“Good value bad service”
Review of Adagio Vienna City

Adagio Vienna City
Ranked #109 of 360 Hotels in Vienna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
South Pacific
Reviewed 9 December 2013

A nice apartment hotel close to the Messe, only a few minutes taxi ride. Modern decoration, clean and with a reasonable service. Breakfast was probably a little overpriced for the variety and quantity of items offered, but still the staff was helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Filomena G
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We loved the hotel location, 1 tram stop or 3-5mins walk to the metro and the habour to Bratislava; walking distance or trams to almost all the main sightseeing spots; supermarket and pharmacy were just the street across.

The room was great for it's location & price, the kitchen was small but well equipped, modern and clean shower room with a big mirror, plus the provided nice shower gel & shampoo.I enjoyed the sauna a lot even this stay was during some 35-40 degrees weather, a sauna following by work outs in the fitness room in the morning was just wonderful to start the day.

We had some issues with the iron in the room but the staff quickly solved that for us; early shift staff forgot to turn on the power of the sauna one morning, but overall it was quite a pleasant stay during the first 5 nights, the receptionists Christina, Arnor and the tall male staff (sorry forgot his name) were really helpful. Christina helped us to order delivery and specifically made sure it suit our diet, on a night when we were too tired to dine out.

---- All good until the check-out day, I was again in the sauna in the early morning, my company had left the day before so I was alone. All in a sudden, some noise was going on, I wrapped myself up and went to the out-of-service elevator, realised that noise was actually fire alarm! (didnt sound like fire alarm inside the wellness center!) Took the stairs up and made it to the lobby, a staff was standing in the middle of the lobby, looking at me with towels & sleepers -- I looked at her, she looked at me, she did not say a word.

I was actually feared that there was something happened, I asked this furious staff, she failed to explain to me what was going on but instead shrug her shoulders with her frustrated expression and asked me 'what'. How could I possibly expected to get this answer when a fire alarm was ringing? Was there a fire at all? I had to ask her again KINDLY, to PLEASE tell me something, until she FINALLY said to me in an extremely rude way 'take the stairs! elevator wont work!' (still did not tell me there was no fire!).

Well I figured out it was probably a false alarm but seriously? what the staff got trained was to shrug her shoulders in this situation when a hotel guest came into the lobby (in towels), all worrying about life & danger? (did I mention I still did not know what happen at this point?)

I asked if I should worry about my life, is there a fire, do we have to evacuate, she finally told me 'nothing happen! just take the stair and go back to your room!'. OH THANK YOU SO MUCH! I then had to tell her that its her responsibility to tell the hotel guests that this is just a false alarm and do not need to worry, no one is in danger, stuff like that, not shrugging the shoulders. Her colleague from elsewhere arrived and said sorry, someone pressed the button and the firemen were fixing it and told me please take the stairs if needed. I asked if there would be any assistance as I was checking out in an hour, I probably could not carry my big suit case all the way down 6 floors. Nothing, of course. The elevators were fixed upon my check out time so it was fine, I wonder how would it be if I had to carry my 20kg suit case down by myself.

Oh by the way, no apologies from that shrugged-shoulders-lady. She was probably so angry and felt like I was a freak that I was afraid to die in this hotel. Ouch, did i mention that she was speaking German to another 2 hotel guests saying she couldnt understand why this woman (me) was standing there and asking loads of question. Ah, so sorry, I speak German, too.

After this rush, I have forgotten one thing in the room and found out when I was on my way to Budapest. I emailed the reception and got an answer that they could send it back to Switzerland for me, I checked on the Austrain Post website that it should be 9.90€ for a parcel in that size & weight to Switzerland.

Received email replying ''we probably think that it will be between 15 and 20 Euros''. It would have been okay if I was told that is including a service charge. I decided to just pick it up on my next visit to Vienna in 2014, but staying in this hotel or not? Well.

Room Tip: We had river view in a corner room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank NumberThirtyFour
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Our room was quite small and dusty. It was the first time we ever had a murphy bed. Considering we paid 100 euros per night, it was a bit cramped. There was no room to move about and the couch was under the bed (unlike in the pictures shown). Since we stayed for 5 nights there was no cleaning service, including garbage pick up and towel change.

Location was not as convenient as marketed (it was a good 15 mins walk to Stephansdom) but not too terrible.

It was fairly quiet, which was the best part, but could definitely smell food from other rooms, and remnants of cigarettes from other guests. Also, the bed was quite uncomfortable with poor mattress and very uncomfortable pillow.

Mainly the lack of cleaning service really bothered me, and because of this I would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank randomtraveller1234
Paris, France
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The studios are quite large and are well furnished. The hotel is well located, just on the ring (which is the road encircling the historical center if we can say so).

The rooms lack toaster, oven and iron. My bedside table was broken (the plate would go off the structure) and the room was particularly dusty.

It is not a bad place to stay but for more than 100 euros the night, most people would expect a bit more than that.

The personnel is helpful but if you ask where to rent a bike or anything, they will contact their partners and you might not end up with the best deal ever (they proposed a bike rental for 24 euros a day when in fact, you can rent city bike for 1 euro per hour just in front of the hotel).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view on the street and not on the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ZeLegend
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

Location: Quite a good location- about 600m from a metro which can take you straight into the city (which is about a 20 minute walk away anyway). There are a few restaurants and clubs around as well.

Room: Was pretty good- lots of amenities and quite clean. Our room smelled strongly of smoke (so remember to ask for a non smoking room if this will be an issue), and the carpets could do with a clean. We found it odd that a cleaning service was provided every day if you stay for three days, but not at all if you stay for four.
The gym provided is very minimal and old ( not all machines were working properly), but it was good enough for a small workout.

Service: The hotel staff were friendly. I just wouldnt recommend ordering from the food menu provided in the rooms, as we didnt get what we ordered for and the hotel staff and restaurant said there was nothing they could do about it.

If you want to stay here check a few different websites to get the best price (as you may find its cheaper on another site).

• Stayed September 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This was our first trip to Vienna, travelled with husband and daughter, it was she who booked the Adagio after reading some of the reviews. We had a two room 'apartment' with a kitchenette, bathroom, and seperate w.c, extremely useful with more than two sharing. Kitchen was well equipped with hob, microwave, dishwasher,kettle, fridge and coffeemaker, crockery, and cutlery and cooking 'pots'. For stays of more than 3 nights the rooms are not serviced,which we did not find a problem, clean towels are available on request from the reception desk, beds are comfy and clean, and there is ample hanging space and shelving in the wardrobe in the 'bedroom'. There is not much space around the bed, but again this was not too much of a problem. Would agree with a previous reviewer in that the carpets would benefit from a clean or replacement as they were a little stained, but apart from that the rooms were exceptionally clean. Tip: Would suggest ladies take their own hairdryer, as the one supplied is basic and is only suited to drying very short hair, as the handle gets very hot if used for too long and it overheats and cuts out, this was the only issue we had. Reception staff were efficient, friendly and helpful. The hotel is well situated for the Ubahn and tram stop is just outside the hotel, we found getting around Vienna really easy as a result we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family