“Nice beer & food. Staff asking for tips”
Review of Salm Braeu

Salm Braeu
Ranked #48 of 4,267 Restaurants in Vienna
Price range: US$9 - US$29
Cuisines: Austrian, Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome in the amazing world of on the premises brewed delicious beers, brewed according old receipies,the love for homestyle cuisine and on the premises destilled brands, made from our beers.Welcome at the most historical site with an 450 years history. Welcome at Salm Braeu of the Welledits-Family.Since June 2013 Salm Bräu is 100% smoke free indoors !
“Nice beer & food. Staff asking for tips”
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

The food and beer are very good in this restaurant what I did not liked was the employee asking for tip in the end. I hate when staff asks for tip.

2 Thank Binarysir

• Turkish first
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Eine Stelze bitte”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

A great restaurant with traditional austrian meat dishes.

I've been here for the second time and it is still as good as it was. They offer quite a broad variety of meat dishes from traditional wiener schnitzel, spare ribs, stelze and much more. They also brew their own beers which are good and go well with the food.

I have started with the pumpkin cream soup for starter. It comes with a bit of sour cream and pumpkin oil and was really good. My main course was stelze - pork knuckle. It is served for two and it done really well. The skin was crispy and well prepared. The only minus for was that it was a bit too salty. I had green salad as a side dish which was nothing special but good.

I had Wizer - a wheat beer and radler for drink which fitted great with my meal. My friends also had stelze and one had spare ribs which were great as well. The portions are big and you better come hungry.

The kitchen closes at 11pm and you can only get drinks afterwards. I recommend that you make reservation since the place is crowded all the time. The atmosphere is great with waiters and waitresses dressed in traditional austrian outfits and with great humor.

• Visited August 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Good food, friendly staff”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Our tour guide recommended this to our group. Sometimes we wonder if they get some kind of kick-back for the recommendation, but since the place was very close to our hotel and we were hungry, we decided to give it a try. Very pleased that we did. Friendly staff, quick service, generous portions. Good, traditional food. We ate in the outdoor courtyard, which had huge umbrellas up to protect from the sun. So many people from so many places were there. We sat next to a couple from Spain. I asked to take pictures of the place and was given enthusiastic permission. When we were paying our bill, we had an extended conversation with the waiter and found him to not only be very friendly but very funny as well. It was a very nice eating experience!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank pitufo00
London, United Kingdom
“Great food and beer”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I ate here with my girlfriend and two friends. It was our first night in Vienna, and after a long train journey, we were in the mood for something quite substantial to eat - preferably traditional Viennese food - in a casual setting, with good beer.

We chose this place on the strength of the Trip Advisor reviews, and it turned out to be exactly what we were looking for.

We were disappointed to find the outdoor seating area fully occupied upon our arrival, although we would later be grateful for our indoor table when a thunderstorm struck. The atmosphere inside was busy and lively, and the only complaint I could have is that it got a bit too hot.

I was impressed with the service here (and indeed, in Vienna generally) - I don't think I've ever received a beer to my table so quickly after ordering it. There always seemed to be someone available when required, yet they were not overbearing.

They brew their own beer here, and they had five different home-brewed beers on offer. I had been hoping to sample all five, but by the time we had finished our meal, I had only made it through three. Maybe best not to order the large beers if you want to try them all. The three that I did try were all exceptionally good, and I'm already sad thinking about the vastly inferior beers awaiting me back home in most London pubs.

Last, but not least, the food. We were all hungry, so this was always going to be a "meat followed by more meat" type of meal, of which the menu was thankfully very accommodating. They might have had some lighter options available, but if they did, I didn't see anybody in the restaurant ordering them.

I had smoked venison with garlic bread as my starter. The garlic bread was garlic bread. The smoked venison tasted quite similar to Bresaola - the Italian cured beef. While the flavour of the meat was possibly a little on the delicate side to be properly complemented by the strong garlic flavour of the accompanying bread, I still thoroughly enjoyed my starter.

The others all had some kind of sausage, which was served with a bread roll and mustard. This was very tasty also - I'm not usually a fan of mustard, but this was a little more mild than we're used to in the UK, and it went nicely with the sausage.

Onto the main course, and more meat. I had initially intended to order the Wienerschnitzel, but decided on the ribs because the sides which came with them seemed more appealing (potato wedges with three different sauces, versus boiled potatoes and cranberries). There's not much to say about the ribs other than that they were very good ribs - if you like ribs, you will like these. The portion was very large - I did finish them, but struggled through the last few when I was pretty much already full. My girlfriend could not finish hers. The sauces which came with the ribs and wedges were what took this meal to the next level for me - one of them was a fairly boring ketchup/mayo mix ('cocktail sauce' they called it), but the other two were very enjoyable - a garlic mayo, and a spicy sauce. The side salad even contained a whole hot pepper if you wanted to spice things up further (I ate it whole not realising how hot it would be, but with such delicious beer to put out the fire, this maybe wasn't such a bad idea).

The other two in our group ordered food which seemed a bit more traditional - both featured plenty of meat (I can't remember specifics), but the sides were 'beer cabbage' and some kind of large bread dumpling, the latter being the only thing on our table which nobody really seemed to enjoy.

Overall, it's an easy decision to give a five star rating, and I'll definitely be back next time I'm in Vienna.

Visited August 2014
Shanghai
“Tasty food, big portion and fast service ”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My parents and I came for lunch on a weekend. We immediately were seated though inside. Outside is nicer but already full. There are quite a few Asian tourists!

The portions were very big. Ribs tasted really good! Also food was served very fast. Service was so so but the waitress was asking me for tips and the first amount I suggested she thought was too low... This I didn't really appreciate. Everything else was great!