“Grumpy or not it's worth a visit”
Review of Cafe Braunerhof

Cafe Braunerhof
Ranked #55 of 104 Coffee & Tea in Vienna
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Inner City
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We went late morning and sadly missed breakfast but we had a charming waiter who was helpful and courteous. The food was fine with nothing to complain about. I liked the authenticity of the place and feel as a tourist it may be worth the risk of the grumpy waiter in order to experience an old fashioned and genuine cafe as opposed to the more well known and touristy ones. Even if you get the grumpy waiter that is something to remember and talk about. The cafe was full of locals and they must know something. I think it's definitely worth a visit and I loved the traditional values down to the waiters in bow ties etc.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I see that many others have had a similar experience of this cafe to us. I've been visiting the Cafe Bräunerhof for years, and I love it, because it's a wonderful old Viennese cafe. However the older waiter with the beard really is extraordinarily rude. I've experienced this numerous times because he's been there for years. He is much nicer to locals. There is a younger waiter who is just lovely, so we only go there when ""Grumpy "is absent!

2  Thank angelopoulos
Reviewed 23 November 2013

One of the oldest and most traditional cafés in Vienna, I have visited it quite often in the past. But today, as I wanted to enjoy breakfast there with my mother, I was shocked by the extremely rude behaviour of one of the service staff. The place was nearly empty when we arrived around 10am. Nobody took notice of us so we sat in one of the very nice niches by the window. After some minutes of sitting there we took the liberty of searching for and taking two of the menus. One waiter passed repeatedly close to our table but ignored us completely. Finally, I managed to catch one waiter's eye who then sent his colleague our way. As he came to our table we smiled up at him expectantly and were greeted with the words "Are you in a hurry?". After we pointed out to him that we had been waiting for quite some time he looked at his watch, rolled his eyes and said "What a drama!". He then took our orders with obvious disgust. At which point we stood up, took our jackets and told him to forget our breakfast, we would find better and more friendly service elsewhere. He did not even apologize!
I am a Viennese, born and bred, and I had my fair share of grumpy waiters over the time. It's actually quite a cliché. But this kind of non-service I can really do without. So, as much as I like the atmosphere of the place and the traditional food, which is really quite good, I will not return to Bräunerhof nor recommend it to anybody.

4  Thank Bluemlein
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I loved the atmosphere of this place. I felt like I was transported back in time. The fixtures... everything is dated but to a bygone era. Even the waiters... all dressed up in black, long aprons, bow-ties, etc. Great service, good food. I figured that most of the patrons were not tourists but locals. They all seemed to know each other and the waiters. The solo diners picked up a newspaper from an impressive stack of them and began reading.
Only one drawback... the Mohnkuchen (poppy seed cake) was very dry. They keep their desserts out on a try and it got dry. Pick one of the more popular desserts and I bet it will be fresher.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

We were a group of 5 'ladies of a certain age' visiting and let me tell you, if you smile and are polite the waiter with the glasses and beard is not grumpy at all! Admittedly it wasn't busy. We stumbled across this gem and came away with nothing but recommendations for this beautiful gem of an untouched coffee house. It could be used as a film set for 1950s (or older) Vienna! We all had breakfast and worked out what items meant on the traditional menu by using smart phones translations. We thought we would go again it was so good.