“Loved this hotel!”

InterContinental Wien
Ranked #70 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Fabulous location to walk the city, catch the tour bus or ride the underground. Friendly staff, great food, beautiful rooms and overall a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
thomaslegner, General Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Dear gaterp,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your impressions.

You said it all, hopefully we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Thomas Legner

Write a ReviewReviews (2,098)

Reviewed 13 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel in Novembr for 1 night, for business. We had a big conference there and the staff did everything to keep it all running smoothly.
Breakfast and lunch was good and plenty and the rooms were big and clean.

Only downside: WiFi was not free, but cost 18 euros per day. Not really a good service from such a good and big hotel!?

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Dear IreneAmsterdam,

Thank you very much for your brief feedback.

Glad to hear that all went well during your conference and that you enjoyed the hotel and all our services.

Hopefully your next stay with us will be a bit longer.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

A grand Hotel with outstanding and luxorious common spaces and average Business Hotels corridors with adequate rooms. Our room, situated on a high floor overlooking StadPark was of a large size, classically appointed, with a comfortable bedding and the usual sheets up to the standards of this top IHG chain. The toiletries are not the usual Elemis ones, but other of lower quality.

Coming to the service we found it good. The room service and lounge staff were excellent, particularly the receptionists.

The Location is perfect being really close to the City Center and well served by public means of transportation. Is not the one of the historic hotels but as it noticeable from the ugly architecure of the exterior it is a modern era hotel.

In my opinion this a perfect place to stay if you look for a discerning no-frills experience since the Concierge are not the ones that you would expect in a Luxury hotel but the ones that you need in a Business Hotel.

2  Thank Priv_Dis_Lux
thomaslegner, General Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2012

Dear Priv_Dis_Lux,

Thank you very much for your detailed and positive feedback.

I see that you are a very well traveled Top Contributor to Tripadvisor, which makes your feedback especially valuable, both to us as hoteliers and to your many followers.

I was of course pleased to see that you rated our location, rooms and service highly and will of course share your comments with the team.

Whilst the exterior architecture may find it hard to compete with the many grand palaces of Vienna, it is actually historic as well. We are very proud to even have our own Wikipedia webpage.

Wishing you continued safe travels in 2012.

Reviewed 10 January 2012

We didnt stay in the hotel .
My friends and I enjoyed last Sunday the Champagne lunch.
The lunch is in the salon 4 Jahreszeiten and there is an extra wardrobe available outside.
We reserved the table one month before (all tables were taken) and got a nice big one next to the window overlooking the Stadtpark.
The price is 59 Euros per person which includes all the food. free Champagne, non alcoholic drinks and coffee.
For starters there were 2 soups (my friend found the oxtail soup fantastic) and 3 sort of dumplings , salmon, trout, scallops , oysters and much more.
From the main course the lamb was the best. So tender.
There was also duck, chicken, deer and others.
And of course not to mention all the dessert.
We were almost fighting over the Crème brûlée.
There was also a small cheese plate available.
All the food was available till the end at 3pm
All the waiters and cooks were really attentive and
there wasn´t a problem to split the bill into 5 single ones..

Only minor points to criticize:
Salad options was too small and the dressing not described.
the dill mustard for the salmon was only available on one end of the buffet when there was salmon on the second end too.
the cheese platter didn't match up with the other food. More variety would be better

I will definitely come again

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
thomaslegner, General Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

Dear HuSanNiang,

I was delighted to read your review of our very popular Champagne Lunch. It is indeed quite unique in the city - not your typical brunch - but more elegant in a beautiful setting.

Since you already raved about the food I won’t do so again! Thank you also for your praise of the attentive service that our staff provided.

I appreciate your eye for detail, I have already passed on your feedback to our Chef.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

This is a nice hotel. Not great, but nice. I will add to the reviews below that I enjoyed the Club floor and found it worth the upgrade my husband was talked into (my flight came later). My biggest complaint about this hotel is the concierges in the lobby. One actually gave us misinformation ("No wine tours in December.") and this same one sent us to the worst restaurant in Vienna. Another, who we lovingly dubbed "Vienna Boy" due to his refusal that life exists outside Vienna, flat out said their was nothing to to in Kloster Neuburg, were, surprise, surprise, we spent one of our favorite afternoons. My only other advice is if you go, be sure to ask for a room overlooking the skating rink. That was beautiful and fun to watch.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room overlooking the skating rink.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
thomaslegner, General Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Dear vatravelergirl,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your impressions regarding your recent stay at the InterContinental Vienna.

I am sorry that you only rated us “nice, not great” and that you did not find our Concierge Team as helpful as many of our guests do.

I would agree that Klosterneuburg is actually a quite charming destination, although most tourists coming to Vienna never make it there. The monastery and wine cellars are quite impressive.

The ice skating rink that you mentioned is the “Wiener Eislaufverein” which founded in 1867 and is indeed quite spectacular. It is the largest open-air ice skating rink in the world (according to Lonely Planet) and virtually every Viennese learnt to skate there.

Wishing you safe travels,

Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed at the InterContinental Vienna with a group of friends last November. The hotel's location is very convenient as you can walk almost anywhere. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable (they need some updating though). Best of all was the service. One of our friends got sick and the hotel staff was very diligent in locating a doctor and following up. When it was recommended that my friend do not travel, they extended his stay for an additional night at the same rate even though the hotel was sold out. That is the kind of behavior that wins a loyal guest, well done! Also, the Concierge staff was nice, being our first time in Vienna, we had a lot of questions and they were all answered with patience and kindness.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank LHRNewYork

Dear LHRNewYork,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I certainly appreciate your words of praise regarding our service levels.

Our Concierge Team loves sharing some insider tips with our guests, what better way to discover our beautiful city!

I’m glad we were able to accommodate your friend for one additional night; I hope he has since recovered.

We would love to see you back in Vienna soon.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed here for our honeymoon. We were able to secure this hotel via priceline for a fraction of the rack rate (300+Euros). We stayed for $120.

Accommodations: Beautifully appointed room. The rooms are small (as are all euro rooms), but this seemed awfully small to be on the club floor. The bathroom was nicely appointed with a standard tub and shower, but was small. The bed was very comfortable, but was somewhat annoyed that it was two twin beds together.

Service: The service was good. The room service and lounge staff were excellent. The front desk and concierge could have been slightly more accommodating and respectful. Not that I expect it, but there was really no attention paid to the fact that it was our honeymoon.

Lounge/Food: The food from room service was excellent and was very reasonably priced. It was actually much cheaper than I expected. The lobby lounge was a great place to unwind and have a hot chocolate or irish coffee. It was just what we wanted after a cold day. We did not experience the hotel restaurant.

Fees/Annoyances: The internet is my greatest complaint about the hotel. There are two services, economy and high speed. In my opinion there shouldn't even be an option, I would want to offer the best to my guests...but the 'slow' internet is 5Euro per hour or 15Euro per day. The high speed is 25Euro per day. I opted for the slower internet just because I only needed to check email/news, etc. It was the slowest internet I have ever used (and it had to be wired). It took an hour to do what usually only takes 10-15 minutes.
The mini bar as usual was annoying. Sodas and water were over $6-8 each.

Location: Fantastic, right on the ring. Directly across from Stadt Park stop on UBahn so you can take the train from the airport with ease.

Overall the stay was great. If I had paid the rack rate I would have probably had a very negative experience, however. I would recommend that if you don't secure an excellent deal to stay here, you should just stay at the Bristol, Grand or Imperial.

Room Tip: Higher floors are always better.
1  Thank telamm
thomaslegner, General Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Dear telamm,

First of all I would like to congratulate you and your wife on this very special occasion and would like to wish you all the very best for the future.

Thank you for your review, which I have already shared with the team. It is feedback such as yours that helps us improve our services. Please accept my apologies for not doing a better job at acknowledging your honeymoon. I also noted your comments with regards to the Internet speed.

I was delighted to read your praise of our Room Service and Lounge and that you rated your overall stay as great.

Wishing you both all the best for 2012, hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to Vienna in the not too distant future.