“Good coffeehouse”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I ate my first apflestrudel in Wien at Griensteidl. Although we had to wait for more than 40 minutes to get in the place, both the coffee and the apflestrudel were great. And the price was not that expensive...

Reviewed 12 August 2014

My wife and I managed to fit in four visits in 3 days! The coffee & cakes are superb. The service efficient in an old fashioned sort of way. The coffee house itself has a charming decor inside and the outlook sitting outside is both impressive & vibrant. Try the Esterhazytorte & the Topfentorte... Delicious! A piece of each, two double espressos, a verlangerter (Americano) and a soda 25€... Pretty good value considering the location.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had light lunch on this Cafe. Food was okay and service too. Nothing special, definetly not worth of TripAdvisor's averange grade. We also thought that in Europe you don't need to check your check item after item, but we made that amateur mistake with this cafe. So if you go on this Cafe check your check with magnify glass, so they don't charge you with extra drinks, etc. which you didn't order.

1  Thank An O
Reviewed 22 July 2014

After a *very* hot Monday morning spent prowling the Graben area, and after an enjoyable visit to Julius Meinl, we treated ourselves to lunch at Griensteidl. The establishment was in the midst of renovations, so only about half or a third was open, but we had a very enjoyable lunch while soaking up some Old Vienna cafe atmosphere. Salads, a little fried fish, sparkling water and then coffee (too hot for wine!) were all enjoyable. Service was of the stiff-but-friendly variety, if that doesn't sound too contradictory: I think a lot of visitors forget that in good European restaurants, being a server is a profession, not a pickup job as it is too often elsewhere, and its practitioners take the work very seriously. No air conditioning on the day we were there -- whether that's the norm, as I'd guess it is, or a consequence of the renovations, I don't know -- but that wasn't a problem, as the big old high-ceilinged room was comfortable. Lots of interesting people-watching at no extra charge... We'd love to return to see how the renovations work out.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have mixed reviews on this one. We stopped in here on our way to the Mozart concert at the Hofberg. The service was just ok. She was very serious and no nonsense. We don't speak German so she seemed annoyed when we asked her questions. I ordered a toasted ham and cheese sand wich and the potato soup. Both were very good. The apple strudel in vanilla cream sauce was okay. She drenched it in the cream sauce which really took away from the apple strudel. When it was time to pay she didn't give us a check, she just told us verbally what we owed so we paid, then she gave us the check. Unfortunately when we got back to the room I looked at the check and noticed that we paid for 2 additional drinks a bottle of wine that we did not order!! Make sure you know what youre paying for.