“Enjoyable stay”
Review of Hotel Bruggerhof

Hotel Bruggerhof
Ranked #38 of 48 Hotels in Kitzbuhel
Reviewed 7 January 2011

I just returned from a 7 night stay with my girlfriend and her parents (they are Austrian, I am English)

I can't understand some of the negative reviews. We all had a very good time. Our room was large with a decent sized bath. The staff were friendly and were able to speak English to me. The spa facilities were a nice touch and a steam room session after a day on the slopes was a welcome addition.

For the money you are paying this hotel was a good find.

Yes people smoke indoors but this is Austria...everywhere is like that. I certainly couldn't smell it in my room.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank jphamlin

Reviewed 18 August 2010

The rooms me and my four friends slept in were fairly good and the spa facilities were small but very convenient. The only thing is that we are all non-smokers and during the 3 days we were there the cigarette smoke was all over the place in the hall, reception and the bar downstairs. Big glitch in an otherwise decent hotel.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Wanderlust094
Reviewed 9 July 2010

The walk into Kitzbuhel takes about 25/35 mins, Hotel offer a limited coach service. Public bus service and train also available. Lovely setting, ten minutes stroll to lake for walking or swimming. Friendly horseshow bar and nice restaurant. Most relaxing after a few hours hillwalking in nearby mountains. Leisure cente available but we didn't use it as fresh air better.
Very good value and would have no hesitation in returning again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 July 2010

I have just come back from a 1 week stay at the Bruggerhof with my boyfriend. The Kitzbuhel region is absolutely stunning and I would recommend it to anyone in an instant. This hotel however, left us feeling a little flat. There are pros and cons to staying here. I think the biggest pro is the value for money. We were on a bit of a budget so this place suited us as we only really wanted the hotel to be a base, as we wanted to get out and explore the region as much as possible. But I would suggest if you have a bit more cash to spend, and you like to stay somewhere a bit luxurious, look elsewhere!

When we first arrived at the hotel, the lady at the reception was friendly and gave us an information pack and some local maps. We arrived quite late in the evening but they still served us a hot meal, which was nice of them as we were not expecting that.

As we walked through the hotel to our room, we were shocked at how old-fashined the decor is. It really doesn't look like it has been decorated since 1960s or whenever the place was built!!! The carpets, curtains and furnishigs are brown and dingy, with horrible ancient old net curtains! The TV was so small and old you could barely see the screen (not that you would really come to the beautiful Tirol region to watch TV, but still!). The bathroom was like a very cramped cupboard, and there were no plug sockets in the room, apart from the one the TV was plugged into, very strange!!! On the plus side, the room was spacious and clean, and the bed was reasonably comfortable. COUPLES BE WARNED though, Austrians don't seem to have double beds. They have a double bed frame with two single matresses on it, pushed together, and separate bedding/duvets etc. So that took a bit of getting used to.

The hotel boasts a new Wellness Centre. This I think is the best part of the hotel. It is a modern stylish and beautiful extention to the drab old hotel. Its a shame that they didn't give the rest of the hotel a re-vamp at the same time! The pool is lovely, and is surrounded by large glass windows which overlook the beautiful mountain scenery. SEE PHOTO! There is a small fitness room with a running machine, cross-trainer, cycle machine, and a mulit-gym weights bench. Its only small but we seemed to be the only people to use it so it was all we needed! There are TWO (2) saunas, a Steam room, and a Laconium room. My favourite is the herbal scented sauna, its so relaxing! BE WARNED, all the Austrians walk around in there naked! But luckily you're not expected to strip off if you don't feel brave enough, I didn't!

The breakfast was really good. It was a buffet-style, with eggs, bacon and sausages (frankfurter style, which I avoided), but they have a large selection of cereal and museli, breads, jams, croissants, youghurt, etc. so theres something for everyone.

The evening meals were a bit hit and miss. It was always a three-course meal, and some of the meals were surprisingly nice, while others were horribly disappointing. A lot of the food served had so much salt in it you could really taste it. They also served up really old fashioned things like potato croquettes and what looked and tasted like angel delight! I would suggest eating elsewhere sometimes, as there are some lovely restaurants in Kitzbuhel town.

The location of the hotel is pretty good, its a 5 minute walk to the beautiful Lake Schwarzee, and probably a further 20 minute walk from there into Kitzbuhel town centre. We didn't mind the walk because the scenery is so lovely. For those who can't be bothered to walk, the hotel operates a free shuttle bus into town in the mornings, and back from town in the afternoons. However, I would recommend hiring a car for at least a couple of days, as there are other lovely places to see which are a short distance away but the local transport links are appalling and take hours. Driving is a hell of a lot easier than getting the train anywhere here! I highly recommend a day at the Lake Chiemsee in Germany (the largest lake in Bavaria with a 60km circumference) - its only about an hours drive away from Kitzbuhel, yet the train would take you the best part of 3 hours with 3 changes!!!

The hotel also claims to have free bike hire, which it does....but the bikes are so old and scary to ride. They were like granny-shopper bikes, minus the basket on the front. They dont have back brakes, you have to pedal backwards to stop. I have never ridden anything like it, and I hope to never again as it was pretty un-nerving. I suggest hiring good quality bikes from the town with proper brakes, as it is just not worth the risk.

The bar was not great as there was no atmosphere and a sparse selection of drinks. Also one night we had been out in the town and came back to the hotel at about 10.45pm and only just managed to get in, because the barlady was leaving for the night and locking the front door to the hotel! I could understand if it were a B&B, but its a hotel!!! We were not expecting some sort of curfew, maybe it was out of season and the hotel was so empty?

So all in all, a clean hotel with alright food, but horrible decor. Lovely new wellness centre, and in my opinion a nice peaceful location (if you don't mind walking 25-30 minutes into town). Probably more affordable and reasonably priced than the swankier hotels in the town. You get what you pay for here, basic accomodation. This hotel could be really lovely with a bit of modernising and TLC. If you just want a base to sleep and wash because you want to make to most of the great Austrian outdoors then this place is fine for that.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aprilius S
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Just returned from a week in Kitzbuehel. Stayed at the family run Hotel Bruggerhof. We found the hotel to be clean warm and friendly.The modern leisure centre is excellent which included a pool , gym area ,several saunas and steamroom.The food was excellent with a buffet option on two of the nights. The staff are friendly and helpfull.
The only drawback is the location although beautifull is about 10 minutes drive from the centre.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2010

If you are looking for a fantastic base for a skiing holiday in Kitzbuhel, then you could not do better than the Bruggerhof.
The hotel is located two miles from the centre Kitzbuhel. It has a warm friendly family feeling. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The food was of a high stadard.
The wellness centre was perfect. A great swimming pool, with jacuzzi.A gym with Nautilus equipment. Cycling/Treadmill/Cross Trainer/ Multi Gym stations. Everything looked brand new. There is also a Sauna and Massage centre.
Our room was in the annex. This room was fantastic. Having a lounge area seperate single bedroom. A huge bathroom with double spa bath. Twin sinks and a shower. There is also a large balcony.
The hotel operates a free shuttle bus to the Kitzbuhel town centre, which is ideal to get you to the ski schools or the Hannenkahm Ski lift.
There is also a ski bus which stops in the hotel carpark. This will take you to the Fleckenbahn Ski lift. If you have a ski lift pass, the bus is free.
The skiing area is imense. The ski lifts are Gondolas or chair lifts. The six man chair lifts are heated. Which is nice!
Another area to ski is the Kitzbuheler Horn. Get the Ringbus ( Free, 10 mins) from the Hannenkahm Car Park.
I would reccomend this hotel to anyone. I have returned myself four times. We will be booking there for 2011

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Just back from this hotel, and have to say we where very impressed. Food was fantastic, service was equally as good. Couldnt fault the hotel at all. Perfectly situated for a ski holiday. Will deffo go back next time we visit Kitbuhel

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple