“Back to The Penz”
Review of The Penz Hotel

The Penz Hotel
Ranked #4 of 73 Hotels in Innsbruck
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Back to The Penz for one night after many years and still thinking that this the place to be when in Innsbruck.
Great location right in the middle of the city center, nice staff, modern decor, amazing cocktails at the 5th Floor bar and last but not least I got a very good rate that made my stay even more enjoyable.
Only thing I didn't like was the bathroom, I'd have preferred a walk in shower instead of the tub.
Breakfast is one of the bests I ever had, HUGE selection of fruits from around the world, pastries, meats and cheeses, just the perfect start of the day before visiting the Christmas markets around the streets.
Will return on my next trip to Innsbruck!

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank interpol81

Reviewed 2 December 2013

This hotel is very well located in the centre of town but appears to concentrate on the business market rather than tourists. Front desk staff were very pleasant and helpful and the room was clean and functional. The in-room safe was the best we've seen being simply operated by the room key. However the beds were hard and not very comfortable. We were disappointed with breakfast. Although we arrived early, the window seats were either all taken or reserved for people who had not arrived by the time we left. The breakfast staff seemed to be more interested in talking to each other than providing assistance

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Eric_and_Dora
Reviewed 2 December 2013

The hype about the breakfast is entirely justified. I too have to admit it was probably the best hotel breakfast I have ever had. And I have stayed in many hotels, had many an excellent breakfast.
I do not give my review 5 stars because of the following:
We arrived at 14:30 and the room was still not ready.. and was not going to be ready for another full hour.
There is a glass window at ceiling level sleeping area of the room. So if you need to use the restroom during the night, you better not turn on the bathroom lights on or 3 spot lights will shine right on the face of the person who is sleeping. Not sure if all rooms are like that, obviously.
At breakfast the service was very good but that came clearly at great cost to the employees. They seemed nervous and stressed. And what is worst, at one point the manager went off on host guy really loudly right at the entrance of the room, in front of all the guests, yelling at him for making someone wait for something. I thought that was unprofessional and you just should not treat people like this.
But of course, it gets high marks for comfort and location, in addition to the breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brazitalomericana
Reviewed 19 November 2013

It is nice and beautiful hotel, luxurious,hospitality and delicious breakfast.it's modern hotel and the room it's good the hotel is verey clean and it's new and there is ashopping center attached to the hotel and you can walk to old town and the hostoric places (( intresting area))

Room Tip: duble room very good
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Abdulla-Khalfan
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Located in excellent position, central but nearby a square, this is a stylish, slick and relaxed hotel.
I am particularly enticed by the excellent quality breakfast.
Cleanliness impeccable and design features uplifting.
A scenic lift brings you up to the last floor.
Not cheap but recommended

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed at The Penz Hotel for just one night but it was a wonderful stay. The building is very modern but has so much character. The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was one of the best buffets we've had! The room was large and comfortable with a great bed and a deep bath to soak in after a day of walking around the city. The location is ideal with everything you need within walking distance. We have a lovely time here and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SuitcaseStories
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Perhaps there is some truth that I inclined toward fault-finding, but this characterization does not apply, not at all, regarding my recent stay at The Penz Hotel! I stayed in Innsbruck for 3 days before taking the train to an 8-day intensive teacher-training for a class I teach back home. I just loved Innsbruck and staying at the Penz only helped to enhance these very enjoyable 3 days.

The hotel's location is just perfect; a few blocks away from the most touristy parts of Innsbruck and yet just a 3 minute walk to the old town. The hotel felt both a slight bit removed and yet extremely close. The modern design, with mirror glass exterior, did well with the modern reflecting antiquity. While we are all different, this architectural statement worked for me! The room was exceptionally clean and comfortable. The size was more than adequate, the bed was comfortable and cozy, the Wifi was fast and from my 4th floor room I totally appreciated the serenely inspiring panorama of rooftops and mountains.

Breakfast was significantly well above average and a nice way to begin the day. The views from the 5th floor breakfast area were also just fabulous; soothing and tranquil sunrises above the mosaic of rooftops and mountain peaks, inviting and encouraging me to get going in my exploration of Innsbruck and surroundings. With my belly full from a overwhelmingly vast array of fresh fruits, freshly squeezed orange juice and other delightful options to many to mention, fully caffeinated from delicious coffee, I was ready to go!

I greatly valued and appreciated my pre-arrival email contacts with the hotel. They were responsive, helpful and promised me a 4th floor room with a view! It was not the typical "we will do our best to accommodate your preferences but depends on availability" kind of non-committal (and nonsense) response. Perhaps this is an advantage of a "boutique" hotel. Most, but not 100%, of the staff, was extremely accommodating and knowledgeable re: Innsbruck and surrounding areas. I do feel as if the training of the front desk personnel could be enhanced a bit so that there is more consistency in their professionalism and knowledge. Overall, my very positive interactions with the front desk far out-weighed any disappointing interactions.

For example, after hearing that I found Innsbruck's "old town" a bit too touristy and over-crowded, a gentleman working the front desk encouraged me to explore Hall in Triol. He was spot-on with this recommendation!!! I am quite grateful to have taken the 20+ minute bus adventure to this small village/town that had such a charming old town... authentic, not so commercial nor crowded and with the sun out, just a totally enjoyable adventure! I got some great pictures!!

The same man also recommended the Hotel Central (from 1884) for my Wiener Schnitzel experience and he was, once again, on-target. A 100% satisfying and very low-keyed/relaxing culinary experience (and 100% unhealthy too!!) Speaking of unhealthy but deeeelicious, the humongous portion of whipped cream serve with my Apple Strudel, set a new life-time standard for whipped-cream!! YUMMY YUMMY!

If you are still reading this review then by now you can see how staying at The Penz Hotel only enhanced my complete enjoyment of Innsbruck. THANKS Penz!! Obviously, from my own perspective, I would highly recommend this hotel and if I am ever fortunate to return to Innsbruck then I would want to also return to The Penz.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo