“Hip Atmosphere-Lousy Food”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Leopoldstadt
Description: Viva Mexico! more eating, more drinking, more music, more celebration - simply more of all good things in life! simply typical Mexican!
Reviewed 2 January 2014

"Pancho" . As with so many ethnic restaurants that are out of their culture, Pancho exhibits the same flaws with the execution and seasoning of food that is best enjoyed locally. Although the claim is "authentic" it doesn't really ring true. The food "looks" Mexican but the food did not taste Mexican or "authentic" at all. Perhaps, the "locals" enjoy the food but then what is their knowledge of authentic Mexican cuisine. I " started with the Tortilla Soup, one of my favorite soups from Mexico. The broth was heavily infused with ancho chilies (no-no!), broken tortilla chips (a good way to use up the "not-so-perfect" chips, and some kind of cheese (it may have been feta) floating on top. There was no shredded chicken. There was nothing "authentic" about this soup at all. Next up, was Chicken Enchiladas. I used to think that it was only in America where you would find the idea the "when in doubt throw some cheese on it." My arteries just hardened up at the sight of them and I had to hunt for the chicken inside. After two bites I decided that this was not the best choice I could have made, and perhaps should have gone with the fajitas (which, by the way are NOT Mexican but Tex-Mex-so much for authenticity!)
But the fault doesn't necessarily fall on Pancho, I have found this to be true in many of the foreign cities I've traveled to. If you need to satisfy a craving for Mexican food then you could probably do worse than Pancho (or not.)

1  Thank Adventurer707

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We have tried a few "Mexican" restaurants in Vienna and so far this one is our favorite. We went at the suggestion of friends and just happened to dine there on 1 November "El Dia de Los Muertos" which was a nice coincidence.

We liked the margaritas, although at 8 euros are a bit expensive. Our second round, thankfully, came in slightly larger glasses! Chips are also good but, as others have pointed out, kind of a rip off at 4 euros for a one person portion with small dip. This is the norm in Vienna, however, and not exclusive to Pancho, unfortunately. That said, both the guacamole and pico were pretty good.

Our kids liked the "tacos" which were really what we would consider "taquitos" in the US but presentation was nice and they were tasty. I had chicken tostadas which were improved by the addition of pico de gallo (extra charge, of course). My husband had a burrito - not super authentic, the Austrians haven't learned to roll it up properly, it always looks like a giant enchilada on a plate - but said it tasted good nevertheless.

Also liked the location, right next to Taborstrasse Ubahn and service which was friendly and accommodating, not to mention English speaking. The place was busy and lively but not too noisy that we couldn't converse. Atmosphere was pleasant and family friendly. We will return.

1  Thank LivingInWien
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Menu was filled with references to regional Mexican dishes. We were not too adventurous with our ordering and stuck with tried and true, burritos, fajitas, and salads. We asked for 'not spicy' and were served with fresh fare, good tortillas, etc which would have passed north of the border. (Little more seasoning and cilantro would have been welcomed.)

Service was prompt and efficient but could have been more friendly.

Restaurant Pancho seems to be popular with the after-work drink crowd but we went only for the food. And we were very happy to have discovered Pancho. It is a nice change from traditional Austria cuisine.

Good value too. Four of us got out of their for 40 euro total...

2  Thank Gieg
Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

I was staying at the Hotel Nestroy so the restaurant was less than a 5 minute walk. I went twice for dinner.
The first time I had the meat fajitas. It came with three tortillas and the usual sides. The meat was pan grilled so the taste was not too authentic, but good non-the-less. The waiter was very good and polite.
The second visit was not as good, solely because of the waiter. I had the chicken enchiladas which were very good but came with no sides. The waiter had a bad attitude, not just with me, and seemed to not have things under control. It took over 20 minutes to get a receipt with three reminders. In the end I got it after I complained to another waiter. They seemed to get into an argument right in front of everyone.
My experience and rating would have been more positive if not for that waiter.

3  Thank Hamooty
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Pancho is a Mexican restaurant - it's OK but very busy - which tells you a lot. It's full of people, noisy and lively, food wasn't bad but nor brilliant either. Worth going to for he experience.

1  Thank PaulK2011