“Excellent for those who enjoy contemporary art and design”

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom
Ranked #30 of 358 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Already from the outside one can see that this hotel is special - colorful ceilings call for attention and are especially beautiful at night. One can spend hours just observing their fanciful scenes, including some videos, all created by the Swiss artist Pipilotti Rist.

In contrast to all these colors, the elevators are rather dark; hallways are monochrome, with only a strip of colorful light. Our room was all white, very well organized, with sliding glass doors separating the room itself from the large bathroom that was furnished so as to blend with the design of the room. There was also a sliding kind of a desk next to the bath tub, very creative.

When we first arrived at the hotel, there was a problem with hot water and we were not given a room, had to wait until this technical problem was fixed - that could have been handled better by the reception staff - they all seem to be very young, more experience would help.

Breakfast brought to the room was excellent.

Bed included a very soft feather mattress which we had to remove in order to sleep better.

Did not go to the spa, but the winter garden next to it is very enjoyable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your very positive comment.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and the design created by the star architect Jean Nouvel.
I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced upon check in. During the night, we encountered a broken hot water pipe that supplies several floors with hot water. Unfortunately, the incident held the whole day and we sincerely regret that we couldn’t offer you an alternative on your arrival.
I contacted our Front Office Manager in order to work out actions for improving our service during such a situation.
I will forward your kind words to all Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

It's central. All transportation is close and availlable. Walking distance from old town. The service and stuff are super helpfull & pleasant. Modern design of the rooms. The rooms perfectly planned, very comfortable and clean. Nice landskape from the windows. Ask for old town side, but the Prater side is not bad ever. Good Restaurant and Bar on the roof, very quirky designed. The Vista from the restaurant is magnificent and worth taking breakfast there. Sofitel located in a small mall with another restaurant(El Gaucho) and several furniture and design stores.

1  Thank David M
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comment.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the design of hotel and rooms created by Jean Nouvel.
I will forward all your comments to our Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
I hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Simply the best experience my wife and I have ever had staying in a hotel. The professionalism of the staff was not only matched by their attention to detail but also their friendly demeanor. The room was of the highest quality and modernity - best night sleep I have had in years. We also fully recommend the roof-top restaurant, the food, beverage and views of the city were spectacular.

Room Tip: Corner suites are very comofortable with great space.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your outstanding comment on Trip Advisor.
I am more than happy to read that you fully enjoyed your stay with us.
It is my pleasure to forward such a positive comment to all Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
I hope to welcome you back soon.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Sofitel is simply outstanding. Service, quality of staff, free gym and wifi, high-end coffee and juices in the extremely well-decorated rooms, you name it. Highly recommended. One minor issue, though: Room service prices are quite high, even for Vienna, and portions are small. Had to order twice just to get reasonably full.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your positive comment on Trip advisor.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay.
It will be my pleasure to forward your positive feedback to all our Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation.
I have contacted the Chef and our Director of Operations concerning your remark about the room service.
I hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed there for 4 nights at the end of October. Staff very helpful, obviously very well trained in Customer Service. Special mention for the Concierge, Wolfgang Wagner, who gave us excellent attention and service. Breakfast excellent at their roof restaurant with a superb view of the city and, again, very attentive and efficient staff. Good location. Ultra modern, minimalistic, well appointed rooms with comfy bed, all neutral colours (our room was all grey, we understand others are all black or all white), sliding wooden panels instead of curtains, open area bathroom again with sliding panels (which weren't sliding well), hard floor. We personally prefer a softer, warmer decor, so in this type of room we felt a bit "boxed in".

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comment.
I will forward your positive feedback with great pleasure to all Ambassadors and especially to Wolfgang our concierge, as this is the best motivation.
I am sorry to read that the rooms designed by Jean Nouvel weren’t to your satisfaction.
I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

very ultra modern hotel . service excellent . personal very friendly. easy to find . close to any other tourist actraction . top roof restaurant has a 360 degrees view . hotel has excellent wallet parking. same is the room service. the river bank Is walking distance . hotel concierge is very helpful as well. they are very well organized. the rooms are very nice and has a lot to offer. the beds are very confi . bathroom has the latested tehnologie .

Room Tip: higher floors have less A/C unit noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for your positive comment.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your holiday with us.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back soon for another stay in Vienna.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Picked this hotel based on reviews, and it was a good decision. It's all been said: I'm just adding to the rave reviews.

It is luxuriously minimalist. The whole place is black, grey and white and very stylish. We loved our room - large, clean, well-appointed. Bed and linens were high quality (firm bed, good pillows), Hermes toiletries, wet room style bathroom and fabulous views. You can open a window, and the heating / cooling can be controlled. Large desk, large bench for bags, Nespresso machine. It is not, however, for people who like the curtains & cushions style of decor - it's sleek lines and surfaces. Personally, I'm not keen on the open bath concept, but there are sliding panels, and a separate toilet room. My only (small) issue with the room was that the lighting over the desk was poor.

Le Loft, the restaurant on the top floor is a thing of beauty, with an illuminated painting on canvas ceiling. Make sure you see it from outside at night. It's also a good restaurant, with exceptional views.

It is across the river, but it's a very short walk to the centre.

Finally, exceptional staff service. Thomas at reception is a wonderful advertisement for the hotel - he gets it just right, introducing you to the hotel and the city with charm and personality. But everyone we came across was exceptionally helpful and hospitable, and happy to assist you in any way.

Would I stay there again? If I had my choice I'd never leave. Well done, Sofitel.

Room Tip: Overlooking the city is the obvious choice as the views are wonderful, but I don't think there a...

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your good review about the hotel.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
It is my pleasure to forward your positive comment to all Ambassadors and especially to Thomas from the reception.
I hope to welcome you back soon.