“Good place to stay in Vienna”

Steigenberger Hotel Herrenhof Wien
Ranked #29 of 358 Hotels in Vienna
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 June 2012

The hotel is ideally located, just 5 min walk from St Stephen's cathedral and offers comfortable rooms.
The hotel is well decorated with good features (SPA, fitness center, bar with a good list of drinks...), rooms are of decent size and in a good state.
Good surprise, the mini-bar is included in the room rate (for Deluxe rooms). The mattresses are firms and of good quality, rooms are soundproofed and therefore very quiet.

Definitely a good place to stay if you are planning to stay in Vienna, the staff is helpful and very friendly. The only bad point was that mini-bar had not been refilled on the second day and we had to call the reception twice before getting it done (an hour after the 1st call, nobody had showed up whereas we were told someone was coming to provide the drinks). But overall, everything was fine and I would surely recommend this place for a trip there.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank FeatStick1
Write a ReviewReviews (3,308)

Reviewed 8 June 2012

Stayed at the Steigenberger Hotel for a week in April 2012. Well maintained place with friendly staff. Situated in the centre of the old city with many sights within walking distance. Central Cafe is just a 2 minute walk away with the shopping district (high street) 10 minutes walk from the hotel. Clean rooms with daily room service. Free wifi for in house guests. Mini bar is charged if a refill is required. Premium TV channels comes with a price.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend visit to Vienna. I was looking for something that was close to Hofburg Palace and easily walkable to restaurants, shopping, etc. We weren't disappointed. The location was fantastic. Close to everything we wanted to see and do. A very walkable area which was just fun to wander around and explore. But the location wasn't what blew us away - they hotel was spectacular. Service was great. The front desk staff was incredibly friendly and helpful in helping us plan our days, when we needed something out of our car it was quickly delivered to our room, and they also brought us a vase when my husband surprised me with a bouquet of flowers. All of our requests were quickly and happily attended to. The rooms were very comfortable and we appreciated the mini bar that was entirely free - stocked with water, beer, soda, etc. Breakfast was fair - with a decent selection. We also liked the lounge area. It was perfect for relaxing with a drink and/or getting a bite to eat. I would highly recommend this hotel and when we are back in Vienna, it will be our hotel of choice!

Reviewed 3 June 2012

The best Feature of this hotel is the location. Very close to the u - bahn stop so we were able to avoid using taxis when going to and from the train stations. Rooms were comfortable and clean. Don't stay at the front of the hotel ....very noisy. Service was good but not over the top and not what you would expect from a five star property. Would I stay there again.......... Maybe and if I do, it is for the location.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 4QueenMum2
EPerwanger, General Manager at Steigenberger Hotel Herrenhof Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear Guest
thank you for taking the time for commenting on our hotel and services. We deeply regret that our service did not meet your expectations and of course I would be very interested in learning more in detail in which areas we could improve our service and attitude.
We are right in the city center and of course this brings a certain amount of noise in the busy hours of the day - but still less than for hotels on Ringstrasse. This is why we do have installed soundproof windows in already 50% of our rooms - a challenge in a historic monument under protection as we need to observe many legal aspects - but we are working on finalizing the rest of the rooms within the year.
Should you want to have very quiet rooms, we do offer rooms to the inner courtyard.
We hope to see you back at Steigenberger here in Vienna or any other Steigenberger Destination. Kind regards
Elisabeth Perwanger General Manager

Reviewed 30 May 2012

You know when you read the reviews there is always that bad one. You know the one where someone was not happy for some stupid reason. Well this is not the case.
This is NOT an almost 5 star hotel in any way. I would rather be writing a glowing review but I can not and here is why.
Let me start in the bathroom... a towel was dirty-black marks all over. The towel are far from plush-much closer to thin (motel 6 paper towel type thin-yes an exateration, but trying to make a point. There was one little round flat soap and the other toiletries were nothing to speak of.
When you walk out of the hotel, you are greeted by many guests standing right in front smoking.
The breakfast was so-so. They make you pre pay for breakfast to get 8 euro off the price and "no refunds" is what you are told when you do it.
On the bright side, the service was excellent.

1  Thank skihowie
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Just checked out today and was given a packet of gum with a reminder to please place a review - how clever! It obviously worked, because here I am.

The best compliment I can give is that I would stay here again and be happy to recommend Steigenberger Herrenhof Wien to friends. I am most impressed by the value of the hotel, I did not find there to many hotels priced in the same range that offered the ammenities or have rooms fitted as nicely in such a central location. We walked to most of the sites or took the metro which was just steps away. And the complimentary cold drinks in the mini-bar were a lifesaver, such a great ammenity and very much appreciated.

After traveling all night, I arrived at the hotel exhausted around 10-11a and was prepared for (and dreading) the hotel to have to hold my bags until the standard check-in time of 2p... I cannot say how much it meant for them to immediately check me in without the typical "lecture/reminder" of the policy but rather they simply handed my key over after 5 short minutes of paperwork. Of course I know this is not always possible, but it made my day to head to my room straight away.

And they offer complimentary wifi - not just complimentary internet, but WIFI - THANK YOU for that. I am writing this from a different hotel that only offers broadband and it's quite the disappointment to be tethered to the desk and only able to use a laptop on it.

With all the fabulous dining options in Vienna, we opted to forgo the breakfast. We did, however, order room service one day. I have to say, it was top notch fast, piping hot & delicious! It may have been even faster, but under 20 minutes for sure.

It's wonderful that there are usually so many (friendly!) desk staff when we stopped by with any questions, made it easy to ask questions and be on our way. Due to our jet lag, we were wide awake and wanting to go out for dinner at 11pm... the lady at the desk made a special effort to look up a place that would be open at that hour, as much of the city had already closed. Although she did offer for the hotel to make sandwiches for us, which was kind, we were just eager to get out and see the city.

Rooms were spacicious, clean and comfortable. I liked that I could open the windows and enjoy the fresh air. I know it is not always customary to provide an iron & board in each room, but in a perfect world, these would be added.

Dear Guest,
great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Vienna - and of course that you liked our gums :-) .

Thanks a lot for the note about iron and ironing board - at present these can be asked for in housekeeping and they will bring it right to your room. But your comment helps us to constantly improve our services and I will definitely evaluate to install these at least in a part of our rooms by next year. Thank you for yoru input.

Kind regards
Elisabeth Perwanger General Manager

Reviewed 18 May 2012

I recently enjoyed a 5 night stay at Hotel Steigenberger in Wein. Overall this hotel is a very good value (note: i was there as part of business conference so I may have had "group" rate).

In any event the hotel's location is outstanding. The rooms were simply but well appointed, comfortable and very clean. Service was also very good.

The only criticism I have is the fitness center is small and lacking of some basis equiptment i would expect of a hotel of this level.

With that i would not hesitiate to recommend the hotel steigenberger for both business and vacation stays.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business