“My favourite hotel in Vienna”

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom
Ranked #30 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Goettingen, Germany
“My favourite hotel in Vienna”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I know that perhaps my review comes a bit late, but even after a couple of weeks I'm still under big impression of that hotel. Beautifully designed, located almost in the city's heart - with very welcoming staff, comfortable rooms and great bathrooms - this shall be my Stammhotel in Vienna.

I'm not going to rate hotel's design - I personally like "cold" elegant interrios (my all-in-white room was great) - so if you are looking for an old Vienna charme, better book another place, but even if the place look like a business location, the staff is very friendly and very helpful (don't hesitate to ask the to find you and book a place where you can have crème brûlée just before midgnigt).

OK, perhaps if everything in the room is white, one can see all the spots and scratches, but with the great Prater's view, it's not a big deal. And talking about the view... One just have to go the top floor (I would advice to have a breakfast there - it's really magnifique)... Stunning panoramic view of the city! Oh, and if you feel like having coctails - the prices are just halfs of the prices you have at Sofitel Europe in Brüssels... and they are as good as in Belgium!).

I like the fitness area too. Honestly, book a room here. I surely will!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank me_not_likey
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback. I will be more than happy to inform all our Ambassadors about your kind words.
Indeed, the material used is quite prone to traces of wear, especially in the white rooms. The Housekeeping team uses already special products for the crowns.
Our Chief Engineer is currently working on a plan to improve the state of the hotel rooms.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the modern design.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Alexander Moj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2014

This surely is a design focused hotel, unfortunately that has taken over from the comfort that a 5 star hotel needs to offer. Public areas are functional but not comfortable, yes the view from the 18th floor bar and restaurant is great but seating doesn't make you want to linger. Our room was meant to be a luxury room overlooking St Stephens cathedral, however, it was a side room where you could see the cathedral by straining your neck. Beds are great but that was let down as not everything in the room was functioning, some lighting not working, broken bathroom sliding door and marks on the only white wall, would it be too much to paint over these! Certainly not 5 star standards.

Room Tip: Be careful and don't accept a side room, avoid 1409
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shrop
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I am very sorry to read that the design by the architect Jean Nouvel was not at your taste and you didn’t feel comfortable.
Our technician and Housekeeping Manager have been informed about your comment and will take care of the issues you mentioned as this does not reflect our high standard of service and quality we want to offer to our guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon in order to provide you with a “magnifique” stay and a different room category.
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I stay second time in Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom. This is one of the best hotels in the world from my experience. Perfect service, amazing rooms' design and perfect location. I will return back soon ....

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Alexander M, General Manager at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear guest,
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 March 2014

The Sofitel Hotel is a perfect hotel, good service. Nice, clean, big rooms. Le Loft is a nice restaurant on top with excellent view, a real experience. When I go back to Vienna, I'll stay here.
THE place to stay in Vienna.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your positive feedback that I have forwarded to all our Ambassadors.
I hope to welcome you back soon.