“Never again”

Cuisines: Austrian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Josefstadt
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Only because I did not round up the bill to give 30 cents of a tip ( I did not know I should do it), the waiter was absolutely rude cashing me. He literally swept the coins from the table with a quick and nervous movement and was gone without even saying thank you. That was impertinent manifestation of his unhappiness because of not receiving a tip. Never again and beware of a bald headed waiter there!

1  Thank Eufemietta

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

The best part of the late lunch was the waiter who was cheerful and helpful! We had Vienna sausage, goulash and an onion soup. We also shared an Appelstrudel with vanilla sauce! All the food were good!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

My hotel found this restaurant by searching for a restaurant that had gluten free food.
I took the U-bahn and walked about 2 km from the station to the restaurant. I was not disappointed. I had a Wienerschnitzel natur (without breading) which was one of the best of these I have had in years. I also had a couple of Semmel (small bread rolls for the non-Germans) which were also gluten free. They had a slightly funny taste due to the gluten free flour. The meal came with rice. I told the waiter that I was traveling the next day and could not afford to be sick. He said "While I did not make this myself, I promise you that it is gluten and lactose free". I have never had a waiter or chef promise me anything! The food was excellent. The restaurant has a smoking and a non-smoking area.
Would I go back? YES.

Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

In this cafe there is a very good service! I would also like to mention delicious "Sommer torte", and black tea is pretty good as well!

Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Hummel is a classical Viennese café with the typical charming waiters, lots of original variations of coffee, "Mehlspeisen" and a comfortable outside sitting area in summer-season.
but Hummel still keeps up to date regarding offers like delicious soy chai latte or soda with mint sirup, has a daily good priced meal therefore it's frequented by younger people who enjoy a "Spritzer" as well as elderly people reading the papers there and others who come for breakfast lunch or dinner - in few words: it's a common place in this part of Vienna (8th district)