“Pleasant lunch in the park”

Volksgarten Pavillon
Ranked #3,773 of 4,770 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Austrian
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Reviewed 24 July 2018

We were looking for a light lunch in the park & came across the Pavillon, after rejecting a rather dull looking cafe. The menu was surprisingly interesting and both the salad and the halloumi sandwich with curried hummus were very good and not over priced at around €8 each. A large beer was €4:80. Service was helpful but this pace doesn't take credit cards so you need cash. There is an ATM nearby.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

This cafe was the worst I’ve ever been too in all the years I’ve travelled. The service was poor,the food was poor and expensive. We witnessed the cook cleaning her nails in the kitchen area with cooking utensils. The bill was wrong as was another customers and when we asked for a receipt she said the register wasn’t working.The only time we received any service was at the end when she was hoping for a tip. My tip is Avoid it like the plague.

Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

After having watched my husband and myself struggling to get my wheelchair first in the garden, second when it started raining... inside, the waiter, having already cashed in on some totally overpriced food and drink, actually ASKED my husband why he would not tip him more. BOTH waiters watched us struggling with my wheelchair without moving a muscle...but to have the smirking cheek to then ask for more tip is unprecedented. The Volksgarten is a nice enough place but there is no reason to go into the overpriced Pavilion. You can find much better service a stone throw away.There are nice cafés just across the road NOT charging those prices and not looking down on what they think are tourists.(Wir leben vielleicht im Ausland, aber sind möglicherweise trotzdem nicht völlig taub, blind und sprachlos). Simply: AVOID

Reviewed 20 June 2017

We stopped here for coffee and a break mid-morning between sightseeing in Vienna. It is near the Hofburg which was our destination. It was not crowded when we arrived. The service was quick and friendly as the server put up with my meager German in taking our order. We enjoyed a hot pot of coffee with milk and omelets. The food was good and the coffee hot! The outside dining area is shaded and we were seated on the edge near the shrubs. Small birds would hop on our table looking for a crumb and we happily accommodated them with small pieces of bread. Overall it was a pleasant experience.

Reviewed 21 May 2017

I did not have the bad experience here that other reviewers have described, but I was only here for drinks so visitors need to assess the food for its merits. What I can say is that the location is superb right in the heart of Vienna and in the lovely Volksgarten. It is not a modern place and I would describe the service as 'OK' though not the fastest in the world (a feature shared with many other of the city's cafes and bars!) Prices are not cheap. I think my impression was that it is a good place for a stop whilst walking around this part of the city but I would not choose it for a special meal.