“Good location, good facility” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Grauer Bar
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Innsbruck
Calgary, Canada
“Good location, good facility”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our family of four (two adults and two older teenage sons) stayed two nights in the four person family room. A king bed and two twin beds (one was a rollaway cot) was sufficient in the very large room which came complete with flat screen tv and table and chairs for four. No view (our corner suite faced the walls of two buildings and we could barely see the sky) but we were out doors sightseeing for two days so did not worry about it much. The king bed was hard as a rock (typically European though) but the rollaway cot was surprisingly comfy according to my son. Breakfast buffet had lots of choices including made to order eggs but was quite busy (10 minute line up to get coffee!) due to all the tour bus groups that use this large hotel. The hotel location is ideal for walking to the old part of town and to the funicular that takes you to the Alpenzoo. The lounge/bar on the main level was very nice for a drink after we checked in and the bartender very helpful with advice on dining options. My sons visited the pool and whirlpool and though they said the facility looked niced, both pools were packed with unattended small children running amok while parents were nowhere to be seen. The fitness room could use some upgrades. Overall a good hotel with relatively modern facilities. Would rate it 3.5 stars out of 5 (not 4) if Tripadvisor had the option.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Scranton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at this hotel for 6 nights as part of a group tour. I am pleased to write this review from the perspective of a U.S. citizen traveler with only limited fluency in German and a moderate level of familiarity (prior to our trip) of Austrian/European culture.

Overall, my rating of this hotel is VERY GOOD. Here's a few reasons why....

The front desk was consistently friendly and fluent in both German and English, which made communicating easy. My girlfriend and I were traveling with a larger group, which included my mother and her gentleman friend. When we checked in, the hotel thought they were doing us a "favor" by putting the 4 of us in adjoining rooms. For a variety of reasons (wink-wink), my girlfriend and I preferred to not "sleep" in the room next to my mom on our vacation. Upon noticing that we were in adjoining rooms, I returned to the front desk and suggested that I'd like a different room to the manager. She politely inquired why, and I explained the situation to her. With a bit if a giggle and a kind smirk, she punched away at the keyboard, passed me a key, and said "Don't mention anything to the group". Alas, we had been upgraded to a SUITE on the top floor! Our vacation was off to a great start...

Throughout our stay, the front desk staff remained very cordial and helpful. The custodial staff kept our room in good, clean condition, and the breakfast buffet was tasty - with a mix of American and European foods. The hotel bar was nice, and the bartender was friendly. She even let us sit in a corner booth and drink our own bottle of wine we purchased from a wine store in Italy on one of our excursions.

The A/C in our room worked well (although a bit louder than most hotel rooms we've been in), the equipment in the fitness room was in good shape, and the pool area was stocked with extra towels nearby.

The location is convenient to Old Town, the University and several restaurants, and the community seems very safe and secure.

Here are some TIPS and things you should know before arriving...

We drink a LOT of water. While the tap water is OK, we found that there is a 5-gallon water cooler in the fitness room. Our advice - buy 1 or 2 bottles of water in a local market (many were around) and then re-fill your bottle using the fitness room. It's free!!

If using the sauna, steam room or pool, be aware that you ARE in Europe! The sauna and steam room ARE nude areas, as are the showers near the pool. If you (or your kids) are NOT comfortable with nudity, I would suggest you avoid the pool, sauna and steam room areas, which are very close to the fitness room. Don't get me wrong - those enjoying the sauna and steam were very nice and discrete about it, but it's nude men and women, together in the same small space, nonetheless.

Be aware that if you get a room with a floor-to-ceiling window that opens "in" like a French door, Austria does not have zoning/safety requirements like the U.S., so there may not be a railing to prevent you or your kids from falling out the window/door. This is the case in nearly ALL hotels we saw during our stay (3 different hotels), so it's not unique to this hotel. Just be careful.

Dinner at the "nice" restaurant requires a reservation, and they fill up fast. If you're dining there, book early.

You will need to keep a key to your hotel room (swipe-style key) in a holder inside your room in order for your A/C and lights to work. This is their way of making sure that lights and A/C are off when nobody is in the room (they assume you'd take your key with you when you leave, thus shutting off the utilities in the room). Thus, as you as you check in, ask for 1 more key than you'll actually need. Leave it in the holder all the time.

Only thing preventing us from giving this an Excellent is the slight loudness of the A/C unit (OK once we got used to it) and fact that one of our dinners (arranged by the travel tour group) was not that good.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 5th floor are closest to fitness room and were very quiet at night. Everyone tends to u...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank EJFromPA
Overland Park, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We had plane issues and could not get to this hotel so we canceled it well within 24 hours. We come to find they will only accept 48 hour cancellations. They kept our money and probably sold the rooms. They could not prove otherwise. Again under no circumstances should you pay in advance. Please be aware don't book this hotel with a credit card, or worse pay in advance through a travel agency. You are going to throw your money away if you have any issues what so ever. Too bad the customer service is so very poor!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Dan G
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here for one night. Was given a room which is one level of stairs over the first floor. So be ready to lug your heavy luggage over these stairs. Food is nice. There is one Indian chef who whips up some delicious curries. The restaurant is bright open and spacious. The rooms facing the streets can be a problem as thundering vehicles can shake the beds a bit. The AC in summers is suspect in several rooms. Many were heard complaining at the reception and the lobby. But it's a lovely town. Makes u forget the troubles that one encounters in the hotel.

Room Tip: Wifi is pathetically slow. Reminds one of dark ages of cyberia.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

This hotel was a stop on out Sound of Music tour. Room was huge. Nice view of the Alps from the room. Good breakfast, very near the Golden Roof a landmark of Innsbruck. Train station about 10-15 minutes walking.

adelaide
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

We stay here with trafalgar group,
The service was poor, staffs weren't helpful at all. Poor English speaking.

Beds were uncomfortable and when we complained about the beds, they said there wasn't much they could do. I was furious!

At breakfast, we were there at 7:30am, this is still considered early, I asked if I could have a croissant as I saw some people were having them. One of the female staff didn't even bother to look at me and replied "there's no more". She didn't even bother to check, 5-10mins later, a basket of fresh croissant came out. This made me so upset that I curst the girl. She could have checked and see if there were any left but she didn't. I really dislike the staffs here.

I give them 1 star for free wifi. Apart from that, we didn't have a pleasant stay! I will never recommend this hotel to anyone, I will report this to my travel agent.

Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Alivia T
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

My family of 4 (2 adults + 2 teenagers) stayed at Hotel Grauer Bar for 1 night. We really enjoyed our stay.

Likes:
- excellent quad room available with 4 single beds, large closet/storage, walk out balcony with great view of the mountains
- great location...short walk to old town, bus stops that get you everywhere, Congress Centre where you can catch the Nordkettenbahnen up to the mountain
- excellent service - the ladies at the front desk were awesome...very friendly and helpful
- beautiful newly renovated common areas...lobby, breakfast restaurant, pool and deck
- excellent breakfast included with our room price...lots of variety of cold and hot items

Not-so-likes:
- Room is a little outdated compared to the lobby and other common areas.
- Shampoo is available in the bathroom in sample foil packages...very cheesy and cheap looking.

Location