“Historic Hotel, great location, fantastic rooms!”

Hotel Imperial Vienna
Ranked #15 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Sydney, Australia
“Historic Hotel, great location, fantastic rooms!”
Reviewed 17 June 2011

This is a wonderful hotel with ambience and a real sense of history. The location is perfect. It is close to a subway, close to the centre (10 mins walk approx), and walking distance to the best concert halls.

The rooms are truly amazing. We were graciously upgraded to a junior suit. Nice antique furniture, classic art work, chandeliers, ceilings that have to close to 20 feet high. Certainly the biggest and tallest hotel room doors I have ever seen.

The hotel staff were professional and quick to help. A little dry, but I think that is normal for Austrians? :-) The bell boy was extremely helpful and knew all the history of the hotel. Was very interesting to hear about the many intellectual giants that frequented the hotel and cafe in the last hundred years of so.

Certainly the hotel I will return to the next time I am in Vienna.

Vienna tip: The Stephensdom Church is awesome. Make sure you do both the spiral climb and the catacomb tour. Trust me, you will not forget it. No real reason to buy concert tickets ahead of time. There are hawkers / ticket agents the hand around the State Theatre. You can get great tickets at a fraction of the normal ticket cost as they try to fill the house each night.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gdundan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Paris
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Hotel Imperial is grand, elegant, supremely well-maintained and a true 5-star hotel. The rooms are spacious, very beautifully decorated, extremely comfortable, and in December, become a welcoming cocoon after strolling the streets in foggy damp weather. The enormous marble bathroom is exquisite, with heated floors, vast space and wonderful towels. The toiletries are of a lesser quality, and disappoint.
Lighting is discrete and romantic; bed linens are sumptuous.
Room service meals (breakfast and dinner) were no less than gorgeous, supremely delicious, and worth a visit to the hotel, just on their own. The Imperial Torte cannot be missed.
It is across from the Opera, minutes by foot from the Hofburg Palace and Museum Quarter. All in all, a truly beautiful, unique and historically elegant haven, very close to bustling historical Vienna, shops, Mozart concerts and wonderful museums and restaurants.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank IleStLouis
South West England, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,100 helpful votes
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Perfect location on the Ring Road with superb access to central Vienna and all the main sites. The hotel was smaller than I thought it would be and the reception and lobby seemed in need of sprucing up.
Rooms were elegant with excellent bathrooms, functional and cosy. Breakfast was first class.

Room Tip: Poor views at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank AvidTraveler12
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Imperial, Vienna during the 1st weekend of June and had a great stay in terms of location, the interiors of the hotel, and the Imperial torte at the café but a very poor stay in terms of service levels. I would probably return to this hotel maybe once more to “test it out” but for now I am sceptical of the value of $$ paid at this hotel. Just for the record, I am a frequent traveller and mostly stay in 5* hotels.

Firstly, the architecture and the interior of the hotel are impressive. It is very old world with fine details and oil paintings all around. Reviews from others in this thread have done a great job describing the interiors. Heads of states and presidents stay here often and once you walk into the hotel lobby you will understand why. The rooms are equally immaculate with chandeliers and marble bathrooms. There are a few rooms that are evidently poorer – these are the rooms made from the old servants quarters – try to avoid these by booking a rate that is a step higher than the lowest rate.

The restaurant is great – the chef that used to head restaurant Korso at the Bristol is the new head chef there – with great large portions! The foods are evidently expensive but nothing out of the ordinary given it is part of a luxurious hotel. I would highly recommend them. Speaking of food, you cannot skip the Imperial Torte. Words cannot do them justice – make sure you get yourself one during your stay!

The location is also great, though not as perfect as, say, the Sofitel. It is 1 minute away from the Musikverein and very close to the U-bahn and the tram stops. There are plenty cafes nearby for great Viennese breakfasts. There is no swimming pool, but the gym is well equipped with an attached sauna, available 24 hours a day.

The service levels, on the other hand, are mediocre at best. The staffs seem to be efficient in what they do but in large part are quite stiff. They do their jobs but do not go beyond what is expected, as in they do not ‘anticipate’ needs as it is usually expected from hotels of this category. You will receive no greetings from the staff walking about, and most will appear busy all the time. I have not had a single person smile at me during my whole stay. The worst of the pack would be the bellman who stands around not making eye contact with anybody throughout my whole stay. The concierge, however well-connected they may be, are also indifferent in their service. At hotels of this level I would expect them to at least look up and smile if they sense someone approaching them. Instead, I had to approach the desk, do an ‘ahem’ to get their attention, and once I made my request known, had the concierge give me the information in a very ‘efficient’ but ‘cold’ way. Maybe I was disturbing him from other things that are much more important?

This really dampens your stay in this beautiful hotel, as your attention is taken away from the luxurious surroundings to thinking about the impolite/indifferent gestures made by the staff you interact with. This sub-par level of service was especially disappointing given that I had just come from The Ring where we were made to feel like valued guests. So if you are planning a stay here, set your expectations right with regards to service levels and focus on the great building you get to stay in. If service is important to you, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank jaejaez
klauchr, Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, 10 June 2011
Dear “jaejaez“,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel during your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor and allow me to introduce myself as the new General Manager at Hotel Imperial in Vienna.

It was most disappointing for me to learn about your experience at our hotel, especially as upon further investigation with my team members on duty during these days, no indication had been noted about the lack of service and the perceived indifference of several colleagues that you highlight in your comments. I have also personally reviewed all available correspondence and could not retrieve any reference to your observations posted online. Rest assured that the lack of service focus and customer attention you described is in no way a reflection of the high standards this property stands for. From my own extensive observations over the past few weeks, I can also assure you that the service interactions described by you are not indicative of the general standards visible around the hotel.

Although I quite clearly cannot bear witness of what has transpired in the period before my arrival in Vienna, rest assured that no efforts will be spared to bring any inconsistency in service delivery back in line and provide all our valued customers with a uniquely memorable experience here at Hotel Imperial that is commensurate to our history and status. Please accept my personal and sincere apologies for any lack of attention you may have suffered during your honeymoon trip at our hotel.

In summary, we clearly have a lot of areas and space to improve our services and product and I can assure you once again of our sincerity to address these points. I would greatly appreciate if you were to channel your next reservation through my office to enable me to handle the arrangements personally.

It is unfortunate that we had to get to know each other in this way and I am confident that we will be able to regain your trust once again in the future.

If there is anything else I can do for you, your family or colleague, please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.

With sunny greetings from the music and culture capital of Europe,

KLAUS
GENERAL MANAGER
New Jersey
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Our first trip to Vienna and we chose the Hotel Imperial for a 4 night stay. Wonderful! From the moment we arrived, we new we were at a special property. The public areas are gorgeous and yes, you do feel like you're in a palace. Our room had a balcony facing the front of the hotel and was spacious, comfy and very well appointed. We loved the location which was convenient to everything but a bit quieter than some other properties. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and were all delightful. My wife and I felt like we went back in time, experiencing outstanding old fashioned service, the way it used to be and the way it is at the Hotel Imperial...what a treat! There's no question that we will be back when we return to Vienna.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jimi54
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 10 April 2011

My wife & I stayed 4 nights at the Imperial and loved it. We had a Junior Suite and enjoyed the extra space. We prefer real air to air conditioning so appreciated the fact that the windows could open. The bed and pillows were "delicious", as my wife put it. Fantastic service at the front desk and very helpful and engaging bar/lounge staff. Internet was extra, as was the pay per view, so we purchased a package deal for both which had the best value. Perfect location for a walking tour plus a Hertz car rental office is right across the street. Handy!

Tips: Make sure you take the hotel stairway at least once! Enjoy coffee/lunch/brunch across the street at the corner cafe where the locals like to be "seen" and watch everyone stroll and drive by. Try to attend a concert at the symphony hall 20m behind the hotel. Great location! City bus tour was useful and enjoyable, given our short stay. Make sure you try the Weiner Schnitzel at the Schonbrunn Palace cafe/restaurant. Wonderful! The hotel restaurant is pretty pricy but we dove in once. Lots of good restaurants nearby at varying price levels.

Room Tip: Junior Suite with street view highly recommended.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank waterboy7
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Had a very nice stay at the Hotel Imperial at the end of March 2011. Rooms and the facility are tasteful, elegant and spacious. Staff was friendly, helpful and a valued addition for our stay. Easy access to all of Vienna. Sadly no access to free light weight Internet - so that I would not have to send this review from the (very lovely) cafe across the street.

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank Aehsdh
riccardo_giacometti, General Manager at Hotel Imperial Vienna, responded to this review, 8 April 2011
Dear reviewer,
thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel Imperial and for taking the time to comment on your stay. It is indeed a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and were overall satisfied with our staff and the level of service offered. Furthermore I herewith like to inform you that the internet access is free of charge at our Business Center.
Best regards from Vienna,