“Sunday Lunch Surprise”

Ranked #324 of 4,341 Restaurants in Vienna
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Neubau
Reviewed 23 January 2013

After scoping out several menus in Vienna one Sunday we gladly settled on Cafe Restaurant Halle, both for ambiance & the offerings on the menu. As with many travelers, I am sure, Sunday late morning meals in the city are a special ritual for me and I will put in the pavement pounding time to ensure I enjoy the experience thoroughly.

The restaurant was extremely busy but we did not mind the 10-15 minute wait time. The atmosphere was lively and bright and a fun people watching prelude to a great meal. I had Crispy Thai Chicken garnished with wok fried vegetables, red curry and coconut rice and it was both very delicious and attractively presented.

This city has a great culinary tapestry and while we did not linger long after the meal, when in Vienna again, I would certainly make time to enjoy a meal and drink here again.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

Made reservations at Halle just after Christmas on the recommendation of a friend who used to live in Vienna. After several days of heavy local fare like schnitzel and sausages our family was ready for something a little lighter and less Viennese. The menu was terrific and varied - interesting starters, creative mains, huge salads. I had a hard time choosing - a first as a vegetarian in Austria. My kids loved their club sandwich and hamburger. My husband had a delicious, rich gratin with potatoes, cranberries and cheese - which sounds weird but was to die for. My father had a risotto with blue cheese, grapes and walnuts - creamy, rich and fabulous. I loved my tasty salad with red cabbage and beets. We were all too full for desert. Local beers and wine. Restaurant design is minimalist. Service was decent, if not friendly. Waitress spoke English, which was helpful. The prices are low considering the quality and selection offered. Great location. Overall - well worth a visit.

1  Thank Kelliemurfski
Reviewed 6 January 2013

A good place for brunch located within the Museumsplatz. The only place we found with something approximating an American breakfast in Vienna on the menu (egg dishes) if one is looking for something heavier than pastries for breakfast/brunch. Other non breakfast items on the menu were good also. Very busy place due to the location.....reasonable service.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

We just finished visiting the Modern Art Museum in Musemplatz, Vienna, and saw a few outdoor cafes in the square. We chose this one (the one by the wall with the glass desert case at the bottom of the stairs, not the one upstairs that also has in indoors) because of its menu selection and drinks, as well as the healthy food.

They have a variety of interesting cocktails as well as non-alcoholic drinks. I particularly liked one called Carpe Diem (a fruity cranberry flavor with a little gaz). The best appetizer was the Bruschetta which uses fresh tomatoes and melted brie cheese and served warm on toasted rye bread. Ooey gooey good !! My chicken with roasted potatoes, ratatouille and rosemary sauce was also excellent.

Reviewed 7 August 2010

Warning! Indoor smoking! This ruined it for us. Otherwise ok but nothing special. Local handout for young local (smoking) artists, even with children next to them so the children get to smoke too. Horrible.

1  Thank Brindabellaboy