“jeffmas”
Review of Hohe Munde

Hohe Munde
Ranked #70 of 74 Hotels in Innsbruck
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Me my brother and our wives stayed at this hotel over new year with Treyn Holidays, I have to say this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.
1 To reach the lift you had to go up a flite of stairs and along a corridor which had sensors controlling the lighting so you are in the dark before the lights kick in.
2The food was terrible, ok Breakfast was continental, but you had to pay for boiled eggs which were charge at 1 euro each, evening meal started with a small dish of clear soup with different things added the main course was inadequate and of poor quality, (example) we had spaghetti one night but half the spaghetti was not cooked and was still crunchy.
3 Because we were travelling by train we sent our cases on ahead so we would not have to keep lugging them on and of trains, they arrived ok but we have now been informed by the carrier that the hotel don't know where our cases are so I don't now if we will get them back I think the owners name must be Basil Faulty,
Just avoid like the plague.

Room Tip: Ask For rooms on third floor they are quite large else where they are small.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank jeffmas
There are newer reviews for Hohe Munde

Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for one night about three years ago and decided to return as we were in the same area. The room was spacious and clean with very comfortable beds but what let it down was the shower. It was small and took a very long time to get hot water, sometimes not at all.
What made up for this was the food in the a la carte restaurant which was superb as was the service. I must say that, having read the reviews on Tripadvisor, we were a little concerned about returning to this hotel but we can only say that we found it to be every bit as good as the first time and would certainly return. Some of the carpets could do with replacing.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank Julie B
Reviewed 11 January 2013

My wife and I spent Christmas in the Hotel Munde, Telfs, Austria. We travelled by rail from the UK on the trip arranged by Teyn Holidays of York. The holiday could not be described as 'cheap' and for what we paid we really expected something special. Quite apart from the incovenient train connection times, the hotel itself proved to be a huge disappointment. The food was OK and the rooms were clean and comfortable, but the only public room as such was the bar which proved very popular with many local people, the vast majority of whom were smokers. The stench of cigarette smoke was everywhere. Back home I contacted Treyn Holidays with my feelings about the holiday and was told by 'Paul' that the company had no intention of warning future customers of this situation. I was, however, offered a very small discount on a future trip I might care to book with Treyn Holidays

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bill R
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We stayed for Christmas with a party from Treyn.
Telfs is a lovely town with a small high street and a medium size shopping outlet.
Our room was a large room and very clean with good furniture.
The staff were very pleasant and attentive but there was only one waitress at breakfast who kept the food well stocked but could not clear tables.
The main meals were good but lacked imagination, a limited salad bar, main meal meat, rice or potato and one veg. I am sure with a little more effort and imagination the meals could be excellent.
If you visit Telfs be sure to go to Cafe Chocolat, five minutes walk form the hotel. Markus Randolf and his staff produce the most fantastic cakes and coffee, a really great cafe to visit.

Room Tip: some rooms are very small, see if a large one is available.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Derek W
Reviewed 18 April 2012

First thing. This hotel is not in Innsbruck, it is in Telfs. We stayed here at very short notice and had one of the rooms that has not been refurbished yet. The newer rooms look much nicer, ours was not bad, just a bit dated. My parents stayed in this hotel in the 1950's and would probably have recognised some of the furnishings. The hotel has been family run for 185 years and they do know a bit about how to look after people, the staff were nice and friendly.
The building has been added to over the years and it is a bit of a maze, especially the route from the underground car park to reception. The breakfast is standard type fair for the continent with eggs being the only hot food, but it is all presented very well.
Telfs is a great spot and there is much to do. better than that, this is at a crossroads in Europe. Three minutes from the autobahn and only a couple more to the railway station, this is great for those travelling. Only a few minutes away is the Fern Pass to Germany and the Brenner Pass to Italy.
Be aware that smoking is allowed in the bar, a negative for some and a positive for others.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RegT63
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Stayed here as part of organised tour. The room was lovely, spacious, warm, clean. Bathroom spotless. Hans the waiter is brilliant! Unfortunately the food was very limited in choice, and nearly always cold. Get a new chef and this hotel would be fab! Be sure to see the lovely church just behind the hotel if you stay here.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LOVETRAVEL60_12
Reviewed 24 January 2012

We were staying in Ischgl, and due to heavy snow meant we had to leave the resort early to be closer to the airport. As such the rep needed to relocate a coah load of people to new hotels. The fact that on a Friday night, in peak season, this hotel (which only has about 40 rooms) was able to put up 40+ people says it all. In our party were 4 people, two couples. in their 30's/40's.

Hotel Layout:
There was no lift to get from the lobby to the 1st floor (noot fun with ski gear), and lights that were on sensors that mean we were wallking along the corridors with our hands on the walls.

Room:
Double bed with shower room. The room offered about 2 ft around the double bed, thats how small it was. The room was dirty, dated, had a 14 inch tv on the wall that mainly broadcast static and a radiator that you couldnt turn off, meaning you had to sleep with the window onto the shared balcony open (which meant no sleep as it was so noisy outside). The shower room was straight from the 70's and other that a quick wah I just couldnt use it.

Food:
It had a menu, and somewhat understandably due to an influx of numbers this was replaced with a set menu with no choices. This was soup (which I can best describe as crouton soup as it was an inch of tepid water with a centimetre of croutons in it), followed by pork that was so dry it was hard to cut and inedible accompanied by boiled potatoes that had been cooked so long they had gone mushy and some stone cold veg. Dessert (described as ice cream with fruit and cream) was a cut off piece of ice cream (from a type of slab) with dot of spray cream and jam (bizarre!)

Service:
After the meal we asked the waitress to put the drinks on the room, she said ok and walked off. After 10 minutes our partners left us and we went downstairs to the bar. After 30 minutes a very large guy and a couple of waiters came straight over to use shouting that we had not paid the bill and they were calling the police! We asked what bill and they said that you cannot leave the table until you settle any bar bill there and then! The police turn up and all is explained to them and the police ask us what we want to do. We say that we dont have cash on us and we expect to pay on check out as in any other hotel. We call our rep on the phone and the manager hangs up on her shouting. At this point the police say we cannot even leave their presence until we have settled the bill, and all I can do I say they hold my passport (which luckily I always have in my pocket) while I go to the room and get some money. By the time I get back downstairs, the rep is so embarrassed that she has called back again and personally picked up the bill. It turns out the connected bar on the bottom of the hotel is owned by different people! So they thought we had left the hotel (despite our partners being up in the rooms!)

The hotel itself was one of the worst I have ever stayed in (in terms of food, room, etc) and I am a company director that travells dozens of times a year - so this shows how bad it is for me to say this.

In terms of service (or lack of), we were extremely frightened by this experience, the hotel manager was threatening, none of this was explained to us when we checked in and we were honestly thinking we were being treated like criminals.

Oh and I agree with markformosa, the first two reviews are impossible - obviously owners/firends/staff.

Room Tip: Honestly, dont bother.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends