“nice weekend in Vienna”

Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom
Ranked #31 of 362 Hotels in Vienna

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Paris
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The view that you get from this hotel is just fabulous. We were on the fourteenth floor with a magnificent view on Vienna and the cathedral. The restaurant has even a better overview and the experience there is unique especially in the evening when you see Vienna moving from day to night.

However, the design of the rooms is unpleasant. The colors and the furniture bring a cold, grey, sad atmosphere. You just do not feel comfortable without the traditional expected attributes of luxurious rooms. It takes time to find what you need and how it works. The bathroom is in the room with moving walls. No way to find how to completely close the toilet door. The seating (except in the bed) is not comfortable.

I recommend this hotel only as a unique experience.

Room Tip: Choose the view on the cathedral and of course a high floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jean030
Alexander M, Geschäftsführer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed the views from your room and the 18th floor.

However, I regret to read that the modern design did not reflect your taste of a luxury accommodation.

Indeed, it is a very minimalistic style without colored components as Jean Nouvel wishes that our guests can focus on the stunning views of Vienna without distraction.

We look forward to welcoming you back, maybe just for a visit to the top floor.

Australia
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed for a night in a luxury room. The location was decent, a 10-15 min walk across the bridge to the centre of town. The hotel exterior was a modern mid rise skyscraper, unlike the historical buildings of its peers.

The interior was very modern and check in was efficiently handled. Im not a fan of the Accor group, they seem to be the only chain that segments their loyalty program into different regions, and my Asia-Pac AAP Plat card was totally ignored and awkwardly left on the table during check-in (i wasnt expecting anything but they normally record it for credit on F&B spend etc). Glad I didnt have to buy into that joke of a program as it was comped through Amex. SPG are far more generous to lower tiered members.

The room itself was large and painted almost entirely in grey, the furniture was rather austere and didn't give out the feeling of warmth or luxury. The floor was some sort of industrial plastic, which hadnt been cleaned very well (the recess above the bed was likely a little dirty) - the slippers sorted that out but it was a little disappointing. The furniture likewise was very Ikea - perfectly functional and decent but not exactly what you'd expect in a luxury hotel. The fabric of the lounge for example seemed to resemble rubber. The bathroom was large, grey and made of the same material as everything else in the room. The Hermes toiletries were very nice and a contrast to a sea of grey.

The bed was extremely comfortable, and the views of the Cathedral and the city were stunning, arguably the best of any hotel in Vienna. There was also a fridge with complimentary bottles of still/sparking water, soft drinks and juice. Wifi was free but the connection was bizarre, the signal would drop out completely as soon as you left the room. There was no turn down service, which is no big deal of course but at this price point somewhat unexpected.

There was a small gym with a few cardio machines but very few weight machines/free weights. They also had a jacuzzi and hammam (along with lounge chairs around the area) which was unique and pretty cool.

I inquired about a late checkout and was told that the hotel was quite full; after a minute or two of tapping away at the keyboard I was asked about the time of my flight, before finally being told that my checkout could not be extended even for an hour. I realise complimentary extensions are at the sole discretion of the hotel and subject to capacity constraints, but I cannot remember the last time a luxury hotel (or any other hotel to be honest) refused to grant an extra hour or two for checkout. The clerk then informed me in a rather patronising way that the hotel could do me a favor by holding my bags for me, and said this in such a manner as to be perfectly clear that they were doing me a huge favor. I found this extremely odd, but given he also asked about my flight when they had no rooms available it wasnt surprising.

I honestly dont see what the fuss is with this property, maybe my expectations were a little high having read other reviews, but if people honestly think this is the epitome of luxury hotels, they really should get out more. There's nothing wrong with hotel, but its just average at best when you compare it to its peers.

The views from the room and the bed were great (and some would happily stay here for these two points alone), as were the toiletries, but compared to where I stayed last time, the Le Meridien, the price premium wasnt justified. Save your money and stay somewhere else - unless you really want a view - which it does have. Or spend more and stay at a real luxury hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank FatcatJunketeer
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy the modern and minimalistic design of the hotel.

Furthermore, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences concerning your loyalty card.

I have forwarded your comment to our assistant front office manager in order to double check all regulations with his team.

I hope to be able to welcome you back in order to show you our actual high standard of service and quality and maybe meet for a drink in our Le LOFT bar where you can tell me about your impressions.

Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I came very early in the morning for a check in
as my room was not ready I received a complimentary drink took a massage by finishing it
the suitcase was brought to my room the receptionist brought me the key to the SPA
the room was big very clean and modern there is a bar at the 18th floor with spectacular bar good service and excellent drinks
breakfast is served there as well
run into this hotel you will love it!

Room Tip: higher floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.

It is my pleasure to forward your kind words, as this is the best motivation.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed our stay.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I stayed here for a 2 day business meeting followed by a weekend to sightsee. What really stands out about this hotel from check in, all the way to checking back out, is the willingness and friendliness of the staff. They were helpful with all of my requests, did it with a smile, and even made some jokes along the way.
The rooms are really interesting and memorable, especially if you go from business to business hotel. Mine was all white with lots of mirrors which just made it a fun room. The tub was extra spacious. Bed was amazingly comfortable and I appreciated the extra little amenities like the free bottled water in the room and free access to the spa and fitness (both also fantastic).
Breakfast is a must at this hotel as it is on the top floor with magnificent views, not to mention very friendly and caring staff up there who do a great job at remember your order/ coffee preference day to day. By night, the bar on the top floor is great for some cocktails and nibbles.

Outside of the hotel- you are near to great shopping and attractions. No complaints here and I hope to return soon! This hotel makes most others look and feel like a dump.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.

I will be more than happy to inform all our Ambassadors about your kind words.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed the hotel and our services.

Foster City, California
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The Sofitel Vienna hotel is located in the heart of Vienna and still away from the crowded center. The service at the hotel is very welcoming and the room service is great. The breakfast restaurant at the top floor starts your day as an appreciated tourist with great views of the city.
My room was all white and I mean all white and that was scary at the beginning and lovely a minute later. Fabulous after 24 hours. Great hotel with great helpful staff at the concierge desk and front desk.

Room Tip: I asked for their best suggested room and I received a great room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.

I will be more than happy to inform all our Ambassadors about your kind words.

I am glad to read that the white room suited your taste.