“Perfect location, very clean and comfortable rooms.”

InterContinental Wien
Ranked #70 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

The location is perfect for exploring Vienna, so close to trains and trams and stadtpark. The rooms were vey clean and comfortable and serviced well. All the staff were very nice and friendly. The bars and restaurants were nice and we would definitely stay there again and highly recommend it to others. They also gave champagne, flowers and chocolates for my husbands birthday which was a really special touch.

• Stayed: May 2014
Anthony D, Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear EmsCE,

thank you so much for your wonderful review, it is very much appreciated.
The feedback of our guest is very important to us, this helps us to improve our service quality.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and it is so great that you and your husband spend his birthday with us and this special location!
I really do hope that we will have the chance of welcoming you back soon.

Director of Rooms

Write a ReviewReviews (2,097)

Reviewed 30 May 2014

The hotel was built in 1964 and was the first hotel belonging to an international chain to open in Vienna after Soviet occupation. While it has a great location, at the entrance to Stadtpark and the U-4 Subway line and within walking distance to most of the sites, the exterior resembles an institutional Soviet-era concrete block. The rooms are rather faded and the bathrooms are among the smallest I have ever had in Europe. I could touch all walls without extending my arms. (I.e .you cannot sit on the toilet and shut the door nor have the door open and enter the shower). The "tub" itself is too small and narrow to comfortably bathe in (unless you have a tiny bottom and like to hug your knees tightly to your chest) and you have to lift your leg up quite high to enter which might might be difficult for someone with hip/mobility problems. The hot water was plentiful in the morning but unavailable and tepid in the evening. An In room safe was provided and the beds are comfortable.The hotel seems to cater to large tour groups and businessmen. Lots of Spaniards, Japanese, Chinese and Americans going on river boat cruises. Not many families nor families with children. The breakfast buffet was huge and reflected the clientele (miso, rice, naoto, hummus, olives, tabbouleh, omelettes, breads and sliced meats and cheeses, etc). The coffee was institutional grade but they will make lattes, cappuccinos etc upon request. The concierge desk is excellent as were all of the staff we encountered. We were here as part of an international business conference but I would likely not stay here if I were coming to Vienna on vacation. That said, the hotel has excellent workout facilities if you want to keep up on your exercise routine.
Also note the hotel is "L" shaped. Although we requested a room on the upper floor facting Stadtpark (there are 12 floors), we ended up with a room in the elbow of the "L" and we could look directly into our neighbor's room and vice Versa (which meant drawing the shades whenever we were in the room.). Also note there is a huge football field-size man-made "beach" area down below with multiple food and cocktail bars. Although we were on the 11th floor, we could clearly hear the music, laughter and noise etc. until they closed down at midnight. (In winter this area becomes a skating rink). Something to think about if you are bothered by noise or want to go to bed before midnight. It was a 12-14 euro cab ride from the West Train Station and the Stadtpark U-bahn station is directly across the street.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank travelmutter
Anthony D, Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear travelmutter,

thank you so much for your review, which is very much appreciated.
In order to improve our service, the feedback of our guest are very important to us.
I was delighted to read that you commend our concierge desk and enjoyed our fitness facilities.
I'm really sorry that you didn't like our rooms - as you already mentioned, our hotel is celebrating the 50th anniversary and we are very proud of this.
I really do hope that we will have the chance of welcoming you back and I'm very sure that we will find the perfect room category for you.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Beautiful peoperty - stunning views - elegance oozing from every surface.

You know you're going to get top notch when you pay top notch. If you're at least Gold with IHG, the club on the 12th floor is worth a stop for a quick drink or 3.

Location is prime. And it is possible to take the train from VIE, and walk a couple blocks to the hotel, which makes it even more attractive to those who appreciate public transportation.

Room Tip: The higher up, the better.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Anthony D, Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Dani O,

thank you for your wonderful review which is very much appreciated.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will of course share this with the entire team.
It's great that you had the chance to use the Club Lounge - it is indeed a great location for a drink or two and enjoy the beautiful view.
I really do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Had a three day, four night conference at this hotel and was surprised at how good this hotel was. Many city centre hotels are just modern boxes with little character but this was just oozing charm and atmosphere.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Anthony D, Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Julian F,

thank you very much for your nice review!
The feedback of our guests is very important to us and it is very much appreciated.
We are celebrating our 50th anniversary this year and I'm happy to read that you liked the charm and the atmosphere of the hotel
I really do hope that we will have the chance of welcoming back soon

Kind regards from Vienna

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We just loved everything about this place. Location is great, you close to all major attractions, all in walking distance. Good places to eat near by.
Great rooms, very clean, sound proof. Hotel is very busy, but we couldn't hear a thing. Great and very friendly service, help with anything very promptly.
Breakfast is to die for.
Will definitely stay here again when next time in this beautiful city.

Dear viper1979,

thank you so much for your kind words which are very much appreciated.
The feedback of our guests are very important to us and I will of course share this with the team.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I really do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon

With kind regards

Antthony Delaby

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed there for three nights as a part of our honeymoon. Lots of business travelers there. Just one minute from the subway station. 10-15 minutes walk to the center of the city. Was easy to get on the tram too.
The hotel concierge arranged us the most wonderful seats for the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra concert at the Golden Hall of Wiener Musikverein.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear masakotnk,

thank you very much for your review - the feedback of our guests are very important to us and is very much appreciated.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and I will share this with the team.
It is great that you had the chance to visit the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra and the Musikverein
I really do hope that we will have the chance of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I recently stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel in Vienna as part of a vacation. The hotel itself is nicely located within a 10-15 minute walk of St. Stephen's Cathedral. The room we had at the hotel was very, very nice, however I felt the service at the hotel was lacking. Upon arrival (about noon) our room was not ready. I could understand this and when I later returned to check in, we had been put on the 12th floor (Intercontinental Club level). However, when my husband tried to get into the 12th floor lounge to ask for help from the concierge in obtaining his seat assignment on Austrian Airlines, he was told that although we were placed on that floor, we were not allowed access to the Club. In order to get help with what he needed, he then had to go down to the Concierge desk in the lobby where the Concierge proceeded to tell him that he'd have to go to the business center. My husband was left with a computer where he had to try to figure out German and obtain the seat assignment himself. In addition, I had tried to call for a replacement for the room iron which was not working and I needed to call back to the front desk again a half an hour later to request the iron. Overall, I felt that the hotel itself was very nice, but that service left a bit to be desired. It felt like a big hotel with no focus on the customer.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Anthony D, Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Julie N ,

thank you very much for your review which is very much appreciated.
The feedback of our guest are very important to us and it helps us to improve our service quality.

First and foremost I would like to apologize for the inconvenience during your stay.
It shouldn't be an issue to help with your boarding and I'm really sorry to read that we weren't able to support you in an appropriate way.

I will of course share your feedback with the team

Please accept my sincere apology and I really do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back

With kind regards