“Class act”

Ranked #64 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Arlington, VA
“Class act”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The Intercontinental proved to be an excellent choice in every way.
It’s well located on the Ringstrasse, across from the Stadtpark Metro Station.
Just a short walk to many sites of interest to tourists.
The exterior is modern and unattractive, but inside, the Public spaces are elegant.
Check-in was swift and friendly. Note: They charge for WiFi, but if you join their
Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG) Rewards Club, you can get free WiFi in your room. . Joining is free, they’ve got signup sheets at the reception desk,

We have great things to say about the expertise and charm of the people at the Concierge Desk. They were very helpful. And the breakfast buffet was extraordinary. The breakfast room gets quite crowded at times, especially when tour groups are passing through.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of the hotel that faces Stadtpark.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
ClaraPrijapratama, Quality Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear justasteve,
thank you very much for your wonderful words. The hotel is indeed located very conveniently, so that all sights are reachable very easily. I have certainly forwarded your words of praise to our Concierge Team as well as your concern in regards to the breakfast area. We hope that you will have the possibility to return to Vienna soon.
Quality Manager/PA to the General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel, rooms and cleanliness and food are excellent. The service of the staff are probably the worst of any hotel I have stayed in anywhere in the world. Having spent a lot of money in intercontinental hotels, the staff cannot be bothered, unhelpful and cannot speak the truth. Arriving after lunch, I was informed my room was being prepared, and to wait in the club lounge. No information on how to get there. After sometime and further inquiries, I was informed that in fact the people in my room, had late check out and the room would not be available, till around 1730. The porters were non existent and generally the club staff had little or no interest, except in obvious regular customers.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
ClaraPrijapratama, Quality Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear btonboz,

thank you for sharing your experience with us. Although you find the Hotel, rooms, cleanliness and food excellent, I can certainly understand your disappointment that we were not able to provide an appropriate level of service at all times. Therefor I would like to forward my sincere apologies.

I am fully aware that the time cannot be turned back, but I hope that you will be able to visit our property again to show you that we have improved our service level.

Spain
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Well when you think about Vienna is the city of the museums more that 100 and the home town of musician masters well the Interconti is matching all this stylish Vienna atmosphere, the superb lobby the ceiling laps are amazing. The rooms are mix of British stile deco with small baths but separate WC. The breakfast at the buffet is SUPERB !! Very convenient metro station just in front at the stadpark and trams near by.

Room Tip: corner rooms are bigger and with nice view windows at to walls
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank alexfly
ClaraPrijapratama, Quality Manager at InterContinental Wien, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear alexfly,
I was happy to read that you felt comfortable and enjoyed the elegant atmosphere of the InterContinental Vienna. The breakfast buffet and the convenient location of the Hotel are definitely one of our advantages. I hope that you will have time to visit Vienna again.
London
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I joined my husband for a weekend break (he was inVienna for a conference at this hotel). If I had been booking for myself I probably would have chosen a boutique hotel in the centre. However, do not be put off by the outside, yes it could do with a new carpet on the stairs at the front entrance and yes it does look a bit old fashioned but the level of service here is excellent. The room was nice - the bathroom was too small but it was fine for one person which is what it had been used for most of the week. I would recommend going up a level from standard if it means that you can move in the bathroom. We were high up and the view was fab. We walked everywhere and the hotel is ideally situated to explore the city by foot, also cabs are readily available outside. We didn't use the restaurant but husband said the food had been good during his stay. Because it is a conference venue, the bar is buzzy and busy in the evening which we thought was a plus. All in all a solid choice with A+ service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Blueflossy13
Dear Blueflossy13,
thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. I was happy to read that you felt comfortable at our property. It is indeed very easy to explore the city as the main sights are within walking distance or just a few stops away by Tram. I hope that you will be able to spend some more time in Vienna the next time.
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Another reviewer stated that the outside is not impressive and that is unfortunately true. However, I bet when they pulled up the doorman and bellman were there immediately, with umbrellas open if needed. All personnel are consistently courteous and professional.There were conferences going on and other tour groups but unlike the dump where we stayed in Prague, the Intercontinental personnel did not let down their standards no matter how busy they got. The best shower you'll have in Europe! Seriously, it's a newish property and has great plumbing (plus the water in Vienna is great). The standard room was small but comfortable and traditionally furnished. We asked for and got a view of the Stadtpark. A breakfast buffet was included with our package and believe me in terms of quality and quantity it was better than some weddings I've attended! There's a subway stop across the street and the tram that goes around the Ring is around the corner. Our first evening we ventured out in the rain for a short walk and stumbled on the Strauss Memorial. The Kursalon and the Konzerthaus are right nearby. Since I didn't feel like dragging my laptop on vacation, the 24-hour business center next to the front desk let me keep up with my e-mails and check my horoscope every day. Vienna is expensive but at this hotel you feel like you get your money's worth. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: You can get a view of the Stadtpark or the Konzerthaus, whichever you prefer. They do their best to...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Marie S,
your valued comments are most appreciated. It might be true that the outside of the building is not very attractive, however I was happy to read that you were able to enjoy your vacation. Our breakfast buffet indeed offers a great choice, which will not leave anyone hungry. Not to forget that the Austrian water is of high quality. You are most welcome to visit us again.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 June 2014

we had the pleasure of staying here for 5 nights at the beginning on may. we stayed in a park view jr suite which gave a club lounge access. i highly recommend that. katarina, the young lady working in there, is phenomenal. she was like having our own concierge. she was so helpful with her directions and suggestions as to what to do. much better than the concierges in the lobby. in the club, the food was excellent (all complimentary) and nice bar choices. we ate dinner there almost every night along w/a few lunches.
we had breakfast at the restaurant on the main floor and it was very good.
it was my Mother's 90th birthday, when we checked into the room, there was a nice card personally signed, cake, and bottle of champagne for her. she was pleasantly surprised.
the location is perfect, in the 1st district, the employees very nice ( from check in, bell hops, house staff, and especially the club).
the lobby is beautiful, and the room was perfect, nice view, quiet, clean, and comfortable

Room Tip: club level, park view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear ginger k,
I was very happy to read that you had a wonderful stay. Especially if it was for such a special occasion like your mother's 90th birthday. I have passed on your words of compliment to Katarina.
We hope that we will be able to welcome you and your family again in this beautiful city.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband and I usually like to find boutique hotels that can cater to each of their guests' needs and preferences; however, we found a good deal on hotwire.com for the Intercontinental Wien and decided to give this 5-star hotel a chance. We were disappointed when we pulled up to the hotel and saw its exterior - it looks like a North American government building on the outside. The inside was much more grand, with chandeliers and warm colours filling the lobby.
We had to wait in line for about 20 minutes to check in because a large conference delegation had arrived just before us. It became clear to us that this hotel is mostly frequented by North American tourists or large groups of people traveling together. During check-in, we discovered that our room did not include breakfast - this was a bit disappointing because we had read incredible reviews about the hotel's breakfast selection. We opted not to add it to our room because we thought $28/person for breakfast was a little too pricey. We were also asked if we wanted to upgrade our room to a suite for an additional 40 euros/night. I found this interesting because when I had emailed the hotel after booking our stay, they had informed me that upgrades were 100 euros/night. So if you're interested in staying in a suite, I'd recommend waiting to upgrade until you check in to the hotel rather than doing it in advance.
Our room was comfortable and clean, but it could've used new wallpapers and carpets. I think it's time for them to invest in renovating so guests don't feel like they're walking on 50-year-old carpet. Our biggest disappointment was the wifi - you have to pay something like $20/day to connect to the internet. They didn't even have free internet in the lobby. This is completely unacceptable to me; even the smallest hotels in remote cities manage to offer free wifi, but this so-called 5 star business traveler-oriented hotel didn't. It made planning our days quite difficult. If you have some time in the evening, try out their steam room and sauna - it's a nice way to unwind and the staff in the fitness area are very friendly.
The location of the hotel is great, but we didn't get the experience or charm we were hoping for. We won't be returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floors with views of the park
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne-in-Toronto
Dear Anne-in-Toronto,
thank you for leaving your very detailed feedback on Tripadvisor. Please accept my sincere apologies that not all aspects of your stay did meet your satisfaction. With joining the IHG Rewards club you will have the benefit of free standard Internet which is valid in all hotels of the IHG chain. Please feel free to contact the concierge the next time you will be visiting our property. He will be more than happy to help you with planning your days.