“A beautiful hotel with poor service”

Hotel Imperial Vienna
Ranked #15 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Seoul, South Korea
“A beautiful hotel with poor service”
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Imperial, Vienna during the 1st weekend of June and had a great stay in terms of location, the interiors of the hotel, and the Imperial torte at the café but a very poor stay in terms of service levels. I would probably return to this hotel maybe once more to “test it out” but for now I am sceptical of the value of $$ paid at this hotel. Just for the record, I am a frequent traveller and mostly stay in 5* hotels.

Firstly, the architecture and the interior of the hotel are impressive. It is very old world with fine details and oil paintings all around. Reviews from others in this thread have done a great job describing the interiors. Heads of states and presidents stay here often and once you walk into the hotel lobby you will understand why. The rooms are equally immaculate with chandeliers and marble bathrooms. There are a few rooms that are evidently poorer – these are the rooms made from the old servants quarters – try to avoid these by booking a rate that is a step higher than the lowest rate.

The restaurant is great – the chef that used to head restaurant Korso at the Bristol is the new head chef there – with great large portions! The foods are evidently expensive but nothing out of the ordinary given it is part of a luxurious hotel. I would highly recommend them. Speaking of food, you cannot skip the Imperial Torte. Words cannot do them justice – make sure you get yourself one during your stay!

The location is also great, though not as perfect as, say, the Sofitel. It is 1 minute away from the Musikverein and very close to the U-bahn and the tram stops. There are plenty cafes nearby for great Viennese breakfasts. There is no swimming pool, but the gym is well equipped with an attached sauna, available 24 hours a day.

The service levels, on the other hand, are mediocre at best. The staffs seem to be efficient in what they do but in large part are quite stiff. They do their jobs but do not go beyond what is expected, as in they do not ‘anticipate’ needs as it is usually expected from hotels of this category. You will receive no greetings from the staff walking about, and most will appear busy all the time. I have not had a single person smile at me during my whole stay. The worst of the pack would be the bellman who stands around not making eye contact with anybody throughout my whole stay. The concierge, however well-connected they may be, are also indifferent in their service. At hotels of this level I would expect them to at least look up and smile if they sense someone approaching them. Instead, I had to approach the desk, do an ‘ahem’ to get their attention, and once I made my request known, had the concierge give me the information in a very ‘efficient’ but ‘cold’ way. Maybe I was disturbing him from other things that are much more important?

This really dampens your stay in this beautiful hotel, as your attention is taken away from the luxurious surroundings to thinking about the impolite/indifferent gestures made by the staff you interact with. This sub-par level of service was especially disappointing given that I had just come from The Ring where we were made to feel like valued guests. So if you are planning a stay here, set your expectations right with regards to service levels and focus on the great building you get to stay in. If service is important to you, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank jaejaez
klauchr, Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, 10 June 2011
Dear “jaejaez“,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel during your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor and allow me to introduce myself as the new General Manager at Hotel Imperial in Vienna.

It was most disappointing for me to learn about your experience at our hotel, especially as upon further investigation with my team members on duty during these days, no indication had been noted about the lack of service and the perceived indifference of several colleagues that you highlight in your comments. I have also personally reviewed all available correspondence and could not retrieve any reference to your observations posted online. Rest assured that the lack of service focus and customer attention you described is in no way a reflection of the high standards this property stands for. From my own extensive observations over the past few weeks, I can also assure you that the service interactions described by you are not indicative of the general standards visible around the hotel.

Although I quite clearly cannot bear witness of what has transpired in the period before my arrival in Vienna, rest assured that no efforts will be spared to bring any inconsistency in service delivery back in line and provide all our valued customers with a uniquely memorable experience here at Hotel Imperial that is commensurate to our history and status. Please accept my personal and sincere apologies for any lack of attention you may have suffered during your honeymoon trip at our hotel.

In summary, we clearly have a lot of areas and space to improve our services and product and I can assure you once again of our sincerity to address these points. I would greatly appreciate if you were to channel your next reservation through my office to enable me to handle the arrangements personally.

It is unfortunate that we had to get to know each other in this way and I am confident that we will be able to regain your trust once again in the future.

If there is anything else I can do for you, your family or colleague, please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

With sunny greetings from the music and culture capital of Europe,

KLAUS
GENERAL MANAGER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Our first trip to Vienna and we chose the Hotel Imperial for a 4 night stay. Wonderful! From the moment we arrived, we new we were at a special property. The public areas are gorgeous and yes, you do feel like you're in a palace. Our room had a balcony facing the front of the hotel and was spacious, comfy and very well appointed. We loved the location which was convenient to everything but a bit quieter than some other properties. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and were all delightful. My wife and I felt like we went back in time, experiencing outstanding old fashioned service, the way it used to be and the way it is at the Hotel Imperial...what a treat! There's no question that we will be back when we return to Vienna.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jimi54
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 10 April 2011

My wife & I stayed 4 nights at the Imperial and loved it. We had a Junior Suite and enjoyed the extra space. We prefer real air to air conditioning so appreciated the fact that the windows could open. The bed and pillows were "delicious", as my wife put it. Fantastic service at the front desk and very helpful and engaging bar/lounge staff. Internet was extra, as was the pay per view, so we purchased a package deal for both which had the best value. Perfect location for a walking tour plus a Hertz car rental office is right across the street. Handy!

Tips: Make sure you take the hotel stairway at least once! Enjoy coffee/lunch/brunch across the street at the corner cafe where the locals like to be "seen" and watch everyone stroll and drive by. Try to attend a concert at the symphony hall 20m behind the hotel. Great location! City bus tour was useful and enjoyable, given our short stay. Make sure you try the Weiner Schnitzel at the Schonbrunn Palace cafe/restaurant. Wonderful! The hotel restaurant is pretty pricy but we dove in once. Lots of good restaurants nearby at varying price levels.

Room Tip: Junior Suite with street view highly recommended.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank waterboy7
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Had a very nice stay at the Hotel Imperial at the end of March 2011. Rooms and the facility are tasteful, elegant and spacious. Staff was friendly, helpful and a valued addition for our stay. Easy access to all of Vienna. Sadly no access to free light weight Internet - so that I would not have to send this review from the (very lovely) cafe across the street.

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank Aehsdh
riccardo_giacometti, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, 8 April 2011
Dear reviewer,
thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel Imperial and for taking the time to comment on your stay. It is indeed a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and were overall satisfied with our staff and the level of service offered. Furthermore I herewith like to inform you that the internet access is free of charge at our Business Center.
Best regards from Vienna,
Riccardo Giacometti
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Stayed at the Imperial for 3 nights in February. Location is excellent. Just adjacent to the musikverein & a minutes walk from Kärtner Strasse. Excellent and most courteous staff throughout our stay. Rooms are great & very well maintained. Breakfast room was cosy and had an extensive spread. Staff were very helpful. Will definitely visit again when in Vienna.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank worldtraveller2012
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 16 February 2011

The rooms were ornate, but mine was fairly small. The bathroom had marble floors and were neat and tidy. There is just one elevator, so I would recommend staying on the lower levels. An annoying aspect was dropping off a huge key every time I left and having to stop at the front for my key upon return. Everything was fairly expensive- similar to the city. However it's a block away from the Opera and on the Ring, so the location is great. The staff were friendly and answered all my questions and even followed up afterward.

p.s. the Long Island drinks at the bar are the strongest concoctions ever made.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2011

A great old, atmospheric hotel. Very good location in the centre of the city. Air conditioning a little noisy in some rooms however and its on the expensive side.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business