“Great charm, hospitality and location”

Hotel Zur Wiener Staatsoper
Ranked #214 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely small an old-fashioned, very Viennese, family hotel. Friendly and caring atmosphere and service. Tiny rooms and bathrooms, tiny elevator. We slept well, some hollering outside in the street below. Walking distances to most tourist sights and many shops, truly in the midst of lovely Vienna!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Zur Wiener Staatsoper

Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Location is ideal - in the center of the city. Most highlights are a short walk. The Kaerentner shopping street is in front of you when you step out of the hotel, so are the Albertina Museum ( a wonderful exhibition "from Monet to Piccaso") and the opera - Staatsoper and the Hofburg.
The Stefan Cathedral is a 5 minutes walk through the beautigul Kaerentner pedestrain street, which will lead you to Graben.
Nashmarkt, the food market, is 10 -15 minute walk.
Lots of restaurants and Hotdog stands are in the vicinity.
Although it is a 3 star hotel, breakfast offers a big variety, a pretty Vienese style small dinning room and a wonderful service.
The room, in Vienese styles well, is not big but it is comfortable. I was glad to find a cupboard which I often missed in 4 srar hotels. The bath room is small yet functional.
The Staff is kind and very helpful and offered useful and reliable information regarding any question.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Rivka P
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We wanted to be able to go around by foot, so we chose a hotel in the centre. This hotel just a block away from the beautiful opera gives you an authentic austrian feeling for reasonable price.
The beautiful staircase and corridors, as well as the breakfast salone give the place a romantic spirit. You can tell the furniture is old but it is not obsolete and fits in. The carpets are bad, though, i hope those guys get rid of them soon.
The staff is friendly and breakfast is delicious!!!

Reviewed 3 October 2013

It’s hard to imagine a better location for sightseeing in Vienna. The hotel is located on a pedestrianized street just steps away from the Opera House, the Albertina Museum, the ring streets, and the Kaertnerstrasse shopping district. The Hofburg and Stefansplatz are a short walk, and there is easy access both to trams and the U-Bahn (subway) to range further afield. The hotel itself is small and cozy, and the front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was a very reasonable size for a mid-range hotel in one of Europe’s most expensive cities: not large, but not so small that there was no room to move around. The bathroom was tiny: it felt scarcely larger than an airplane toilet, but was adequate. Breakfast was served in a well appointed room right off the lobby, and was strictly European – cold cuts and rolls, some cereals, juice, tea, and coffee. The serving staff were very attentive. One drawback: our room was on the second floor and overlooked the street, which has a number of restaurants at which carousing continued well into the wee hours. Our choice was to keep the windows closed or be entertained by some very loud revelers.

Overall, this is a comfortable, reasonably priced hotel in an outstanding location.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room on a higher floor and away from the street would be less noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Eeyore17
Reviewed 3 September 2013

After coming home I have read some revues about this hotel. It is true that Vienna is very hot in summer and the fan in the bedroom was useless. However our main problem was that the rooms are very, very, small and the bathroom was minute. It was also quite tatty, with no carpet on the stairs and very dusty artificial flowers everywhere. We found the staff friendly towards us but we did not complain about anything, we just put up with it. They also charged 4 euro for the safe key, 4 euros to borrow and adapter (my husband thought he would have a refund when he returned it!) and you could have had a small bottle of mineral water for 2.50 euro (we drink the tap water). It was convenient for all of the main tourist attractions. I am not sure how the price compared with other hotels in central Vienna but it was not, in my opinion, good value for money.

6  Thank Joanna935
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The hotel's website promised "modern comfort" and a "ventilator during the summer months". What we got was a stuffy room that reached 40C (105F), with a small desk fan to move the hot air from one side of the room to the other. Sleep was virtually impossible, due to the heat and the noise coming through the window (which we had to leave open in the hope of reducing the temperature). Both the bedroom and the bathroom were rather small - poor value for money.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere in summer
5  Thank UKtravellerK
Reviewed 9 August 2013

During the summer months, you may regret bitterly staying in this hotel. This is particularly so if you stay in the rooms in the front of the hotel (the double rooms). These rooms face the sun all day long, so they becomes little better than green houses - Vienna gets fairly hot and sunny in July and August. The hotel provides no efficient means of ventilation - and they are not apologetic about it, quite the opposite. The "fan" provided is a small desk fan that does little to placate the heat. During the day is impossible to stay inside the room (for example, if you feel unwell), and during the night I measured 32C inside at near mid-night. We were told that opening the windows would help; it didn't, or not until about 4am, when the outside temperatues reached circa 25C, but then we were kept awake by the extreme street noise, as well as by the heat.
We complained with the receptionist, who was sort of blaming us for chosing to stay there (?!?), that we should have known that it would be that hot, because every summer Vienna gets hot - how should we know: there was no warning in theirs or booking.com sites and no one would automatically and willingly book a stay in hell. I tried to negotiate with the hotel owner to pay for one (unslept) night so that she would cancell the remaining of my booking, since the service provided was not as advertised nor fit for purpose. She was unrepented, she engaged in a monologue which seemed very well rehearsed - no doubt she has had to say that many times before. If I tried to interject (at no stage I raised my voice) she just kept on talking but louder and louder. I contacted booking.com and asked for them to help, and they tried. The owner again turned down any proposal from our side to negotiate an amicable exit. Like the receptionist, the owner was blaming us for chosing the hotel. Wasn't for the fact that I was feeling exhausted that morning due to the heat and an unslept night, I would have laughed. But it was then I fully sympathised with one of the reviews (the person who had asthma attack) I read in tripadvisor. Unfortunately I read it in retrospect: I should have paid more attention to the "Terrible" reviews for, although a minority, they were the most correct in this case. I ended up only staying one night in this hotel, it was impossible to stay for longer, and moved on to a nearby hotel, which was only 10% more expensive, but a few orders of magnitudes better (i.e. it did as advertised, it provided "comfort"). The owner of the Staatsoper hotel seemed very happy with the 3 for 1 deal she had on me: I paid for 3 nights but only cost her 1. Maybe this is the business model she is following.
I filed complaints with the Austrian authorities. This, and trying to warn other travellers here who, like me, pay more attention to the positive feedback, is the least I can do.

Room Tip: - Do not stay in this hotel in the summer months - If you must stay there, then chose the rooms at...
4  Thank Moonytat