“A decent hotel of 3 stars”

Senator Hotel Vienna
Ranked #182 of 358 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Me and my wife had a Vienna trip this December making it our honeymoon escape for Christmas and NYE. We had 11 nights at this hotel and I will try and to give pros and cons about our entire stay as accurate as possible:

Lets start with the pros:
- Friendly and helpful staff at the reception
- Quiet rooms and comfortable beds
- Responsive staff
- Lidl next to it - buy from them, is way cheaper than anywhere else in Vienna, cheaper even than Billa
- Close to major tram lines for easy visits to the center of Vienna - 43 (Schottentor), 9 and from a few streets uphill you get a bus directly to Schönbrunn Palace / Zoo
- Air Conditioner that worked ok

Cons:
- We, and the tourism agency we booked with in advance asked for a nice room, more special for our honeymoon trip, ideally on higher floors with a nice view - they gave us an ordinary room at first floor, with the view in the back - a greenish patch of grass and other windows
- The double beds had 2 mattresses joint together, and that is pretty uncomfortable for a couple to sleep together
- Payable internet connection sucks every time, and for 3E/h is not that cheap either
- Not so friendly staff at the breakfast - restaurant
- Not so hygienic, since we found hair on the sheets and on the towels the first day - asked to change the towels, but still, first impression counts
- Full of dust, even after a cleaning

I wanted to give a four star, but as I said, the first impression means a lot and our first view of the room was "ok, we got fooled with this room, there is nothing special, dirty walls, dust and one window with no view at all, and we have to stay in here for 11 days!" I think this hotel is good for solo or with friends who like to spend most of the time in the city and just sleeping at the hotel. Otherwise, its not a very good idea.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back 133 / 131 / 129 are quieter but with no view at all
1  Thank Bogdan V

Reviewed 29 December 2011

This hotel has everything you would expect so it definitely deserves the 3 stars: it is very clean, modern, quiet and well located: the tram line - 43, which takes you to the center- Schotentor is just outside and there are various supermarkets (Billa plus Lidl just just next to the hotel); it takes about 1 hour from the airport (2 trains and the tram 43 would be the best choice as it is much cheaper than taking a taxi).
The room was warm and of a decent size for a double one (although the bed was not a double bed but rather 2 mattresses joint together), the temperature was easy to adjust and very important for summer visits- it has air conditioner.
The staff is helpful and friendly.
The only downside would be the wireless internet part: you only have free access at the reception where there are 2 computers and a printer, otherwise you have to pay 3 EUR/h and it is rather slow.
I would definitely recommend this hotel as it is good value for money but I wouldn't necessarily recommend visiting Vienna, at least not more than once in a lifetime, especially if you come from UK as it is very expensive, prices are unreasonably high for shopping and dining, the attractions are not properly marked, or not marked at all and if you don't have a guide or proper knowledge you cannot rely on people's directions, as they are very bad and most of them don't speak English! Also the GBP is lower the EUR at their exchange and that's because they add commission so DON'T BUY GBP from them!!!

Reviewed 22 December 2011

I liked the interior of rooms. The staff was very friendly, especially one waiter in the restaurant.
The street is quite and not far from the city centre.
Also from this hotel you can easily get to the Schönbrunn Palace by bus.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I used to believe that a hotel that haw many braches to many cities guarantees its quality. We visited Vienna 13-17 of December and we stayed at the Senator Hotel which looked pretty and warm. Unfortunately when we saw our room we instantly recall our experiences from our accommodations from ibis hotels. The architect and the designer of the rooms I think are the same people with those of Ibis. Small rooms with the average amenities and that’s why is one of the most affordable hotels in Vienna. In addition the location of the hotel isn’t the ideal and we had to take the local public transportation for a lot of stops.I have to admit that the personnel of the hotel was very friendly and ready to answer at our questions. Breakfast had an average quality and quantity and those who get up late should harry up because the room get full by the groups.
For those who haven’t enough money, hotel “Senator” is a good option but those who want to live the experience of Vienna without searching the absolute cheapest price please try harder. Senator is more average than the average.

1  Thank papagou
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We had a long weekend in Vienna (3-6.12) and wanted a nice hotel. Based on previous reviews we asked for a room facing "garden". Room was smallish but well functioning, especially bathroom. I would hope a chair instead of a stool and a couple of hooks by the door to hang your jacket.

I just loved the breakfast, although it was quite crowded. Hotel doesn't have a restaurant. If you want to eat something small, go to the Hühnerparadies (chicken paradise).

Receptionists were friendly and willing to help. The only mistake was that BBC news are in channel 22, not CNN in channel 30 :)

If coming from airport, take airport bus to Westbanhof and then tram 9. Trams are clean and get quickly to the hotel. To city center there was a tram 43 which operated ca. every 5 minutes. So, excellent choice if you don't want restaurant in hotel or a lot of activities nearby.

Room Tip: Rooms facing "garden" were quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Nice hotel with friendly staff. Not so big rooms, no chairs, buy clean and quiet. Beds are excellent. Breakfast were perfect! Located near the busstop. Only remark was the high temperaturekm the room and no possibility to open the window or tot adjust the climatecontrol. We stayed for 4 nights and would defently go back there

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Although you are in the city, the hotel itself is rather quiet.

In the breakfast room, without asking the staff put a coffee on my table.
Nice, but I am alergic for coffee.
But they have tea too !

Internet access is a little uneasy, one has to buy a voucher for access.
The beds are a little to soft for me, but that is personal preference.

With the tram one can easy travel to the city centre.
Be aware the ticket machine only takes coins !

One remark, the fire alarm at 05:30 at the 1st of December 2011 was not the wake up call I expected. ;-)
As a guy with family in the firedepartment I am always prepared.
Feeling with the back of my hand first the door itself and than the door handle.
Cold, so opening carefully the door. No smoke in the hallway.
So closed the door, took my fleece, my jacket, jeans, passport, shoes and keycard. Dressed myself, left my room, closed the door and walked down the emercency stairs.
Outside I needed a quick look where to walk to, but I was the second outside at the front of the hotel.
Strange that some people still came walking out after more than 20 minutes of irritating fire alarm noise.

The hotel itself can not be blamed for this early morning wake up, but it's more a reminder for other guests:
Always check where the emergency exits are.
Be prepared for evacuation.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business