“Xmas time stay in Vienna”

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom
Ranked #30 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Nice, France
“Xmas time stay in Vienna”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

As stated by others here, Jean Nouvel really created a showcase of modernity. On the other hand some might find the rooms and common areas a bit cold however lovers of modern design (as myself) will feel at home here.
The "Le Loft" rooftop restaurant/bar is a very nice and cool place to have a drink and has magnificent views of Vienna and these in all directions thanks to the place being one of the highest in the large centre.
The staff is very friendly and communicative and breakfast are a feast to the eyes and mouth..
The SPA area is up to level with the hotels design and feels cosy.
My only not-so positive comment would be regarding the "king size" bed in the Deluxe rooms as they are in fact two mattresses with an over-matress but one can feel the separation (albeit being offered and booked as King size).

Room Tip: The Deluxe rooms on the highest floors are an obvious choice if you can/want afford the higher price...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
I am glad to read that you like the modern design and appreciate the work done by Jean Nouvel.
Regarding your comment to the bed, we do have rooms with king size beds that consist of only one mattress. Please do not hesitate to ask front office upon your future visit.
Alexander Moj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

A lovely hotel, just off the inner circle, but only a 5 minute walk across the river. Well designed, very clean, spacious rooms, The breakfast is excellent and the views are amazing. The Le Bar spot at night is engaging, trendy, and full of beautiful people. If you do not have dinner reservations, just sit at the bar! you will like it! The gym is clean and spacious and covers most of the usual needs...Next time in Vienna, I will still stay at the Sofitel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear guest,
First of all, I would like to thank you for your positive feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will forward your pleasant words to all Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation for them to keep the high level of service.
Port Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had a fabulous stay at the hotel for my mum's 70th birthday surprise and it was a wonderful treat for all of my family. We booked 3 rooms at the hotel and were looked after so well. All got upgraded with corner rooms and fantastic views over the city, especially at night. I thought the minimalism of the hotel would be a bit cold and not to my family's tastes but I was pleasantly surprised as it really worked with clean lines, etc. The bathrooms are all a bit different and are generally fairly open plan. If you are sharing with someone you don't know very well (I was sharing with my auntie) you just need to work around this a bit - there are full screens so you can make the bathroom completely private, but you may be able to ask for one that is less open plan, so that is a bit of guidance rather than a criticism. The beds are so comfortable and everyone wants to buy the pillows - amazing! We woke up to lovely views of the city that wrapped around the room.

We were incredibly well looked after by the staff throughout our stay. There were some real stand outs at concierge and in the restaurant at breakfast. Birthday treats were arranged for my mum - she said it was the best cake she had in Vienna and she had a lot of cakes!

The breakfast is an absolute must do. We only did this on our last day and it was such a treat. Stunning views across the city from the top of the hotel, champagne and a great selection on the buffet with hot items chosen from the a la carte menu. Even if you aren't staying at the hotel I recommend this as a Vienna stand out. At night the bar (also at the top of the hotel) is also beautiful.

Thanks so much for looking after us all so well it really was very much appreciated. My mum and her brother and sister couldn't get over the luxuriousness of the hotel and were so appreciative of such a superb stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,
I would like to thank you for your very positive feedback.
I am glad to read that you and your family enjoyed the stay at the Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom.
It is my pleasure to forward your kind words to all Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation for them.
Thank you as well for the nice feedback concerning the cake, our chef patisserie and his team will be pleased to hear about your excellent comment.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

I have stayed here both for business as leisure many times since the soft launch in December 2011 in Vienna and even gained my Accor Club Platinum status in this hotel, due to the number of stays.

As I have stayed in Sofitels across the world (NYC, Bangkok, Krabi, Brussels, Paris, etc), I do know what to expect from a Sofitel experience. Hence I also have experienced top hotels like Mandarin Oriental as a benchmark.

The Sofitel Vienna is a great venue, it has an extreme modern design and a chic but dark luxurious interior. I do understand if some guest won't like this, as it might be too modern and associated with a cold atmosphere, however I fancy this stuff.

I have stayed many times in this Sofitel, from the early beginning, and I have seen it all; slow start (service) in the beginning, many drinks at the rooftop bar, multiple spa experiences, lot's of restaurant dinners, fire alarm evacuation and seeing the hotel to evolve to a landmark and recognised hot spot for good dining, service and luxury.

There are many top hotels in Vienna, as the city of Vienna has positioned itself as the European capital of conferences, this has attracted many top hotels and global hotel chains to have piece of the pie. So in the mid and high-end range, there is quite some choice and competition in Vienna.

Before the Sofitel soft launched in Dec 2011, I aways stayed at Le Meridien, across the Vienna Opera, which is definitely not bad - but the Sofitel Vienna is at another level of service and experience.

As I mentioned before I had some downfall experiences in the beginning (slow and inadequate service, spilling on my jacket by the waiter, slow check-out). But the extremely good thing with Sofitel; they learn from feedback. As a frequent guest, I always fill-out the automated feedback surveys, which are often seen by the hotel's GM. And guess what? The Sofitel Vienna really improved themselves after providing the detailed feedback. And all issues were solved including a gesture of kindness.

As a frequent traveler in the past in this hotel. Arriving, staying and leaving was a great experience!

Arriving
The doorman greets you by name when opening the door of the car, at the reception desk, your check-in registration is already done, and you only need to sign. And you are bing addressed by your name by all staff (as in the Manderin Oriental), when entering the upgraded room, there is always a personal and hand written welcome by the GM including some additional amenities like fresh fruit, chocolate, etc

Staying
Best beds in the world, big, comfortable, nice and crispy sheets including bed-turn service, standard amenities of Hermes (shampoo, soap, lotion, etc), some upgraded rooms have baths and separate showers and the rooms are clean and minimalistic design. The minibar has complimentary water, soda and fruit drinks.

Departing
Express check-out and luggage can be picked-up

Due to my frequent travel, I got to know the GM, William Haandrikman, which is a Dutchman (who unfortunately left to lead the Sofitel Shanghai Jing'an Huamin). I was really recognised and appreciated as welcome guest; double to triple upgrades. Spa treatments (in the beginning) and cocktails at the rooftop bar. I even received an upgrade to Prestige Suite (great!!) including a complementary dinner for two at their top restaurants.

Hotel bar
Bar is not the right word, this is an experience, with a great view over the city, the bar has an extensive range of all kinds of cocktails and good whiskeys and cognacs. Lot's of Vienna's celebrities and happy view can be spotted here

Le loft restaurant
Great view, great service, good food. The food is beyond expectations you would expect in a hotel. Therefore, lot's of non hotel residents come here as well to enjoy the cuisine. As a frequent guest, even changes were possible for the courses. The wines are great too. This is the kind of restaurant, if you leave your table, you will be given a new ironed napkin from a silver platter :-)

Spa & fitness
Great venue, spacious, modern an clean. Premium fitness equipment like Life Fitness. Great locker area and good Hamman. The Spa is great, had some treatments in the past.

As a frequent traveler, I can conclude that this is my favourite hotel in Europe and definitely my most favourite Sofitel across the world. The Sofitel Vienna doen not only provides you with the feel-like-home experience, it goes beyond. Every stay is an luxury escape - not wanting to go home. I understood from the GM, that Sofitel wants to compete in the range with Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental and the Ritz, well this Sofitel knows how to do that!

I am very looking forward to visit the Sofitel Vienna again. And I would definitely recommend this hotel!

I hope this review will help you in your travel. My reviews are objective, independent and unbiased. This reviewer is an experienced international traveler, especially across Europe and South East Asia; check my profile and other reviews! Please do contact me for any additional information or clarification! And please check out my other reviews.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The reviewer is KLM Platinum Elite, SPG Gold member, Marriott Gold Elite and A | Club (Sofitel) (previous) Platinum member

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your detailed and very positive comment.
I am very happy to read that you enjoyed and still enjoy your stays with us.
It is absolutely true that feedback is very important to us. We always try to improve our service and quality.
I am sure that your feedback will help future guests and make them decide to have a try and visit us.
I hope to welcome you back soon, it would be my pleasure to meet you personally.
Wokingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed from the 30th December for 3 nights and although the hotel location is good it is hard to believe this is a 5 star hotel.
A few weeks before my arrival I emailed the hotel to make a reservation in the restaurant which was not acknowledged I then followed that by an email to there brand site which again was not responded to.
On arrival no booking and no availability for any of the 3 nights we stayed. I would expect a 5 star to leave some availability in their restaurants or at least advise before you arrive that you can make alternative arrangements.
Our experience was not good from our arrival with the front desk clerk who was on his first day who could not check us in (surely he should not have been on the desk on his first day) to the arrogant staff in the le loft bar who were surly and slow.
Check in is early afternoon however it was quite late before we received our room after refusing to accept a disabled room.
The rooms are big with great views and as advertised a designer has had a field day,while at times compromising on practicalities.
We stayed Christmas at the sofitel legend in Amsterdam and found the experience very good however this hotel falls far short of the mark

Room Tip: Book room with view over cathedral
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John P
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I am very sorry for the inconveniences you experienced in our hotel.
The reservations department has been informed about your comment in order to check your booking as all our guests had received emails asking for restaurant bookings during the busy New Year’s period.
I would like to sincerely apologize for the disappointment as this does not reflect our high level of quality and service we want offer to our guests.
I still hope to welcome you back soon and for any further information or reservation, please do not hesitate to contact us directly via h6599@sofitel.com.
Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Good location, in the center, nice design of the building... It offers panoramic views over Vienna. A large hotel with many rooms, if there are a lot of people can be a long wait at the elevator and the reception ... Rooms are spacious and ok.
Food (breakfast) is good, great choice. In such a large hotel could have more staff. For what the hotel offers, the price is very high.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest,
I would like to thank you for your feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed our modern building, designed by Jean Nouvel, a star architect.
Your comment regarding the staff has been forwarded to our Front Office Manager who will take care about the issue especially during busy periods.
I still hope to welcome you back soon.