“Good indian food in a modern setting”
Review of Nam Nam

Nam Nam
Ranked #549 of 4,142 Restaurants in Vienna
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Mariahilf
Helsinki, Finland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good indian food in a modern setting”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This place came recommended by young local people so we decided to give it a shot. The place looks really nice, including decor and papadum bread waiting on the table with dips on a nice plate. The food was very good, I had the 3 different curries special. The only problem with the visit was the bill, the first version they brought us included items that we had not ordered. They we're very apologetic about the incident and fixed it of course. I would still recommend this place!

Vienna, Austria
“Nice atmosphere, not too pushy service”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

A visit to the Nam Nam had been planned for some time, but something always came in between, first the 2013 summer heat, then other nice Indian restaurants.
Finally I made it, together with a friend who is a regular customer. The restaurant is situated in a side street off Mariahilfer Straße, has several nicely decorated rooms without the usual Ganesha-red plush-Sitar music-Indian atmosphere, just nice tables and lots of candles and cool artwork.
The garden was open and offered some very welcome outdoor seating.
We opted for Paneer as a starter, a vegetarian thali selection complete with rice & naan & raita, and chili chicken. My friend insisted that we try the carrot dessert, but the charm of the dish was lost in me (don't even like carrot cake). Service is not pushy, friendly and unobtrusive, but they sure have humor:

Me: "Will I like the carrot dessert?"
Waiter: "Hm, not sure."
Me: "Do you like the carrot dessert?"
Waiter: "No, no, I don't like these desserts! I like the spicy food, and for dessert I like chocolate."
We ordered it anyway, and I suggested that they pimp it with some Inländer Rum (the Austrian way of rescuing desserts). He laughed and said he will suggest it to the kitchen. The second waiter came, and we discussed if this would be a good idea or not.

Very fun place, good food, nice people.
We'll definitely come back.

My only improvement suggestion would be that they put Paneer Makhni (paneer cheese in tomato butter sauce, a fantastically rich dish) on the standard menu. At the moment, they only have it sometimes on their weekly menu. But ok, I never would have tried the veggi thali otherwise, and that was really good.

milano
“Would be a 3star for the food, 0star for the service and fairness.”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

It has been my second time here at the Nam Nam. I prefer to try a place twice before writing a review.
The menu is only a 3 star because I believe it could significantly improve. the quality of the Chichen tikka was not uniform, the meat is too tender and not crispy and I feel there is way too much creamy sauce rather than meat (it gives you a sensation of being filled up for sure).

Now the bad side. This place is trendy, elegant and full of youth. NEvertheless when I enter a restaurant I pretend courtesy and respect from the waiter. The last time we were treated like unwanted guests just because we arrived shortly after nine and the kitchen is set to close down at 10pm. The waiter looked in a rush, he was extremely rude in providing clarification for the food and after we finished eating he was constantly aking whether we wanted something else to drink.
a final surprise on the bill.
We had expressively ordered plain basmati rice but the waiter brought a rice with raisins (he memorized the orders rather then using a pencil). It was ok, but since it was a clear mistake on their side we would expect a gesture of good faith and courtesy and not be charged for the difference, but it happened!!!

I will never enter this place again nor I would reccomend to friends unless they decide to change their attitude.

3 Thank StudentelloMilano
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
“Worst restaurant experience we ever had”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Worst restaurant experience I ever had. I have to admit the food was delicious, but the waiter was extremely rude. He treated us like if he wanted us to leave as soon as we got there, as if he were going to feed us for free and was doing us a big favor. We had been travelling all day and had reached Vienna only a few hours earlier, and staying in a nearby apartment. I don't know if the waiter was bothered by the fact that we were a family with children, the fact that my husband and his parents are Indian (which would be outrageous as he seemed to be from Indian origin too), or he just has a bad attitude. It was our first experience in Vienna and I was very disappointed and worried this was the way it was going to be from then on. Fortunately, it was only this one bad experience and we were able to enjoy the rest of our trip. Even if the food is good, there is no way I would go back there or recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited June 2013
“Bland food and inattentive service”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Living in the neighborhood we've been regularly eating at this restaurant and have witnessed its unfortunate decline in quality. Starting out as a nice Indian restaurant the food is now really bland and boring and the service lax.

Arriving at 8 pm with not even half of the tables with customers we waited an incredible 55 minutes for one Chicken Tikka Masala and one so-called Malai Chicken.

The Chicken Tikka turned out to be dry chicken pieces in a tomato sauce that could also be served at any Italian place due to a lack of seasoning (nothing of the slight hotness that was promised either). The same with the Malai Chicken: a bland and boring sauce with some pieces of chicken.
The beer we ordered when the food was served arrived 15 minutes later and only after one reminder and of course after the meal was finished.

The staff was very inattentive (surely not overly busy with 4 waiters for about 20 small tables) and slightly snobbish if not to say rude.

Definitely not a place that will see us again anytime soon even though it is conveniently located around the corner.

• Visited June 2013