“Great food, very slow and inattentive service”

Plachutta's Grunspan
Ranked #715 of 4,551 Restaurants in Vienna
Price range: US$18 - US$31
Cuisines: Austrian, Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ottakring
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I went to Grünspan with my aunt and parents today. Here's what we thought:

LOCATION & SURROUNDINGS: 3
nice but not outstanding

ATMOSPHERE: 3
nice beer garden in the summer, nice - but not "classy" - inside.

FOOD: 4
Since we were there rather early (11am), there was only a limited menu available which was okay - the Gulasch was excellent.

SERVICE: 2
It took the waiter ages to serve our drinks, come back for orders, serve our food, collect the empty plates, and finally come with the bill.

VALUE FOR MONEY: 3
Average. The food is good but it's definitely not one of my favourites in Vienna.

WILL I GO THERE AGAIN?
If I have time on my hands (=don't get stressed out about waiting) and have an appointment in that area, I'll go there again.

2  Thank Chrissie M

Reviewed 4 January 2013

We had a wonderful New Year's eve dinner with cuople of friends.
The service,the dishes and the atmosphere were the best,we all enjoed our evening and had a splendid time!!

Reviewed 8 July 2012

I think we see comments in a lot of Vienna restaurant reviews about Austrian service and the slow and somewhat stuffy waiters. On a Friday night in late June we got a front row view at Plachutta's Greenspan. Not stuffy in this case but extremely slow and disorganized. Despite this, I have to say the excellent food and happy "beer garden" atmosphere made this a fun three hours. Your results may vary on the service, maybe it was juts a bad night. I bet the food is always great and the atmosphere always fun.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

The restaurant's name has absolutely nothing to do with the former president of the Federal Reserve Bank, Alan Greenspan, but is one of the enterprises of the famous Plachutta-family.
Although somewhat suburbian (but easy to reach) Grunspan is more a beer-tavern than a normal restaurant, better a mega-pub, where people can even sit in a gorgeous garden under 100-year old chestnut trees and have their very special Grunspan-beer, tailor-made for Plachutta.
Sitting and feasting in the garden is the restaurant's major advantage, whereas inside-seating suffers somewhat by a rather noisy and hectic athmosphere.The menue concentrates on the major Viennese fare and well-known Plachutta specialities.
To be on the safe side, make a reservation ,especially for a nice table in the wonderful large garden, as Grunspan is very popular with the Viennese.

Reviewed 4 December 2011

well ,food is ok but some mains are to small.
beer some differnent styes and own house beer available.
No underground availble, only bus available.