“Cozy place, comfort food”

Hinterholz Bar-Restaurant
Ranked #409 of 4,417 Restaurants in Vienna
Price range: US$5 - US$41
Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old University Quarter
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Lovely place, with cozy atmosphere and nice music. Service was nice and helpful. We had the best "old Vienna potato soup", a descent Tafelspitz, great roasted potatoes, all in large portions for a pretty reasonable price. We were lucky to find this place after lots of walking in the city center. We really enjoyed our food and beer. Expect to pay an extra tip with the bill (common thing in Austria)! Highly recommended!

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

The food is priced at a reasonable level for the area. However to my taste the meat Pallatschinken, I ate, was too salty for my taste. The service was alright, but nothing to write home about.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We have been in Vienna for 7 days now and apart from an average Vienna Schnitzel and Vienna Sausages for lunch have not had a decent Austrian meal - until tonight. We were wandering around the Schwedenplatz U station and randomly came across Hinterholz down a long passage. The restaurant was dark but lively and there was an English menu at the front - all looked good and we were taken to a small non smoking booth and asked if we'd like a drink. Beer and wines were recommended by the very friendly staff and were good. I had French Onion soup to start, not Austrian I know but really delicious. Then I had Tafelspitz (boiled beef) with potatoes and vegetables and horse radish and spinach - the latter two could be ladled on separately. Absolutely delicious. My wife had braised steak and roast potato (sorry can't recall the dish's name)- also delicious as I helped her to finish it - both large portions! Festive atmosphere with separated smoking and non smoking areas. Music alternated between "Austrian" and old rock, e.g. Rod Stewart. The only thing that was a bit "funny" was that there was a hand written entry added on the bill. When I asked what that was for I was told it was a tip! Perhaps people with an accent like mine don't tip unless it is specifically hand written on the bill? I was happy to include the tip and a little more on top of it as the restaurant had great food, great staff and felt "authentic", I'd certainly return.

2  Thank Brendon A
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

We needed an easy meal at the end of a long day. This place fit the bill. Casual dining. Good basic cuisine. Nothing fancy but generous portions of comfort food. The service was particularly good with a friendly waiter who seemed to take a personal interest in ensuring that we had a good experience.

1  Thank Leslie W
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Tipical German pub, kind waiters and great food for a simple and cheap dinner in Wien. The steak with fried egg was so special!