Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom
US$163
US$144
Agoda.com
2,231 results
All reviewswhite roomle lofttop floorluxury roomloft restauranthermes toiletriesjean nouvelprestige suiteminimalist designnespresso machinelight switchesmodern hotelferris wheeldanube canalrooftop barcomplimentary wateramazing hotel
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in late October. My partner who is an architect was super excited to be staying in a Jean Nouvel building. The design is thrilling and very modern.

The room was very large with wide windows from which we could view the rooftops of the entire Inner Stadt, including the cathedral and town hall which are lit up brilliantly at night. We loved going to sleep and waking up with the view beside us. The bed was large and comfortable. The open-plan bathroom had both a bathtub and a large shower. The toilet was in a separate, private closet. The air conditioning worked well. The entire room was painted a slick grey - very minimalist and modern. The floor was concrete. Everything is heavily designed and slightly different than you would expect, so you can spend a good hour just trying to figure out which light switches do what, how to close the windows (you have to push/pull various wooden rectangles - some up, some down, some right, some left), how to open the cabinets and drawers, where to find the mini fridge and the safe, etc. It is can be both exciting and annoying when things don't work they way you expect.

I had a few very, very minor complaints about the room. The main one is that the towel racks are over the bathtub rather than next to the shower so that to get a towel after a shower you have to either walk out into the bedroom or lean perilously over the bathtub. I'm sure the architects did this because they didn't want a towel rack on the otherwise clean, minimalist back wall. The chair in the room was quite uncomfortable. There were a few maintenance issues. One light fixture was not working and was never fixed while we were there. The sliding walls that can close off the bathroom were also broken so that they did not fully close.

The bar on the top floor of the hotel is amazing with even better views over Vienna. We went there for drinks on two nights. The ceiling is brightly lit with a colourful collage - which you can clearly see from outside the hotel as well. We didn't eat at the restaurant, but it looked popular.

The staff were helpful. No complaints there.

The location is very convenient, just a quick jaunt across the bridge to the Inner Stadt and to the nearest metro station. The hotel is only one metro station from the CAT train to the airport. You can buy tickets for the CAT train from the hotel reception desk. If I had any complaint about the location, it would be that I might rather have been on the other side of the Inner Stadt, closer to the Hofburg and other museums.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with views over the Inner Stadt.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comment.
I will forward your feedback to all Ambassadors as this is the best motivation for them.
I have immediately contacted our Chief Engineer in order to check on the issues you described.
About the shower is to say that you can slide the window separating the shower and the bathtub in order to reach the towels. I am sorry that no one explained you the usage upon your arrival.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

My wife and mysellf have been in Sofitel Vienna ,last week (for 6 nights).
We checked in at 9:00AM !! and we got a room.
We have been taked to our room (10 th floor)
When we opened the room door open ,we just made a big :Whowwwww"
What can I say about this hotel that has not been said: Starting by the"quiet luxury" of the interior design (lobby,room,restaurant ,fitness center) ,the amazing breakfeast,the service,the super friendly and professional staff,the location,the view from the roof restaurant.

We were happy to return to our room every day.

Thanks Sofitel !!!

Room Tip: Try to get the room having old city view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comment.
I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will forward your feedback to all Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I stopped in Vienna for one night on my way to Athens, from Prague. Being a fan of Sofitel hotels (I have enjoyed my stay in Munich, Berlin and London) and having heard great things about this one, I booked it right away. I had arranged for a driver to pick me up from the airport and, upon arrival at the hotel, I experienced a very warm and professional welcome. I was given a map with tips for a walk around town and for food. I asked for a place with a really good schnitzel and the concierge arranged for a reservation. All their recommendations were excellent, which was of great help since I did not have a lot of time in Vienna.
I stayed in room 1312 and the first thing that left me speechless upon entering the room was the view. A big glass wall offering a stunning view of Vienna, you are lying in bed and looking at the city, it is indescribable. The design of the room is slick and modern, comfortable layout, impressive bathroom, very comfortable bed, impeccably clean. I could not find one wrong thing.
The last thing I experienced before my departure was the breakfast up on the 18th floor. Regarding the food, a buffet with a large variety of high quality breakfast options. I am not a big fan of endless buffets, but the way that everything is offered here is pretty interesting and you never end up holding your plate and feeling disoriented. However, the food is a tiny part of the whole experience, there is glass around the 18th floor and the view is breathtaking. If my flight wasn't leaving, I would have probably stayed there for a couple of hours just marvelling at it.
I am definitely going back to Vienna and I look forward to spending some more time at the Sofitel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank LEONIDAS K
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your very nice comment about your stay.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed the hotel as well as the friendliness of our Ambassadors.
I will immediately forward all positive words about the different services to the managers and Ambassadors in charge.
It would be my pleasure to welcome you back soon, for a longer stay as Vienna has a lot to offer culinary and sightseeing wise.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

The rooms in this hotel are all white, black, or gray. It's very stark. The floors are even painted, and there's no carpeting. It's an interesting experience to have a totally open bathroom...without a door to the shower. The hotel's location is over a bridge from the center of the city, so it's a little out of the way. The restaurant on the top floor overlooks the entire city with a spectacular view!

Room Tip: Senior citizens may prefer to stay away since there are no safety bars in the bathroom and the uncarpeted floors may be slippery.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for giving us some feedback.

All comments are very important to us in order to see how our guests feel in our hotel.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We had a great time in Sofitel vienna, we've been upgraded to Luxury king room, the receptionist called Arian was very helpful and professional. the breakfast was great in the 18th floor overlooking the whole city :)

Room Tip: higher floors have less noise :)
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I am happy to read that you had a great time at the Sofitel.

I will forward your nice words to our Ambassodors and especially to Arian, as this is the best motivation.

Kind regards,