“Zero "stars"”

Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Bregenz
New York City, New York
“Zero "stars"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel -- for one night. I was supposed to be there for 7, but one was all I could take.

I am traveling through Europe, on tour with a large-scale musical production. We number just over 70 when you tot up performers, musicians, crew and sundry other staff. I "get" that it can be a bit of a benumbing experience to have us all at once, pouring off of our bus and up to the desk of the unsuspecting hotel clerks.

But that doesn't and shouldn't matter, ultimately. Far more often than not, the hotels where we've booked over the last year have more than adequately risen to the challenges of "en masse occupancy". At the absolute worst establishments where we've stayed, and the Hotel Messmer ranks right up (down?) there with them, it's not just that there facility is out of date, or they don't have services that they claim to have in their advertising (more on that in sentence or two) -- it's that management and staff react to these inadequacies by embracing them; they have a passion for saying "no", and "that is not possible".

"Free wifi". This is what they advertise. It is 1/2 correct, for as there really IS no wifi, you do not have to pay for it. We were told, with a very chilly attitude by management, that the system does not support more than 50 people at one time. With a straight face, they just told that to the roughly 72 people who just checked into their hotel. Other hotels more have internet infrastructures in place that can more than capably handle all customers in the hotel, even if all customers are online at the same time. Imagine checking into a hotel in the late 1950's or early 1960's (where this hotel, by the way, seems stuck in terms of decor and furnishings), having selected your hotel largely on the basis of their advertising "free television", only to be told when you inquire as to the absence of a tv in your room, "oh, not in EVERY room".

But at least my room was cold. Gotta love a nice, freezing room when traveling through Austria in the dead of winter. And that charming "ashtray funk" that permeates every nook and cranny of this fine establishment only adds to the hotel's "retro" charm.

If that's not enough to entice you to drop everything and book a suite immediately, at no extra charge one receives a very thoughtful jackhammer wake-up call at 8 a.m. That advertised sauna in which you were so looking forward shvitzing away the stresses of life on the road? Well, that's undergoing repairs, and can't possibly be ready for use during your stay. But enjoy the noise!

I left the hotel the next morning. Checked into the newish Ibis in town, where the wifi works, the rooms are clean and odor-free, and while they don't offer a sauna, one is left with the impression that if they did, you could trust that it would work. Avoid the Messmer at all costs.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Doug R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
williamstown.ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

This centrally located hotel was very comfortable . The only drawback was lack of air conditioning . This could be a problem depending on the weather.Breakfast was very good.. The beds were typical with a comforter and no top sheet. Bathroom was small with very small shower.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Neat and clean rooms. Though the hallways smelt of cigarette smoke the rooms themselves were fine. Breakfast is well provisioned and good. Location is excellent with the mall, town square, restaurants and most Bregenz attractions within a short walk. Downside of the proximity to all is that you share in all the late night goings-on: streetside rooms can be noisy. Friendly service. Would recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose a quite room, away from the street noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

I love this hotel.

Spotlessly clean, great sized rooms and fab food in a lovely restaurant and bar area.

The breakfast buffet was huge and catered for all possible tastes.

I defy anyone to find fault with this hotel – it’s just comfortable and great.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Breda, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed for one night in this hotel, arriving by ferry boat from Lindau, Germany. The hotel is at crawling distance from Bregenz Hafen (harbour and train station). The main train station is a bit further away, but within walking distance. Since the town is quite small, everything is within walking distance, really.

Modern is not a word I would use for this hotel. I would call it decent with standard furniture, but it is clean which is one of my main issues with hotels. I thought this hotel had 3 stars, but I see some mentions of 4 stars in the comments. I think 2/3 stars is about right if I compare with other European hotels. I've been in hotels with similar level of quality that had 2 stars. I'm always very happy to find a hair dryer in the bathroom, which was the case here. Traditional key locks, minibar in the room, TV with some English channels (if I remember correctly, I've been in 5 hotels within 10 days).

The breakfast is a buffet style breakfast in an impersonal environment. Enough choices to be made, but nothing special. There is a bar and a restaurant with the hotel. I've been in the bar, which turned out to be smoking area. In the morning there are many people there and the smoke greets you if you come down by stairs and a bit in the hallways. Rooms are non-smoking.

This hotel was booked by my travel agency as part of a round trip through Austria. I wouldn't necessarily have chosen it myself, because I like smaller hotels that do not attract large group travel. While I was there, there were several large groups that also occupied large parts of the breakfast area.

I left my bag for a few hours at the reception area, where it just sat behind the desk in plain sight. Service for that could be better, a room that closes for example.

Room Tip: I had a room at the front of the hotel on the second floor and had no trouble sleeping even though a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed here in early August for one night during our Lake Constance cycle tour with my husband and teenage 3 children. The surroundings were pleasant, the rooms were of a good quality, but we rate this hotel as the worst of the 8 hotels that we stayed in throughout our holiday in this region. The staff were extremely rude, particularly the restaurant waiting staff. We are not native German speakers, although my daughter has pretty good school German. The staff insisted in shouting at us in very rapid German, with no attempt being made to help us understand what was being said. Not one member of staff seemed capable of a smile. We had a guest who joined us for dinner and I was incredulous at the way the staff treated her in particular. The outside eating area is on a beautiful square. It started to rain while we ate dinner outside and we were shouted at again, but had no idea what we were being told. When we responded showing we didn't understand, the manager dismissed us abruptly and walked away.
Staff at reception were also unhelpful and requests were ignored.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank SMaxee

Travellers are raving about these Bregenz hotels

Almelo, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

When visiting this 4 star hotel temperature in bregenz was quiet high, 28- 32 Celsius. So it was very unpleasant not to have airconditioning in the room! Breakfast was OK. The parking facility was fine as long as there is still a place available. Not possible to book parking in advance.
Short distances to the lake, shopping area very near.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo