“Beyond my expectations”

Ranked #3 of 205 Speciality Lodging in Vienna
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Beyond my expectations”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed there for 11 nights in July 2014 and based on price I was not sure what to expect as I found the price low compared to location and size of our suite 60fm2. The Hotel staff is very accommodating I had to catch a flight early one morning during my stay and when I asked the night watchman about where to buy coffee he offered to brew me a cup.

My only downside was in regards to the consistency of the cleaning of our room. Some days it was very well done others it was like they ran out of time. In one area they fail is that they do not clean under the beds/couches as I could see quite a heap of dust under the bed and couches when I was playing with my daughter.

We stayed in suite 307 it was nicely decorated and comfortable to stay in the room, good AC and nice size kitchen. I liked that complimentary every day they put water and beer in my fridge. However, just as a note the pans they supply are not very good and I was missing a spatula in my room as well as the knifes had dull edges.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a larger room specially if you stay a number of days. I had room 307 which faced the cou...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Richard R, Assistant Front Office Manager at Derag Livinghotel An der Oper, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear johannes26 ,

thank you for taking the time to write and share your comprehensive review with us.

I am glad to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay at our Apartment 307. Moreover it is nice to hear that our staff was able to assist you at any time.
Saying that I am however upset to read that that there some issues with the consistency of the cleaning. Rest assured that we have taken your comments on board.

It was a pleasure to have been able to look after you and we all hope to welcoming you back in the near future.

With kind regards

Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Amberg, Germany
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The AC and bathroom vent didn't work in our original room. It took us almost a day to convince the staff that we weren't idiots and pressing the wrong buttons. After having our intelligence insulted, we were moved to another room with an AC that worked but the control panel was non functional/locked so we weren't able to change the temp from 21 C. After moving us to the new room, which wasn't nearly as nice in my opinion, we were awoken at 7am by a skull-piercing alarm going off. It turns out that they neglected to turn off the security alarm for our new room and it took almost 10 minutes to get it shut off. After everything was said and done we were offered no discount or accommodation for the terrible stay we endured. In fact, my card was charged about 10 USD more than the amount it originally had reserved for our stay. This may have simply been the currency exchange but it was enough to drive home just how poor this establishment conducts itself. It wants to appear posh and luxurious but fails to deliver on even the basics. Your luck may be better than mine, but I had to add my caveat for people considering this place. On the upside, pleasant staff and great location. I won't be staying here again when I return to Vienna.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank screaminferret
Richard R, Assistant Front Office Manager at Derag Livinghotel An der Oper, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear screaminferret ,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your honest review following your recent stay, although I am sorry to hear that there were some negative instances. In particular I am most disappointed to read that the air conditioning did not work well for which I sincerely apologize.
Regarding the alarm I have to admit that a fire alarm is always a critical thing and that there are laws and security guidelines each hotel has to fulfill such as a alarm. Therefore I can certainly see your Point and I am sorry that it happened but I do hope you understand the situation.
Once again, I am grateful for your honest comment and I would be glad getting another opportunity to welcome you back.

With kind regards
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 15 June 2014

When we booked this hotel it was the cheapest that had air conditioned.
We had a 38c (100f) degrees so air conditioned room was a must.

it was about 20% more expensive that 3 stars hotel but at the budget of a 4 star hotel but way better because you have 50sqm (540 sqft) of space for you and there are bigger rooms ! you get a queen bad (not real queen but 2 singles pushed together) and an open sofa bed so it is good for families.

Location ! just the best! next to the Opera house, 2m from Starbucks and lots of cafe's and there is a hot-dog stand right at the entrance.

Quite - despite what other had wrote, we had no noise with the window closed and the air conditioned on :)

Location + size + air conditioned room was the reason we choose this hotel and the reason we loved it !

Room Tip: If there is construction in the area - just ask to be as far as you can from it
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NisanBZ
Richard R, Assistant Front Office Manager at Derag Livinghotel An der Oper, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear NisanBZ,

thank you for choosing Derag Livinghotel City Apartments Wien and for sharing your positive review with us. I am glad to read that you had a lovely stay at our hotel.
I do agree with you, the location is great - just in the middle of the city centre and close to public transport and most famous points of interest.

I would be glad to welcoming you back soon.

Calgary, alberta
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Meeting our daughter in Vienna this was a terrific location, well appointed apartment with kitchen a private bedroom and another studio room with double bed. Very quiet at night.

A very small elevator but better than the 6th schlep up the stairs.

Recommended

Stayed May 2014
Richard R, Front Office Manager at Derag Livinghotel An der Oper, responded to this review, 8 October 2014
Dear guest,

thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback. Reading you have enjoyed your stay with pleases all of us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Front Office Manager
St. Helena, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Our family stayed for 4 nights at the Derag Living hotel in Vienna. The staff were very helpful and friendly, beds were comfortable, kitchen was convenient, and the place was spotless. There is a well-stocked gourmet grocery steps from the hotel for provisions and an excellent Thai restaurant around the corner. The Opera House is a block away.There is construction going on next to the hotel, but it didn't bother us. Highly recommend and would definitely return.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Richard R, Assistant Front Office Manager at Derag Livinghotel An der Oper, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Derag Livinghotel City Apartments Wien and for sharing your positive review. This is a very charming review for which I thank you very much and we are all glad to read that you and your family had a lovely stay.
Please do come and visit us again soon.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This apartment-style hotel seemed the right fit for us, as we prefer to go to local markets and have flexibility with our meals. Plus, this property is extremely well-located in the heart of Vienna’s centrum in the First District. It appeared to be a good deal, but perhaps it was a situation of “too good to be true.”

That being said, it wasn’t too bad to be true either. You just want to be sure you go into this with the right level of expectation. The marketing photos, as is typical in the hospitality industry, are far beyond the reality, but even as a seasoned traveler, we were a bit taken in by this one. We expected our room to have the boutique-y, perhaps even eclectic feel as portrayed in the photos, but in true life it was just a poor amalgamation of mostly cheap and incongruous design elements (brass vs. satin nickel vs. brushed nickel vs. fake leather vs. parquet vs. 3 different species of fake wood grain vs. orchids in plexiglass vs. rouched sheer curtain vs. geometric deep reds vs. smoked glass vs. heavy textures…..). It had the charm devised by someone with traces of aesthetic vision, but lacking in aesthetic sensibilities.

Add to that, our particular room (a Superior on the 5th floor), in spite of having very adequate volume, felt claustrophobic, in part because of the interior design, but also because we were overlooking the small interior courtyard. Anyway, we were glad to spend our time in the city and in the very nice weather that we were having. You might inquire whether there is a room you can choose overlooking the streets. However, at the front side of the building you are right up against another building, and at the time we stayed there was major construction going on to build another hotel from the adjacent building, and I suspect it will be going on for some time. Fortunately, we did not feel particularly disturbed by the construction since they were finished with a lot of the demolition, and were just moving material about via the crane.

We truly appreciated the arrangement of spaces and the amenities and equipment provided. There is a good-sized SPAR grocery store a couple of large city blocks away (at the Museum Quartier), and the Naschmarkt is even closer, so we were able to take good advantage of the kitchenette. We did not expect daily housekeeping (5-night stay), but they checked on us everyday, being very polite and enthusiastic. However, one day they came by and I’m not convinced they actually exchanged the towels we had put on the floor, hanging them back up instead. Let’s assume I’m incorrect. What cannot be denied, however, is that the shower had unsettling black mold. It was in the areas that cannot be easily reached without climbing into the tub, but that does not justify its presence. In general, the apartment feels clean enough if you don’t obsess about things like smears on the kitchen table and a bit of food particles on chairs. Also, the complimentary toiletries had not been replaced – the shampoo bottle was nearly empty, and the shower gel had already been opened. There was just not such a high and detailed standard, but it is not a 5-star venue.

Of course, you can recognize this upon walking into the lobby. The reception area is nice enough, matching the quality of the apartment, and the staff was very pleasant. But the lobby, accessed by key from an exterior door or through the reception area, is a cold, scary shocker. You easily imagine that the previous occupants had to quickly abandon the building, to escape an invasion or something, leaving it abandoned for a number of years, until the current tenants just “squatted” into this property, replacing a few bulbs in the obsolete light fixture and filling in with a lift and modern systems tacked in here and there within and around the once grand building. I tried to convince myself that there was a certain eclectic, artistic, industrial charm to the entry space, but it really just falls a bit short in the same way that the apartment does.

Overall, a very pragmatic and economical way to stay in this part of Wien, but I would advise not to expect more than that.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank MLeopards
Queensland
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Excellent location. 2 minute walk to Opera House and Karlsplatz. Tram also close as was underground. 5minute walk to museums and Hofburg Place. Lift a little small. Well set out , comfortable apartment with modern decor and very quiet due to double glazed windows. LOVED the bathroom and shower. 24 hour reception and staff were helpful and polite. Coin pay laundry on ground floor. There are 6 steps to elevator so maybe not wheelchair accessible. In process of converting more of the building to apartments and this already good hotel can only get better.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Richard R, Assistant Front Office Manager at Derag Livinghotel An der Oper, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear guest,

thank you so much for taking the time to write and share your positive experience with us. I highly appreciate your thoughtfulness in writing and I am pleased to read that you have had a lovely time.
I will definitely share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks.
We would be glad to welcoming you back soon in the very near future.