“Comfortable, clean, off the beaten path”

Rainers Hotel Vienna
Ranked #161 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 22 January 2014

**Location: Do you want a hotel within the city center, or at least within walking distance of the city center? Do you want to be surrounded by idyllic Viennese architecture and splendor? Would you like a location where you have a plethora of cafes and restaurants to choose from? Then this hotel is NOT for you.
The Rainers hotel is located off the beaten path, about a 10-20 minute tram ride (depending on whether or not there are delays…we only experienced this once and it took 20 min with the delay) from the city center. The location itself I would describe as urban; that is, the buildings are generally from the mid-20th century and the surrounding areas are more industrial than baroque. For those who are not used to urban sprawl, this area may seem unsafe, although I personally do not feel it is dangerous. There is not much to see near the hotel, with the exception of a church just down the street near the tram station, so don't expect majestic views of Vienna from here. So, for anyone that is comfortable with a small commute via public transportation and the urban location, this hotel is a good choice.

**Rooms: Do you want a clean, spacious (as far as Europe is concerned), and modern room? Would you like to be in an area that is generally very quiet (not close to bars/restaurants/train stations/etc)? Then this hotel IS for you. (Those of you traveling from the United States who have never been abroad: generally rooms in "cheaper" or older European hotels are small. You may read this review and think that by my saying the room is spacious, it means it is similar in size to a hotel room in the States. It's not. It is, however, larger than what you would normally get for a room at this price.)
The rooms have been recently renovated and are very clean. In Vienna, when you ask for a double room, you will get 2 single beds pushed together. There is a flat screen TV, English channels including CNN, BBC and Al Jazeera, as well as various channels in German and Italian. There is a DVD player (keep in mind that DVD players have regional specificity, that is a US DVD will not play on the player), and our room had a mini bar (outrageous prices though). There is also a hot water pot with tea and instant coffee, and a safe that is big enough to put a laptop in. The bathroom was clean and new. Our only complaint was that the pin you pull up to use the shower was stuck the first day, but this was fixed by day 2. Housekeeping came in every day while we were out and vacuumed, wiped down surfaces, and changed the towels.

**WiFi: WiFi in the rooms is NOT free! I thought it was when I booked, but I was mistaken. It is 12 euro/day for WiFi in the room or 18 euro for 3 days of use. If you do not want to pay, there are 2 Mac computers in the lobby that can be used for the Internet for free. However, they seem like they are constantly in use, so be aware that you may have to wait.

**Breakfast: Breakfast is buffet style from 6:30 to 9:30 am and costs extra. Do you want a breakfast with traditional American items such as pancakes, waffles, cold cereals, white bread and cold juices? Then the breakfast is NOT for you. Although the spread is quite impressive, if you have a picky eater in your family, chances are they might have a hard time finding something they want to eat.
Breakfast items: Assorted rolls/breads (all of which have some sort of grain/seed/flavor added), jams/jellies in all flavors, butter, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, boiled eggs, 4 different kinds of sausage, baked beans, 5 different kinds of artisan cheeses, sliced cheeses, sliced meats, smoked salmon, sliced veggies, bacon, coffee, tea, 4 juices (served at room temperature), and assorted desserts/pastries.
I personally felt breakfast was worth it because I could get whatever I wanted and go back for seconds. I used it as an opportunity to stuff myself and then I wouldn't be hungry until almost dinner, thus saving money by not eating at the tourist locations I was visiting.

**Staff: The staff that I interacted with were all very friendly. They spoke very good English and were able to give us directions to the closest tram stop and how to get to certain places of interest. I always think it is worth it to speak a small amount of the native language (please, thank you, yes, no, hello, goodbye) and I think they appreciate the effort, although here it is not necessary.

**Bottom Line:
Location- not ideal, but manageable
Rooms- Spacious, clean, modern
WiFi- Free in lobby, pay in room
Breakfast- Excellent as long as you are not picky
Staff- Friendly and speak English

4  Thank Nina G
WernerMagedler, Manager at Rainers Hotel Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Nina G.,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this detailled feedback.
We do value our guests opinion as we always work on exceeding our guests expectations.

I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We would love to welcoming you back to this beautiful city some time in the future!

Best regards,

Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

With a maid services everyday and very trustworthy. Left money out and nothing went.
Reception staff absolutely fantastic bunch of team very helpful and just great company too.

Ok there is two major let downs one is the cost of wifi extremely high should not be charged but free if they would like to make 5 stars

Also is the opening time for room service and the actual restaurant on a Saturday nite finishes at 10 pm and during the week 9 pm this is totally not the way to run a business as there's no other restaurants close to eat.

The hotel owner who's not in a chain thinks it doesn't matter but it would if all of a sudden had no guest. This is a message to him from room 345 under the name of Lam change this buddy it's what's letting the whole hotel down from 5 stars to 3 on the reviews and puts your staff in a very awkward position. Thanks

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
WernerMagedler, Manager at Rainers Hotel Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear Guests,

thank you very much for taking the time to write a feedback about your stay!

I am glad to hear, that our team left an absolute positive impression of our hotel.

In regards to the things you have mentioned in your review - the restaurant opening hours - I am glad to inform you that we will undergo a major renovation during the next month, which will be the start to our brand new food and beverage concept!

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Best regards from Vienna,

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

To review this hotel one has to be very objective. On the plus side, the hotel is well located. Close to the centre and only about 3 min walk from the S-Bahn and tram stations of Matzleinsdorfer Platz that connect u to the underground and the rest of Vienna's public transport network. Anyone who says otherwise it is only because they don't know how to navigate Vienna's excellent transport network. The staff was very helpful and polite. The rooms were cleaned everyday. The hotel also posseses a nice gym and available for the guests at all times.
On the other hand, It is very disappointing to see that a 4* hotel still charges you for the use of internet in your room. This is a service provided usually for free. There is an internet space next to the reception for the use of guests however the two available computers are very slow. The names of the room categories are quite misleading. For example, using terms such as "Superior Double Room" for what is really a standard quite small room. Also, the rooms have a problem of dust.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hidanovic21
WernerMagedler, Manager at Rainers Hotel Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.

Whilst I am glad to hear, the hotels location aswell as the helpfullness of our staff was to your liking, I am sorry to read your comments about your disappointment regarding the room size aswell as the provided internet options.

We do offer, as you probably already know, different kind of room categories aswell as packages, part of them do include free WIFI service. If you book our Superior Double Room with the Best Available Rate WIFI would be available for a charge of EUR 3,- for 3 hours, EUR 12,- for 24 hours and EUR 18,- for 72 hours.

Your comment about the dust aswell as the speed of our lobby computers was acknowledged and we will definitely look into this matter!

We look forward to welcoming you back someday.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Location is not central, but it is very convenient to get from the hotel to city center (use trams!) and to any other place. The hotel is located just several stops from Wien Meidling train station that is very good for train travellers. Trains from Venezia, Budapest etc come to this station.
We had absolutely no problem with the area (note that there is a cementery around, but there are much more cementeries around in Wien). The area is very safe around Gudrunstrasse, we haven't spotted any weird people altthough we were walking unttil midnight and beyond.
Furthermore, we found a lot of options to get around the city either with BUS+Metro or Trams/Regional trains. For the 4 day stay we strongly advice you to buy KLIMA ticket, it would cost you some EUR3 per day per person to use all city transportation. You will have to walk 2-3 mins to the tram station to get on tram #1 which brings you to the ring. Note that trams in Wien are very fast and travel underground 50% of time.
Another very cool thing - there is a Zielpunkt store just around the corner, allowing you to fill your fridge with fresh&cheap food.
In a superior room we enjoyed the teapot, selection of teas/coffee, special glasses for champaigne and other small things that have made our stay in Wien more pleasant. The room was extremely clean and furniture was new. Elevators/lobby was very nice and the staff was very friendly and helpful! The sound isolation was perfect and we had a very good sleep during all our stay.
We came in very early on our first day and the staff has given us the room at 11 am, which was very nice on their side.
Before getting a visa, the hotel issued all necessary documents for the embassy within just 1-2 days, so it is highly recommended for non-EU travellers.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are very nice!
2  Thank ElenaY991

Dear Elena,

thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed feedback about your stay.

I am glad to read, that you indeed have enjoyed your trip to Vienna and that your experience with our hotel was a postive one.
We would love to welcome you back in the future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Reading all those bad critics about this hotel made me really afraid and I wanna confess that I had the though to cancel my stay there. I stayed to the hotel from 6 to 11 of December. Let's start to analyse this hotel based on the comments I read from other guests and based on my own experience.
***Location***: When you look from the window, let's say you dont see Stephan's Church or Danube river. This makes the location bad??? I really dont think so...From the hotel to the train's station you need 3mins on foot, from there you take the train for one station and then the underground and in 3 stations you are at the Stephan's street! SO SIMPLE!!!! We never used the tram, train and metro worked fine for us and I suggest the hotel staff start suggesting the train+metro to the guests since it is easier and faster.
***Surrounding Area***: The area that the hotel is located has many shops, markets and houses and there is no reason to be afraid to walk there...Reading some of the previous critics I was afraid I will face a high criminality area...
***Staff***: The staff at the reception was very helpful and polite, they explained us how to get to different locations, they suggested us coffee places, they draw us on map and helped us in everything we asked them. The staff at the restaurant was very helpful too and polite.
***Room*** The room was a decent one, very clean, warm, with a fridge and one window. The bathroom too. They provided us with clean towels daily and soaps and shower gels.
***Breakfast***: The breakfast was AMAZING, they had everything! 3-4 different kinds of sweets, nuts, sausages, bacon, potatoes, eggs cooked or boiled, all kinds of cheese and meats, yoghurt, salmon, sushi, fruits, many kinds of breads, croissant, pancakes, beans, salads, many kinds of cereals, drinks, juices etc.
***Computer and Internet*** My big complaint was that there was not free wifi in that hotel. The charge for wifi was 12 euros per day. Meaning that even if u would have used the wifi for 3 hours you had to pay 12 euros cause the subscription would have expired in the next 24 hours. The hotel also has 2 apple computers in the lobby that they respond sooooooooooooooooooo slowlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I made like 15 mins to get to my mail... I suggest the manager start thinking of replacing those 2 computers.
If you ask me If I will go to this hotel again, my answer is absolutely YES! hoping of course they will do something for their wifi charges and for their low speed responding apple computers.

4  Thank Marthaki D
WernerMagedler, Manager at Rainers Hotel Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Marthaki D,

thank you very much for taking the time to write such a thorough feedback about your stay!

I am happy to read, that you described your experience as amazing. Also that our product did exceed your expectations!
As you realised yourself, every guest sees and feels things differently, but we do appreciate all kind of feedback, as we aim to improve our standard constantly.

Thank you again for your comments regarding our internet options, will discuss pissible changes for the future!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future!

Kind regards form the Rainers Vienna Team and myself,

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Clean hotel, not very well located. The staff was not very helpful. You have to leave a guarantee of 100 euros at your check in. I will not come back again here. The breakfast costs 10 euros and is quite ok but not extraordinary,

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
WernerMagedler, Manager at Rainers Hotel Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Dear Iulia B.,

thank you very much for taking the time to write a feedback.

Whilst I am happy to see that you seem to have enjoyed our breakfast, I am very sorry to hear, that on this occasion we were not able to satisfy your expectations.
In regards to your comment about the EUR 100 deposit, I am happy to inform you, that we have put aside this company standard and do not take any guarantee, if you have prepaid your reservation already.

I hope you will come back to visit Vienna again sometime in the near future! It is a beautiful city.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed 5 nights at the end of september and everything was ok: a big room, very good and tasty breakfast, good wi-fi. The parking was 16 euros/night.
I had some problems with my credit card because the receptionist authorized twice my booking and for this reason I could't use a lot of money 3 days. Their mistake, my problem. I was expacting for some discounts, for example to pay only 3 days parking, but they didn't offer me something like this.
The same receptionist forgot to give me the vouchers which could be used to the bar (5 euros/voucher/night).
The hotels is not located very central but the red line subway is only to 10 minutes walk.
In the end I can say: good hotel, excellent staf (except one).

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Laurentiu_Pavel
WernerMagedler, Manager at Rainers Hotel Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for taking a few minutes of your time to write a feedback about your stay.

I am sorry to hear that ,while you seem to have liked our hotel and its staff, we have missed the opportunity to act in your interest to compensate a mistake.
I am sure our staff has already done it, but once again I would like to apologize for the misunderstanding upon arrival and the inconvenience it has caused you.

Should you consider coming back to Vienna in the future, we would be more then happy to welcoming you back.

Kind regards,