“Bespoke Hotel, Amazing Stuff”

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom
Ranked #30 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We were planning to visit Vienna for the new year's and I had decided to propose to my girlfriend at the very night of New Year's Eve. After some research on the web, I came across the Le Loft restaurant as one of the best places to be that night. After seeing the restaurant and the website, I gave a call to the hotel to discuss on what could be done to make that night unique. Mr. Zsolt really did his best to explain to me what was possible and what not (and I really really made his life difficult with my requests!). Eventually he informed that there was going to be live band at the Le Loft and if I wanted he could ask if they were willing to play a song while I was proposing to my girlfriend.

I instantly said yes, picked one of our favorite songs and the next day, Zsolt had talked with the Band, they accepted and only the small details were left to discuss with the hotel manager - Mr. Lange when we 'd arrive at the hotel.

A couple of weeks later we arrived at the hotel, a really friendly member of the stuff took our car to park it, the receptionist greeted us and quickly carried out the check-in. He did one slight mistake that made my girlfriend suspicious; before we left for the room he told me, the hotel manager wishes to have a talk with you tomorrow!

Anyway, we headed to the elevators to discover that we were given a room on the 17th floor, we opened the door and we were literally stunned by the marvelous views of the floor-to-ceiling windows! The dome, the river, and an amazing skyline were enough for us to look at each other and wonder how this could be so amazing! We have stayed in much more expensive hotels but this one definitely beats them all. The room was not extremely spacious, but spacious enough and every little thing was really nice. The room had an overall luxurious, clean and absolutely modern feeling that makes you feel okay, it's really worth it. (we had chosen one of the all-gray rooms).

Next morning I had a quick talk with Mr. Lange - an extremely helpful and willing person, we arranged what time the song would be played, I asked to give him the camera to shoot the proposal and he instantly accepted. More or less, in 10 minutes we had arranged everything and I left knowing that the stuff was really willing to make that special-to-us night really unique.

On new year's eve evening, only hours before that special moment I went upstairs to the Le Loft to meet again with Mr. Lange to see our table and finalize the small details. I handed over to him the camera and he told me that he would personally film the proposal and asked some questions like who you 'd like to film the most? do you want to focus on her or both of you? -Almost like a professional photographer! Then I met the band, extremely helpful and willing as well, we decided which song to play before so I could prepare and I left for the room to dress up. A couple of hours later, we entered the Le Loft with thousands of fireworks popping over the skyline at 360 degrees, only to discover that Mr. Lange had arranged an even better table location for us than the one we agreed before!

The dinner was perfect, the selection of 7 different wines was incredible and the stuff great. As time was approaching and my heart was beating so hard that it felt like it would explode, a marvelous, smooth and jazzy remix of "I wanna marry you" by Bruno Mars started to sound over the speakers, I proposed to her, she said yes and the whole place burst into applause - every person that was eating, every member of the stuff, everybody congratulated us. Moments later, Mr. Lange showed up with the camera in his hands, congratulated us and made his wished in a really personal level - like we have been friends for years.

To sum up, this hotel is really beautiful, definitely worth its money and every member of the staff really assisted in making that night unique and memorable for us.

I want to thank you all, and as we said can't wait for a anniversary visit next Christmas!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room. The views are unique and definitely worth the price.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vida_1307
William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback,
We are all very happy to read that you had a unforgettable experience in our “Living Artwork”!
It is always a pleasure for us, to organize and create special moments, especially on New Year’s Eve in our Le LOFT restaurant.
I will forward your kind words to all Ambassadors and especially to Mr. Lange and Zsolt, as this is the best motivation for them.
I hope that you enjoyed the rest of your unforgettable trip to Vienna and I really look forward to meet you again for your first anniversary in our hotel.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

Sofitel Vienna came through in a way I could never have imagined! A month ago, my fiancee and I were in Vienna to attend a black tie ball at the Hofburg. As we were getting ready Saturday evening at around 7pm, I discovered that although I packed my dinner suit, I forgot to pack a shirt! And at 7pm on a Saturday in Vienna, the shops are all closed! What to do? We were staying at another Accor property in town and I am an Accor Platinum member. So I called Sofitel and explained my dilemma to the hotel operator. A few minutes later, Oliver from Sofitel called me on my mobile and said "This is not a problem sir, I am sure we can sort you out. Just come by the hotel." So, my fiancee dressed in her ball gown, and I in my dinner suit (with a black t-shirt!) arrived at Sofitel and Oliver took me to the staff laundry room where the Sofitel's employees get their uniforms cleaned. We tried on several shirts, and found one that fit perfectly. That was enough for me, but no, Oliver insisted on having housekeeping press the shirt. So we went up to the AMAZING lounge on the top floor of the hotel and had a drink overlooking the beautiful Vienna skyline. In a few minutes, Oliver arrived, with a pressed and perfumed white shirt, suitable for a ball at the imperial palace!

Thanks Sofitel. You were amazing! You came up with a creative solution to a crazy problem, and you did it with humour and grace and charm. I will definitely stay at Sofitel next time in Vienna. It was gorgeous and top notch in every way.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JOV66

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comment on TripAdvisor.
I am glad to read that our Ambassadors were helpful and that you were able to enjoy your evening at the Hofburg.
I will forward your kind words to all our Ambassadors and especially to Oliver, as this is the best motivation.
I am pleased to read that you will visit our “Living Artwork” upon your next stay.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 March 2013

The rooms are really too stark and the breakfast was really disappointing. Not fresh at all. The hotel's decor is dated and you never feel like relaxing. The views were incredible. Definitely worth an upgrade from the white room to the grey room. It's a nice touch that they give you complimentary fruit juices, water and Nespresso coffee. The location is good. Overall, I would probably not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cookiedo123
William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor.
I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy the sleek and modern architecture by the star architect Jean Nouvel.
I have forwarded your comment about the breakfast to our chef, who will take action about your experience in our Le Loft restaurant.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the magnificient views as well as the free in room amenities.
I do hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stayed here in February 2013 when we were attending one of the balls. The hotel is very minmalist (which is more to my taste than my husband's) and the rooms are as though you are in a space ship! Having said that, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom good - separate shower and a nice big bath (I like having baths!). And the views of Vienna were good.

The hotel is well located - right next to District 1 - and very close to the start of the circular tram tour (which takes about 30 mins but is a must for any tourist - if you don't take it, you won't see how beautiful Vienna is).

So plus points:

1) Location - ok, it is not in District 1 but you are so close, that you could almost be in District 1. You are well positioned for the trams and the underground and you are about a 10 minute walk from St Stephens Location.

2) Very modern - you had Nespresso machines in the room which was a nice touch.

3) Gym - nice gym although there are only 2 treadmills. Thankfully no one was in the gym when we were using it. The equipment is very up to date - although one of the treadmills wasn't working properly.

4) The top floor bar - nice bar (although don't order the chicken satay - 3 very small pieces of chicken for about EUR 13 - a rip off! In fact, the bar menu (for food) was very disappointing).

5) We had some problems (see below) but the hotel manager was very sympathetic and sorted them out and then gave us a free bottle of champagne which was a nice touch and very unexpected. In all, the staff were lovely - and very helpful. THey even managed to sort out a hairdresser for me to come to my room!

Negatives

1) Housekeeping - we had to ask for things to be replenished - like shampoos, conditioners, glasses, mugs

2) Breakfast on top floor. The top floor restaurant/bar has amazing views so we had breakfast there on Sunday. They provided some English newspapers (a nice touch) but then at exactly 11.00am they started collapsing tables, tidying furniture away until my husband and I were isolated. They never once asked us if we would mind moving to the other side of the restaurant where people were still eating.

3) Food generally - breakfast in the restaurant was very disappointing. Hardly any variety, nothing particularly sweet (e.g. banana bread) and the bar food menu was extremely limited. Is it really difficult to put a few more things on the menu?

4) They got our room service wrong TWICE for breakfast - even though on both occasions the person who took the order repeated it. It was very frustrating.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your very detailed comment about your experience in our “Living Artwork”.
We are always very thankful for constructive feedback. I have already forwarded your comments to our Director of Operations and we will make sure to have a detailed look at your concerns.
I do hope to welcome you back soon in our hotel, in order to show you our effort and provide you with a whole magnifique stay.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

As we knew most of the hotels in Vienna already, we were very keen to see the Sofitel Vienna. Unfortunately it turned out to be a big disappointment. They call it “Living in an Artwork”! It’s a very minimalistic experience, which in our opinion is nice to see, but not to stay. The rooms are cold and not inviting at all. You can feel that it is the vision of an individual artist, but the practicality of the room has not been well thought through. Most of the high tech features were not working. Free Wi-Fi was disconnecting all the time, the IPod connection was not working and so on. In addition we had a very bad experience at breakfast. On both days, the buffet was empty, finished by the previous guests. When we asked if it would be re-filled, the answer was “we will re-fill it when we have time”. The excuse was, that they had a group of 60 people in house which had “cleaned” the buffet. Really? On both days? And a hotel with over 180 rooms, cannot handle a group of 60 guests for breakfast? It was just painful to see and the service was unexceptionally rude.

My suggestion is, unless you are a very creative person and you get inspired by something different and unusual, choose another hotel. Especially when you are a business traveller, this hotel would be the wrong place to stay. There are so many good 5 star hotels in Vienna within the same price class, which offer a much better, safer and more reliable product than the Sofitel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank MKLON72
William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback on TripAdvisor.
I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy the architecture of Jean Nouvel and the experience of “Living in an Artwork”.
It is correct that he has a vanguard and minimalistic style, which does not reflect everybody’s taste.
I have immediately informed our technical Manager about the features in your room which were not working correctly.
I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during breakfast. It did not reflect our usual high standard of quality and service, therefore I have contacted our Director of Operations in order to check on the Ambassadors and the situation you explained.
I hope to welcome you back again, to show you how service and quality is practiced at its best in our house.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

My husband was in Vienna for a conference and since price wasn't such an issue we stayed here. We had a superior room which was a modern design and very comfortable. The location is good easy walking to the town centre and close to the U-bahn. Both conceirages I dealt with were extreming helpful and organised restaurant and sightseeing tours for me. If we return will definitely stay at the Sofetel again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
William H, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in our “Living Artwork”.
I will forward your kind words to our Ambassadors and especially to the concierge, as this is the best motivation.
I hope to welcome you soon back with us.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Very nice hotel to stay close to the city centre of Vienna.The room was very comfortable and stylish. Felt like home. Service was very good. Haven't used the facilities and therefore can't say much about them.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your nice comment on TripAdvisor.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and felt like home with us.
I will forward your positive comment about the Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
I hope to welcome you back soon.