“Horrible service”

A&O Wien Stadthalle
Ranked #92 of 222 Speciality Lodging in Vienna
Reviewed 10 July 2014

During high season , they can only afford one person in reception.
Always a 10 minutes wait. There was no water for one day, they didn't bother telling us!!! They couldn't find my online booking. Horrible

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Catspr

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a three night stay at this hostel in Vienna. My first school trip and first ever time in a hostel... I cannot speak highly enough of this place.
Ok, so I'll review it as an answer session of all the concerns I had.
CLEANLINESS, this hostel is immaculately clean. The rooms, bathrooms and social areas all are very clean. The bedding is crisp. Towels fresh smelling, ok, not fluffy white Hilton style but you need to be realistic if you are paying €9.
NOISE AT NIGHT, You will not be kept awake by youngsters having late night music parties. They actually have a guy patrolling, two of my groups were asked to be quiet and this was purely because they were talking in a room of 6 instead of whispering. This is a huge plus point for this hostel.
FOOD, we paid for breakfast and it was good and plentiful. Cereal, fruit, cheese meats bread toast salad coffee and juices all taken in a pleasant enough canteen type room. We ordered the packed lunch on two occasions and for €5, if you are on a school trip and not sure where you'll be when they get hungery, a great buy. Two rolls, cheese salad, salami salad, piece of fruit, a Capri juice and a bar of choc.
LOCATION, a few steps from the underground so amazingly easy to navigate the city. You can purchase the 72 hour pass at the station by machine using card payment. Just valid it once and you probably won't need to take it out of your pocket again for the duration. There doesn't appear to be any ticket checks and the transport is seamless! Avoid rush hours and watch your bags as with any capital city.
And... What we weren't expecting... The most attentive staff I have ever encountered! From the guys in the breakfast room to the amazingly wonderful reception staff...They cannot do enough for you. From phoning to check your transport arrangements to providing maps and directions and giving advice. Helpfulness personified. And it's free coffee and juice for staff in the lobby area. There are comfy sofas and chairs, TV, fuze ball table and pool.
SHOPS, just down the street about fifty paces on the same side of the road toward the tube is an amazing bakery. Selling pizza slices, Venetian style, kebabs pastries cakes savouries and bottles of water and cans of juice all at extremely reasonable prices.
Freshly cooked too! Very handy for those budget conscious students! Also just a bit further down is a shopping centre with lots of fast food outlets including a Chinese buffet. We walked a bit further, down a side street and found an amazing local restaurant where we ate the traditional fare. So all tastes catered for very close to the hostel.

There is no more to say, I'd book now and count yourself lucky you came across this little gem! If you are a group book direct with them for great discounts.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank jansjournal
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The hotel/hostel is good. It’s cheap and its clean. We stayed at a double room. It was clean and had basic things. It was a bit small but that was not a problem since we were in the room only in the evening. The bathroom is small, but clean and has everything you need. The thing that bothered me was that as other people have said there is really hot in the room, and we were here in April, can't imagine how it’s like in the summer. And as other people have said you can hear the noise from the street, but I’m not a light sleeper so that wasn’t a problem for me. When we were there, the wifi in the rooms didn’t work, so that was bad. the breakfast is great, with a lot of choices. The subway is 3 minutes walk, so really close, and only five stops to centre, that like 5-10 minutes. There is also a cinema and shopping centre close.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 2302anjaL
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Yes, the rooms and the hotel was cleaned but actually we were on the last floor and there rooms was really packed and there was not enough space for nothing. Too small hotel rooms and they having low ceiling but the breakfast was delicious and good!

Reviewed 20 March 2014

A pleasant overnight stop. I booked a single room which was clean and spacious enough, especially at the price which was very reasonable in comparison to other places in the area.

Good facilities and nice breakfast, all well located close to the station and the city centre. Thanks!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank JamieGW-B
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We spent there two nights with my friends in February 2014 and the only "problem" was that we had to queue for a few minutes for check-in because there was only one young man at the reception desk.
When you book a room on booking.com, you don't get sheets and towels, you have to pay for them, but considering the price for the room for four people, it's really nothing.
The room we had (no 221 I think) was very simple but clean. We had a TV, a hairdryer, there was shower gel in the bathroom and everything worked.
We loved the breakfast "all you can eat", just for 6 euros you get many different things to eat and drink. The coffee was great which is always important to me.
The reception desk is available 24 hours a day, they can even make a cup of tea or coffee at night.
It' s very close to the underground station, just a few minutes from Westbahnhof. I will probably choose the hostel again when I travel to Vienna.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrea S
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Booked this hotel because if Wiener Stadthalle which is 5 mins on foot so very close. I stayed in this hotel/hostel in the past, 2009, in a twin room and it was not bad, very basic but clean. This time I booked a single room and was not happy at all.
Reception very helpful with everything you need, nicely decorated lobby, computer room, tourist info, bar and public areas. These are very friendly and comfortable. But at this point it ended in my case. I was checked in earlier which was good but the room was awful. Smelly, tiny, looked like a basement room with a window to the courtyard but accesible from there if you leave the windiw open! Also an ugly curtain did not fit. And everytime I enterred my room Inhad to deal with unpleasant smell. There were a lof of plugs so this was good.
One half of the room was 1m wide, second half as well if I do not count space for a bed. It had a TV, shampoo, shower gel but no tea and coffee facilities. You can use a safety box at the reception.
The room was very noisy at night due to a constant slamming of main door if entrance. I have to say I was really disappointed although it was cheap.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo