“Average food, bad service”

Brandauers Bierbogen
Ranked #460 of 4,267 Restaurants in Vienna
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Barbecue, Central European, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Vienna, Austria
“Average food, bad service”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is one of the big dinner & beer places - nicely decorated with a vast variety of dishes. The Quality of the Food is okay but nothing Special. A real turn-off is that they seem not be able to organize their staff properly. We had reserved a seperate room for about 70 People. Only one waiter took orders which I understand is some challenge. Anyway he also turned out to be rather RUDE. Only after I snapped at him and I told him it is the restaurant´s Problem to organize the necessary staff for a booked group like ours he tried to avoid being rude again (ironically the Restaurant was not full at all). I do blame the waiter for his rudeness but I do blame the Management of this place even more for not being able meet the needs of their group-customers.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank hansjoergn

• Hungarian first
Fort Worth, TX
“Good for Party Time... or for a Glass of Beer after Work...”
Reviewed 2 March 2013

A relative of mine had suggested for our recent get-together “Brandauer’s Bierbogen”, close to the Spittelau Station of the Viennese subway system. It’s located underneath several of the elevated aqueduct-like arches of one of Vienna’s suburban train lines (no longer used on that section).

It was winter time… so, no sitting outside which, according to my relative, is quite enjoyable.

The place is huge… split level… which can present a problem for some of us… when you sit at a table at street level and have to go to the bathrooms, you have to manage a long flight of stairs because the bathrooms are located on the second floor. Also, the smoking area is very large, extends from street level to second floor; non-smoking section is separated, with an automatic sliding door.

We came early, around 4 P.M., the place was half empty. Sitting down at a table the waiter informed us that it was reserved for some time later, around 7.30 P.M. Not wanting to be rushed, we had to settle at a table close to the bar. And sure enough, a couple of hours later, the place was cracking full (and the noise level was getting high). That means, if you want to go there, you better make a reservation.

Food is average good Viennese home cooking (Hausmannskost); dishes are mainly meat-based, and if you are a Schnitzel-fan, you will not be disappointed. They even had ribs on the menu though from the look at it — guests at the table next to us had them — I don’t think they would have passed as ribs in Texas.

My relative had a cordon bleu — a huge piece, came with potato salad — and was very satisfied.

That day being a Friday (which for me means: fish day… I love fish) I searched the menu for fish but couldn’t find but a single entry: grilled Zander, a pike-perch, close in taste to the walleye. I double-checked with the waiter whether it really would be grilled… yes, of course, he assured me, so I ordered it. It came on a huge bed of parsley potatoes and broccoli. The only problem: it wasn't grilled, it was sauté-ed, and of insipid taste. Not what I had hoped for…a bit disappointing.

Beer is O.K.; they have their house beer from the tap; no outstanding flavor, fairly light; over the evening, each of us downed twelve half-liter mugs without a problem. Bottled beer is available, too.

Service was quick and attentive, despite the crowds.

For the amount of food you get, prices are very reasonable.

Bottom line: The location being quite away from the center of Vienna, I’d say it’s not worth a trip… unless your business partner in Vienna invites you to go there, together with the boys; it seems to be a good venue for parties.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank DFAvJ
Sarzana, Italy
“Rumpsteak!”
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Very good after-work dinner! We enjoyed Bierbogen to relax, have good beer and meal: we gained this target! I tasted 3 types of draft beer and my preferred one was the non-pasteurized, with a bitter aftertaste. I ordered a really good medium-rare steak (the Rumpsteak) served with potatoes and vegetables. As dessert I got an hot chocolate cake served with chocolate cream and cream. The place is an old renovated building, not close to the city center, but easy to reach thanks to Spittelau underground.

• Visited February 2013
London
“could service be any worse?”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Whenever I return to Vienna I look to try a different Austrian restaurant. I am orginally from Vienna and miss the food and good beer.
On this occasion I met up with a group of friends in the early evening at Braundauer's Bierboegen and we sat in the non-smoking area. At first the service was fine, but as the evening continued the waiter was absent for long periods of time and forgot orders. When we asked another passing waiter if we could order something, he asked us rudely where our own waiter was. How should we know? It became more and more clear after that that the restaurant would have liked us to move to another part of the restaurant presumably so they could reduce the number of staff. But instead of asking us to move (which would have been to the smoking area), the service deteriorated even more. The music was turned off and we only got snotty answers to as why. Only when we asked to pay the waiter couldn't be quicker and friendlier. It was such an appalling experience that I would never return, even though the food was actually pretty good. I strongly advice to try a different Austrian restaurant such as the Zwicklstuben, Stern Brau or Salm Brau for example.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Corvicula
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Excellent for the price”
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Nice and very friendly staff. Food quality is very good and ample portion of meal is served. Ideal for a large group and you will enjoy the service. Fast adn quick service. Drinks are economical price.