“Authentic Japanese right beside the State Opera House, Vienna”
Review of Tenmaya - CLOSED

Tenmaya
Price range: US$7 - US$14
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We visited Tenmaya on the last evening of a one week long business negotiation marathon with our Japanese visitors and friends. The service was great, food and drinks authentic and of great taste and quality, just like you would expect it from a propper Japanese Restaurant in a multi-cultural town like Vienna.
Although I have to admit, that Japanese is not my faviorite cuisine, I really enjoyed the evening and the typical Japanese hospitality!

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

My 12yr old daughter and i stumbled on this one and it looked fhe best and cleanest out of so many touristy sushi restaurants. Definitely made the best choice. Had lovely Butterfly Fish. Good value. Dont understand some of the critical reviews on this. I know my sushi and this was good in an authentic setting

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Went to a lunch and ordered one of their menu. The food came much much later and the waiter had forgotten my colleague's main dish, too. Fortunately, they didn't forget her appetizer, so it bought them some time.

I have never been to Japan, so I don't know how the authentic Japanese restaurants are, but probably this restaurant is one of the most authentic you can get in Vienna. The food is good actually, but it comes with heavy price tag, so unless you're a hardcore Japanese lover, this would not be your everyday's lunch.

The interior is pretty nice, though it's not the most beautiful. The waiters often forget your requests and the restaurants looked understaffed eventhough it was't overcrowded.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Conveniently located on one of the major shopping streets in downtown Vienna, this wanna-be Japanese restaurant has it all ... to be the perfect tourist trap. Don't get me wrong: The food is OK but not for this price and also I felt cheated by the very authentic outside. When we went inside, it was actually .... not that authentic anymore.

2  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Auguably the best Japanese restaurant in Vienna. Fresh sushi and all, but very expensive. About 70 EUR for two people. Often packed with people(almost always) so you better make a reservation. I go to Tenmaya because this is the only decent sushi place I can find in Vienna but always feel a bit expensive and service is not always up to the standard. Go if you crave good Sushi but not a place where you could just relax and have a long meal.