“Excellent restaurant both for lunch and dinner.”

Zum Roten Elefanten
Ranked #2,274 of 4,144 Restaurants in Vienna
Neighbourhood: Mariahilf
Neighbourhood: Mariahilf
Vienna, Austria
“Excellent restaurant both for lunch and dinner.”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I had an amazing trout (beats all other frozen seafood I tried everywhere else). Great price/quality ratio

• Visited November 2011

Sydney, Australia
“not sure if its French - but still very good & value plus”
Reviewed 11 June 2011

I am unclear whether Chilanga's review in 2009 is of the same restaurant! The one I went to (address is right) I would not classify as classic French really at all, although I did have coq au vin so-called I think - maybe just a new take on the classics and just modern food very well prepared. I was only in Vienna for 2 days - went there one night and had to go back for lunch to get another one in, it impressed me that much (the quality and the very good prices). I must also say (not as a card-carrying vego) that you will be very well suited here if of that persuasion. At the dinner there was a choice of 4 main dishes - 2 of them were vego, so 50/50. Why only 4 main dishes? - the restaurant is fairly small, I would say only about max. 35 seats, and kitchen has to be seen to be believed, the smallest I think I have ever seen anywhere. I think the sous chef has to stand outside most of the time! I almost can't even remember what I ate now - but I am going back there in a few weeks as I am in Europe again for another holiday. The wait staff is most affable, let them recommend the wine by the glass, I did. It is such good value this place, you will feel ripped off almost anywhere else. The servings are not huge and more designed so you can have 3 plates in classic (yes, French) style. If you are staying near or on Mariahilfer strasse, do not miss this one. And the logo and name is so cute too.

• Visited October 2010
Las Vegas, NV
“Best French food in Vienna”
Reviewed 15 March 2009

Without doubt, one of my best meals in Vienna was at Zum roten Elefanten in the sixth district. Recommended by both the paper of record, close friends and my twin sister, we had to go and have a family dinner there.

Turns out our six o'clock reservation was not necessary, as the place was virtually empty, only to fill up very fast as the evening progressed. The restaurant is minimalist, small by American standards, with clean, clear lines and a nice bar. It certainky had all the characteristics of a great French restaurant, including tables that are very close together, which my father despises. Still, he was very pleased; and the food won him over. I'll tell you why.

In French style, Zum roten Elefanten (The red elephant) offers a prix fixe menu with a twist. You can order a full three-course menu with either soup or appetizer, entree and desert or order any item a la carte at reasonable prices. We all chose the three-course combo, and my mille feuille with eggplant was light, crisp, and to-die for. My brother-in-law had the very traditional -- and downright excellent -- canard à l'orange, while my Dad chose the wish of the day. For desert, I chose the traditional crème brûlée, which certainly did it justice. My mom had the cheese platter, which consisted of a fantastic, small selection of artisan cheeses. The other desert option was a fantastic homemade gelato. The three-course menus run between 18 and 22 Euro.

We accompanied our lavish meal with two bottles of excellent red Austrian Zweigelt. Service was efficient and uncomplicated, and the dining room was run by one affable waiter, as is customary in Europe. However, he did a good job at keeping our glasses filled and our food moving at an appropiate speed. The only thing missing from the place are white tablecloths. What can I say: I am a sucker for white tablecloths: it just adds an extra ounce of sophistication to everything.

Zum roten Elefanten is a fantastic choice for a traditional French meal in Vienna. They are also open for lunch.