“Good inexpensive choice for Vienna”

Senator Hotel Vienna
Ranked #183 of 358 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This Hotel is some way outside central Vienna however it is a two minute walk to the 43 tram. This wisks you to the Vienna ring at Schottentor. You can change trams here or join the Underground. It is also at one side of the city so you can walk in one direction through the city and find your way back with ease. The area of the Hotel is working class by the look and it has limited outlets for entertainment. However the City in general feels very safe, and to be honest I like to get about so eating and drinking in the area of my hotels is not going to happen. The hotel has many groups, but copes very well. It is up to date inside and has a small bar to the side of reception staffed by reception. The staff are very helpful and polite and speak good English, special thanks to Nadine for her help. The rooms are modern and the Hotel is kept exceptionally clean. There is free wi-fi which works well. The breakfast was a bit of a riot with all the groups but we got settled eventually. The food at breakfast is not of the top quality but you can manage to find something to keep you going till lunch. I would have no hesitation in staying here on any future visit.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 August 2014

The hotel is quite affordable, so we did not expect much but were let down a little bit by the location - really difficult to reach if you are coming to the main railway station. We had to change trams during rain, did not get good guidance from hotel staff and took more than 1.30 hour to reach.
The room blanket was smelling when we arrived - probably because of humidity. The AC hardly worked. Wi-fi did not work in the room, kept disconnecting.
The only good point is that there is a tram station nearby and you can reach westbahnhof and university stop with that tram.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here for three nights with my mum as I'd read generally favourable reviews about it on Tripadvisor

The hotel:

The hotel itself is a bit far from the city centre but is directly connected by one tram that takes about ~15 minutes. Its location is in a bit of dodgy area if I'm completely honest and there's not much choice around in terms of food apart from a Lidl which was right next door (closes at 8pm-ish) and random takeaways a few blocks away. The hotel's 'restaurant' doesn't serve food at night so keep that in mind if you're going to be peckish in the evening (I recommend picking up something from the city centre).

The room itself was nice and spacious, no complaints about the amenities and the beds were nice and comfortable. Two complaints were that the room's temperature control wasn't really working and they didn't change the sheets at all throughout our stay (but this might just be company policy and it wasn't a massive issue).

Now for the staff:

First incident was the front desk lady that we encountered when we checked in; I had to greet her first before she even deemed us worthy of acknowledgement. Already a bad first impression, made worse by the fact that not a smile could be wrenched out of that woman which made it a generally unpleasant experience. It also says on their hotel guidebook in the room that we could purchase 24 hour public transport tickets from the front desk but instead we got told we had to buy it from outside, with no indication as to where apart from 'at the next stop when you take the tram'.

Second incident: it had rained quite badly on the first day; we didn't bring our umbrellas but we could borrow some from the hotel as long as we paid a 10 euro deposit. I only had 20's in my purse which I gave to the man on the front desk; I was a bit distracted as we were running a bit late because our shuttle bus was picking us up for a guided tour. He hands me the umbrella and I ask where my change is (since I gave him a 20). He says he's given it to me already. I check my purse once, twice, three times and as I've mentioned, I only have 20's so if he'd given me my change there would be a 10 euro note there. I say no he hasn't and he looks at me innocently and repeats that he's given me my change. I was about to let the blatant theft go since we were already late as it was but my mum insisted that I stay and collect my change.

Eventually with some half-assed fiddling and typing on his computer he hands me my 10 euros. And he had the nerve to write on our deposit envelope (when we handed the umbrellas back) that he'd given me 10 euros extra. I was obviously in a rush and he was obviously hoping I would just let it go (and I was prepared to); needless to say it left a very sour taste in my mouth.

Third incident: it was our last day and I specifically remembered that checkout was at 11am. I get two loud and obnoxious knocks on the door at 8:30 in the morning while I was still deeply asleep, no waiting for a reply before someone just barges in. I assume it was housekeeping and the minute they saw me on the bed they left immediately and slammed the door. Better than any alarm clock I suppose.

And last and definitely the icing on the cake, as we were checking out I asked to speak to the manager as I wanted to voice these complaints to him/her. I was told that the manager wasn't there. We asked when he was going to be available.

"He doesn't work weekends"

I work in the hotel industry and I know for a fact that weekends in hotels are always the busiest time. No manager during weekends? Is this a hotel or a bank? Just laughable.

Such a shame because the hotel itself was good enough considering the price, but I doubt I'd stay again and I don't particularly recommend it to anyone either.

4  Thank arestria
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The hotel itself was clean and well laid out and the staff were generally pleasant. We had a nice room looking out onto a side street. We were visiting as part of an escorted tour and had one group dinner in the restaurant which was rather disappointing. Also the hotel was in a bit of a run down area of town, although very close to a tram stop with access to the metro station on the Ringstrasse.
If I was visiting Vienna again I would probably look for something more central, but I would not rule this hotel out.

3  Thank Waltonian
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed as part of a Trafalgar Tour which was wonderful
Hotel was modern and very nice
A grocery shop next door where we bought wine and toasted Vienna
Close to transport but very quiet
No complaints with this hotel

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank helenford
Reviewed 24 July 2014

we stayed here for two nights on arrival ( 11th july 14 to 13th july ). inspite of early check in request ( as our flight arrived at 6 am) they didn't provided us room. so we decided to walk around the city. everyday they asked us whether breakfast is included or not even when we had prebooked and paid them from India.( it was quiet embarrassing when they gave us a bill for breakfast for 2 days) . Anyways we had 1 night more stay there on 19th of july , again same thing at check in , whether breakfast is included or not??? On the top of it air condition of room was not working. When I called the reception they said that they cant help us as it was Saturday and technician will come on Monday. I went to reception and after lots of efforts( and irritation) they changed our room finally at 10 pm ( note that we had to catch a flight in morning). Heights was when we were barred to enter the breakfast room , very rudely, as the gentleman said "sorry I have no information and your breakfast is not included"..... worse experience of our whole trip... wonder who gave them 4 stars

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gupta3005
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The hotel was clean, convenient and the staff was extremely helpful. The lobby was nice and I made lots of new friends. It was definitely worth the value and the Wifi was great. I certainly give this place a thumbs up. And I think people in Vienna were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo