“Good for weekends”

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom
Ranked #31 of 362 Hotels in Vienna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 March 2014

There is nothing bad I can say about this hotel. I have traveled in over 60 countries and thesis my favourite hotel so far! The staff were amazing a friendly and nothing was too much trouble, the bell boys even brought us water and a towel after a run. The room was amazing and really large. The beds were luxurious with fabulous sheets and feather duvets. The nespresso machine in the room was great we had fruit juice and water for free in the room. The roof top bar and restaurant are fabulous, the views over Vienna are the best. Breakfast buffet was extensive and delicious.
The is a very well equipped fitness centre and they provided a running map for the local park.
The rooms had great views and were really quite, we didn't even notice our neighbours at all. We had a white room, apparently there is also black rooms, I did not look inside one of these by the white one was fab.
I did not use the spa but it looked lovely
I could rave forever.

Room Tip: Get as high as possible for the view. We had the twin room overlooking the Ferris wheel, the room mu...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Alexander M, General Manager at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
It is my pleasure to forward your kind words to our Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation for them.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We would be more than happy to show you our other room types upon your next stay with us.
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, very contemporary design (black and white game of colours). I would say this would be one of the flagships Sofitels located in cities.

18th floor coffee experience is the one to die for!

Please, say HELLO to Claudia G.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank adrianandjoanna
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
It is my pleasure to forward your kind words to our Ambassadors and especially to Claudia, as this is the best motivation for them.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and our Le LOFT Bar on the top floor.
London England
Reviewed 23 February 2014

The Sofitel Vienna, rises above the Danube in a graceful challenge to the empirical buildings over which it towers, without dominating. It is beautifully mis-aligned and the architect
has created an elegant tromp d'oeil of a leaning tower. Move over Pisa!
The car service from the train station had been arranged and was waiting at the station to bring us back to the hotel. The concierge was at the door waiting for us and the welcome was warm, personal and charming. Our plans and reservations for the coming days were printed and at the ready. Very efficient. Black, White or Grey Room. what to chose when travelling with kids & gorgeous husband.? Connecting! The rooms are sharp and very very sexy and the stylish and space-saving aspects again had me wishing I could hire the interior designer!
The restaurant at the top of the hotel is worth dining if only for the view of both the city and the amazing ceiling, which can be seen from across the river when approaching the hotel! The chef is inventive, the staff are charming and the view of Vienna, outstanding. If you were not in the mood for a full meal, the bar, pitched at a slightly higher point in the centre of the restaurant has equally good views. We had made a reservation for dinner for 4, and despite being an hour late and not particularly hungry,we were treated as treasured guests. The buffet breakfast was chock full of a variety of choice for dieters and non-carb eaters, but the bread and pastries were not to be missed. The children loved the pancakes and ordered another round!
Would highly recommend as it is close to everything, whilst still being just slightly separate, which I do enjoy.

Room Tip: Surprise yourself with Grey White or Black room depending on your mood-Avail yourself of the excelle...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your very positive feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the Le LOFT restaurant.
Your comment demonstrates as well that you liked the design of the hotel created by star architect Jean Nouvel.
Leicestershire
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Superb luxury hotel well located, we loved the white rooms and views from the 12th floor. Concierge recommended lovely local hostelry for dinner (Griechenbeisel) and Reception very helpful in printing our boarding passes.
Now the complaint! When I go to an international hotel, with a world class Chef I don't think it is too much to ask for a simple vegetarian meal. I checked the menu for the Loft Restaurant on the first night and found there was not a single vegetarian option. As we had booked a table for the following night to celebrate my 50th Birthday overlooking the glorious city, I spoke to the Restaurant Manger and she explained they would make sure there was something for me to eat the following evening. Imagine my disappointment when all the Chef could muster was a green salad as a starter comprising lettuce tomato and cucumber, followed by either risotto (why does every restaurant think vegetarians like being offered risotto every time?!!) or the frogs legs pasta without the frogs legs (pasta with honey - hardly appetising?). The salad given to us on our British Airway flight home, knocked together in a production factory in Southall was far superior! The service in the restaurant was cordial and friendly but very slow and my husband had to ask for his glass to be refilled on several occasions. Had we not been given copious amounts of bread we would have probably been less patient. In conclusion, they could take more money if they were more attentive with offering wine, or after dinner drinks, and having a superb location should not be taken for granted, they need to sharpen up their act a bit with both service and food offering. In conclusion, yes we would stay there again and if you are not vegetarian try the restaurant!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MelCharlton
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear guest,
First of all, I would like to thank you for your feedback.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Your pleasant words have been forwarded to all Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation for them to keep the high level of service.
I deeply regret that you had a disappointing experience at our Le LOFT restaurant. I will discuss the issue with our Head Chef and his team to create an appropriate offer satisfying our vegetarian guests.
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed with my Wife at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom for 4 nights.

As expected it was a wonderful stay. All the Sofitel standards were met.

We had a “Luxury Room” at 15th floor, overlooking St. Stephen's Cathedral. In my opinion it deserves the extra cost! The room was very spacious, the view was simply breathtaking and all the amenities included were much appreciated (free and rather speedy and reliable WiFi, free beverages – non alcohol – free Nespresso machine with 6 capsules per day, big LCD with several free internet radio channels, etc.).

Our rate had breakfast included, which I highly recommend if you intend to have breakfast at the Hotel.

We had dinner once at the roof top restaurant, which was expensive even considering the service (very good!) the food (not extraordinary and to much creative in my opinion) and the view (breathtaking!). Ok, it’s a significant experience for a special occasion but be prepared to pay around 100 euros per person if you are going to have wine (even choosing a not very expensive bottle for the standards of the wine list).

For a more common dinner I can recommend the Spanish restaurant in the commercial gallery of the hotel building. You can go there directly crossing the reception hall, no need to step outside which is nice when the nigh is cold :-).

Outside and nearby the Hotel you have plenty of options to eat, starting at MacDonald’s and ending at the typical Old Viennese Tavern. If you like fish and seafood and don’t bother by having it in a “fast food way” don’t forget to try one of the many “Nord Sea” restaurants. It’s a not very expensive way to have a good piece of lobster or shrimps, or…

The location of the Hotel couldn’t be better, because we were near enough the pedestrian streets and far enough of the historical centre in order to have a global nice view of the whole historical constructions.

The overall experience was excellent, mainly due to the quality of the Hotel and the Service.
I will definitely stay there again if returning to Vienna.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank APM_707
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your positive and detailed comment.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Your friendly words have been forwarded to all Ambassadors, as this is the best motivation for them.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed here last week and had a fabulous time. Hotel is nicely decorated, very chic and hip while remaining to be simple and modern. Hotel staff are all very welcoming and professional. Check-in and check-out are both efficient and pleasant. Service was impeccable, everybody had a smile on their face and was sincere about it.

We had a superior double room. The interior design is all white (there are black, grey, white ones apparently and ours happens to be white), and very modern, with a sliding door between the bath/sink area and the room. Bed was super comfortable, with a selection of pillows to choose from. We were satisfied with the standard pillows and did not have to request for special ones.

Breakfast was on one of their top floors, I forgot which, and the view was phenomenal. In addition, the ceiling had special artistic design, which because of the floor-length all-glass windows on this floor, can be seen from outside the building, simply breath-taking.

Location-wise, also perfect. Across from the Schwedenplatz, which is a 5 minute walk across the street, and has a direct connection Airline bus that will take you right to Vienna airport. And the famous church, is only another 5 minutes away by foot.

Totally 5* deserving hotel! I would stay here again and again without doubt!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Faintingstar
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your positive and detailed comment.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and the modern design by star architect Jean Nouvel.