sites are not open to the public and therfore can't be visited from our clients. We understand that you would like to spend more time at each location, but we do have a very limited time to take you outside of the City of Salzburg (and beyond the story of Sound of Music to tell you about the movie sets.)

I'm personally sorry to hear that your tour guide did not sing along or create the special Sound of Music athomsphere you dreamed of. We take costumer views very seriosly and your review helps us to improve our tours and services. If you may could remember the name of your tour guide I could discuss your impression personally with him.

Once again, thank you for your time and critical review! We would be happy if we could get another chance to welcome you on board of any of our tours one day !

Best regards from Salzburg,

• Turkish first
Stuttgart, Germany
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Sound of Music Fans Shouldn't Miss This!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

My family visited Salzburg and I was very excited to do this tour as I have been a lifelong fan of the film. My family had only seen it once or twice and my husband had never seen it. We all watched the movie before the tour. My entire family loved it. The tour is fun, informative, and you get to see so many sights in and around the city. My family loved when the bus took us out to the surrounding countryside. The tour guide was full of anecdotes and facts which she shared with the group at appropriate times. She had the tour down to a science and was engaging for all the guests. The tour brought the city to life for us! I would recommend this to anyone who liked the film and was interested in seeing many of the sights in the area.

1 Thank mcberra
Salt Lake City, Utah
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Sing Along Tour!! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This tour was fantastic!! The man who picked us up from our hotel was a riot! We were laughing before the tour even started! Our actual tour guide was also funny and smart. I learned so much about the real story of the Von Trapps and fell in love with the story all over again. The best part? The soundtrack was playing all through the tour and we were invited to sing along. We had so much fun!

2 Thank Xelashay
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Jenny's obvious enthusiasm for the film made this trip for us”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

This tour met our expectations with lots of SoM enthusiasm from Jenny our Guide with trivia, plenty of photo opportunities and oodles of passenger participation in the singing of numbers from the movie. Please don't waste your money if you just want a bus trip into the mountains, and the opportunity to sit and read your iPhone or iPad as some of my fellow passengers clearly wanted to do, there's much cheaper ways of doing this. Do though take this tour if like us you love the movie, the story and the songs - great fun. When you stop for lunch do try the Apple Strudel at one if the many cafés - one of Maria's 'Favourite things' !

1 Thank buckpoolloon
Bournemouth
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“A must for a 'Sound of Music' fan”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

With the Sound of Music being my most favouite film this was a must for me, I hadn't read up and studied the tour I only knew we would get to visit the places the main scenes took place.

Greeted by our tour guide Peter we soon realised he was going to make this tour the fun and informative adventure it was (You must ask to be on Peter's coach, he is hilarious and wasted as a tour guide).

Leaving Salzburg you get to hear about the real making of the film and how Hollywood wanted to portray the real Von Trapp family, on leaving Salzburg a couple of scenes are pointed out to you like the Mozart bridge and the Abbey but you don't get to stop. Then you drive out and see the Leopoldskron Palace (the scene used when Maria & children are on the boat and it tips over). It's a real shame you don't get to see this up close.

Then we headed off to see the Gabezo but it was literally only a 5min stop, On leaving here we went past the building that was used for the front entrance of the house and the tree lined drive where the children were swinging in the trees, but again we couldn't stop.

Next stop was out to the Lakes, even though this had no relevance to the Sound of Music it was nice to see and offered some spectacular views and good photo opportunities. Then we headed to Mondsee to visit the church that Captain Von Trapp and Maria got married in and stopped for lunch. Then headed back,

I did thoroughly enjoy my morning but I really wish the tour could of been combined with seeing some other places, possibly partly a walking tour to the Mirabell Gardens, to the bridge and up to the entrance of the Abbey. However it was fun and as I say Peter made it for us.