“Nice hotel with good value - but isolated location”
Review of Hotel Roemerhof

Hotel Roemerhof
Ranked #30 of 72 Hotels in Innsbruck
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I enjoyed this hotel, and it met my expectations. Staff was extremely friendly, though weren't able to offer much in the way of dinner restaurant recommendations. This was in spite of the fact that there isn't a single place to eat within walking distance of the hotel. They have a restaurant in the restaurant which was quite nice, but it was only open for one of the four nights I stayed there (I was there in the slow season of April). There are some decent restaurants in Igls which is a couple of miles away. If you have a car, want a place that's easy to drive to outside the city, and are focused on value, then this fits the bill well.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 June 2013

It is sad that I have to write a bad review about this hotel because I had very high expectations for a stay in the Austrian Alps. And it is indeed my first really bad review for a hotel. Our stay was during the Easter holiday 2013 during two nights. It was the longest stop in our road trip through the Austrian/Italian Alps.

I planned this trip for a long time with my wife, and we booked the hotel (and everything else) with 3 months in advance to be sure to find the best prices cause we knew that everything is really expensive during Easter mainly if you let everything for the last minute. We chose this hotel for the location, facing the mountains and also because we found a very good deal on an online broker, so we decided to give it a shot, despite the bad reviews we found here on trip advisor. But we though that if we went with low expectations everything would be just fine.

A couple of days before our stay I called the hotel from London, as I used to do every time we go on holidays, to be sure that we could get the quietest room as possible, as I was suffering from an aggressive imsonia for a while. Over the telephone, the person that got my call was very nice and say that it would be no problem and they would put a note and make the best they could to put us on a quiet room.

We arrived at the hotel on the Good Friday at night around 23:00. We went straight to the reception to check-in and hoping for a good night of sleep as we had been driving the whole day. There was only one girl in the reception that seemed to be doing more than one function, more exactly, helping with kitchen/waitering, and receptioning. She was indeed doing the best she could, and we could notice that. The hotel is quite small, and from the reception counter where we were waiting, we could see the dinner room accross the lobby on our left and also the kitchen right behind the reception. Between the kitchen and the dinner room and at the end of the lobby a corridor leads to a few rooms in the ground floor.

The check-in was straight forward, but we were extremely shocked when the girl pointed us out our room. The room was right in front of the kitchen (which was still very active, with pans, dishes and all sort of noises that a kitchen regularly does), and also from a very short distance of the dinning room, which looked pretty much like a bad joke. I just panicked. And I told the girl "I cannot sleep here. I have a serious sleep condition and the room is right in front of the kitchen. Come on!" I told her that I called a couple of days before to ensure that I could get a reasonable quiet room. She was inflexible and not quite helpful as well. And then she made a couple of calls which I could not understand a word because was everything in German, but I noticed she was trying to reach someone with power of decision.

I was surprised when she passed me telephone saying that the manager wanted to speak with me. I retold my story to him, and he explained that was the only room they had available at that time of the day, the hotel was fully booked and he could not do anything. Then I asked how can be possible that two days ago someone said everything was ok to separate a quieter room for me, and I ended up in front of the kitchen!!! I stand up and was expecting at least for some kind of apologie which never came, then the manager dropped the following pearl: "You paid for a 70 euros room and you want a 5-star treatment." That was the first time ever a manager was ironic and soberb towards me. Which I replied "sir, you should be more carefull to talk with clients as you know I can tomorrow put a bad review for your hotel online." Well, and that's the moment when things got really ugly!!!

He told me to wait in the lobby because he was coming to the hotel in a 15 minute drive to kick me and my wife out of this hotel. Because we were not sleep on HIS hotel. He did not want people like us to sllep on HIS hotel.

He actually came, and after a few minutes he arrived at the hotel, and with an ironic face asked us "Are you ready to check-out?" Well, I will not tell all the details of the long discussion that followed, but I can let here some of the pearls of wisdom this guy had the courage to say to us around midnight on that Good Friday:
"You need me, I don't need you. I can find another customer in 10 minutes."
"You are not going to sleep in my hotel"
"There are other 25 hotels in the area you don't need to stay in my hotel."
"People today have the power to put whatever they want in tripadvisor, and I have the power to tell you I don't want you to stay in my hotel"
"I have my staff that can put you out if I tell them to do it."

After a long discussion and realizing that we would have to sleep in my car with my wife in a snowy night in the Alps at the best, we just started to say he was right, and agreed with everything he said, so we could sleep on that room and try to ignore everything that happened. We were never so humiliated by someone like that before. We travelled many places already in the world, mainly in Europe, and we never expected to get such disrespectful treatment anywhere in the world. And we were paying for it!!!!

The rest of the stay went smoothly, and in the end, the room was not so bad. We avoided talk with the staff again, and we sleep, eat and leave. But we could notice that the hotel was clearly under staffed. There was people doing 2 functions at the same time.

Don't fool yourself with Best Western hotels. They don't follow any particular quality rules in this franchising. They only use the name of the brand, but it is privately owned and you can end up with guys like this gentleman which was one of the most soberb persons I ever met in my life.

As a last note, and regarding the characteristics of the room, when I reserved it, it said "Mountain view room". Our room was facing a wall and according with the dubious manager "It was a hotel in the mountain, so any view from the hotel was a mountain view!!" Seriously!!!???!???!!!

Well, as it is easy to realize, I would never recommend this hotel for anyone. But if you like to take the risk to be treated like this, be their guests. For me, and independently of the kind of answer the hotel's PR is going to write here in thei own defense, it will never erase that night from my memory.

Room Tip: Pay a lot of money for the most expensive room and you will surely be treated very well.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank silasrp
Reviewed 20 March 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights in March 2013, booking through Best Western with the intention of paying with the Best Western Reward Points.
Checking in was OK, it was nice to see no issue in arriving with a German Sheperd as preadvised in the booking.
The room was quite spacious, with balcony (a deluxe room apparently) but was facing North so no sunshine whatsoever through the window.
Room cleaning daily could have been maybe a little better, was was sufficient.
Bathroom tap was leaking and a shower curtain or glass door would have been nice, but overall the bathroom was OK.
Breakfasts (included) were nice varied and the buffet was replenished quickly.
We never stayed for dinner as our dog wasn't allowed in the room (neither for breakfast so we had to take it in turns).
There was a SPA offer for a sister hotel in the brochure in the room which upon asking was not completely available which was a shame, as we would have done that.
The SPA in the hotel is small, the Jacuzzi isn't very powerful at all so a bit pointless, the sauna is OK, I've used it 3 times without ever meeting anyone else.

Overall an OK stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I have only good things to say about the hotel, staff and the services that they offered. 5 stars from me, not 4! I will love to come back and I recommend it! I didn't went to sauna, steam or jacuzzi, so I cannot give any review about it.
The hotel is near (5 min walking) to the Patscherkofel ski lift which is a very good place for children to go for skiing, learning, but also practicing, like my 5 years old daughter did!

Room Tip: 22, the room with the best view, to the Patscherkofel ski lift
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2012

Visiting Innsbruck, we decided to get an hotel outside of the city. Mid-summer, we want the fresh air. Well this hotel has delivered! Nothing fashionable, rooms are great, clean and in good conditions. Free Internet delivers speed, and absolutely no noise! A car passes by every hour or so, but besides that, even the horses of the neighbours are quiet. Oh, and stay in for supper, because the chef will cook your favourite. And his trendy touch will send you directly in heaven.
Price-to-quality ratio, it is an extremely good hotel....worth the 10 min detour from the downtown Innsbruck.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Some points I'm not impressed about their services:

- We arrived a bit early and asked if the room is ready. The (only) hotel staff didn't check anything and told us that it is not and asked us to wait. Later, it appeared to us the he didn't even know which room we are booking (we're booking an apartment) and our room was actually ready long time ago.

- The internet didn't work when we arrived and the staff told us that they were working on it and would inform us when it worked. He didn't. We had to asked him again a few hours later to learn that it won't work. We also had to keep asking him this and that to learn that we can actually use the internet at the lobby. We had to visit him a few more times about the internet but let's not go that far.

All in all, we have a feeling that they are many small things that the staff could do to help us but he didn't care. A few other small things:
- It's said in the booklet that you can get some coffee. You can't.
- Our apartment has a terrible view. It seems that all apartment room is in the underground floor.
- The hotel is on the mountain which is quite far from Innsbruck (if that's where you want to go).
- They also have a sauna. I don't know if it's free for some guests but it's not for us who booked through booking.com.
- You can get only two accounts of internet usage.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Danupon
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Positive: Very pleasant staff, especially Raluca who really makes a difference to the welcome and ongoing service you receive. The hotel’s proximity to Innsbruck is convenient. Being opposite the bus stop also helps, especially when carrying skis. It is also approx 150 mtrs from the Patchekofel ski lift which is great. Breakfasts are very generous and the sauna, hammam and Jacuzzi make a welcome addition after a day’s skiing.

Observations and a negative: There is nothing around the hotel; not a single shop or restaurant. So, unless you are driving, you will have to take a bus into Igles (€1.90 each way) - 5 minutes or Innsbruck – 30 minutes. A large beer at the hotel will set you back €3.90 and there is the threat of a charge for use of a bathrobe €8.50, which, to be fair, was not enforced during our visit, but disappointing for a hotel that is rated 4*. However, our main gripe was in spite of having agreed a late checkout with the receptionist, who said it was no problem, when it came to checking out they informed us that the charge for late checkout €35; which we contested and settled at €20. Had they told us of this charge in advance, we would have made alternative arrangements.

A disappointing end to an otherwise pleasant stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kj2_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Innsbruck
Hotel Heimgartl
#1 of 1 in Zirl
Gasthof Koreth
Gasthof Koreth
#49 of 72 in Innsbruck

Been to Hotel Roemerhof? Share your experiences!