“Clean, decent, but nothing special.”

Messmer am Kornmarkt
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Bregenz
Breda, The Netherlands
“Clean, decent, but nothing special.”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed for one night in this hotel, arriving by ferry boat from Lindau, Germany. The hotel is at crawling distance from Bregenz Hafen (harbour and train station). The main train station is a bit further away, but within walking distance. Since the town is quite small, everything is within walking distance, really.

Modern is not a word I would use for this hotel. I would call it decent with standard furniture, but it is clean which is one of my main issues with hotels. I thought this hotel had 3 stars, but I see some mentions of 4 stars in the comments. I think 2/3 stars is about right if I compare with other European hotels. I've been in hotels with similar level of quality that had 2 stars. I'm always very happy to find a hair dryer in the bathroom, which was the case here. Traditional key locks, minibar in the room, TV with some English channels (if I remember correctly, I've been in 5 hotels within 10 days).

The breakfast is a buffet style breakfast in an impersonal environment. Enough choices to be made, but nothing special. There is a bar and a restaurant with the hotel. I've been in the bar, which turned out to be smoking area. In the morning there are many people there and the smoke greets you if you come down by stairs and a bit in the hallways. Rooms are non-smoking.

This hotel was booked by my travel agency as part of a round trip through Austria. I wouldn't necessarily have chosen it myself, because I like smaller hotels that do not attract large group travel. While I was there, there were several large groups that also occupied large parts of the breakfast area.

I left my bag for a few hours at the reception area, where it just sat behind the desk in plain sight. Service for that could be better, a room that closes for example.

Room Tip: I had a room at the front of the hotel on the second floor and had no trouble sleeping even though a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Dublin
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed here in early August for one night during our Lake Constance cycle tour with my husband and teenage 3 children. The surroundings were pleasant, the rooms were of a good quality, but we rate this hotel as the worst of the 8 hotels that we stayed in throughout our holiday in this region. The staff were extremely rude, particularly the restaurant waiting staff. We are not native German speakers, although my daughter has pretty good school German. The staff insisted in shouting at us in very rapid German, with no attempt being made to help us understand what was being said. Not one member of staff seemed capable of a smile. We had a guest who joined us for dinner and I was incredulous at the way the staff treated her in particular. The outside eating area is on a beautiful square. It started to rain while we ate dinner outside and we were shouted at again, but had no idea what we were being told. When we responded showing we didn't understand, the manager dismissed us abruptly and walked away.
Staff at reception were also unhelpful and requests were ignored.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank SMaxee

Travellers are raving about these Bregenz hotels

Almelo, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 August 2013

When visiting this 4 star hotel temperature in bregenz was quiet high, 28- 32 Celsius. So it was very unpleasant not to have airconditioning in the room! Breakfast was OK. The parking facility was fine as long as there is still a place available. Not possible to book parking in advance.
Short distances to the lake, shopping area very near.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed one night booked by our cycle tour organizer. It's a typical European hotel where every one smoke at the front door. But the rooms are non smoking and simple, comfortable clean and definitely did not smell. Maybe the 4 star rating refer to their facilities in the hotel like bar, restaurant and conference facilities? Breakfast was quite extensive.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This is a dirty, old, stinky hotel. stuck here by a travel agency (Goodspeed & Bach) do not use them either! NOT a four star hotel. Not sure how they received this rating...
The carpets are filthy (bring slippers) UGH

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank KimSanFrancisco
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Location is very convenient as it's only a minute or two by foot to the shopping area and you can also walk to the casino in ybout ten minutes.
Rooms are nothing special, but clean and not too small. Breakfast was good with nice variety and friendly service.
They have a few parking spaces available which comes in handy as it can be quite dificult to find a paring space on the streets around the hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We happened to get a room of real retro style. Even if the furniture were old the room had a nice atmosphere with real 60's interior. Even the washroom facilities were from the 60's. The general impression was anyway a bit beaten-up, but we like the retro style so it didn't disturbed us too much. The beds were anyway really uncomfortable and hard. Breakfast was ok, but nothing special. The price for a double room was approximately 160 euros. I think the price was too high for this room.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple